My heart is breaking

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
Ok so a lot of you know the story about my Sebastian and the not son in law , well they have been doing better but recently Sebastian has stopped being aggressive to my daughter but is being ugly to the grand babies and it is getting ugly well he was trying to jump on the little one to get her milkshake and I told Sebastian firmly to go back to my room and he didn't want to hear it and got real ugly with me . I thought he was going to bite the **** out of me ! I am crying as I write this cause I am afraid he will have to have a new home . I believe this behavior is because he is not comfortable with Remy here and I can't make it better and I am angry and I am hurt but I can't have a dog that scares me even though I stood my ground I am afraid he going to really hurt someone and I don't understand cause mostly he is a sweetheart .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so a lot of you know the story about my Sebastian and the not son in law , well they have been doing better but recently Sebastian has stopped being aggressive to my daughter but is being ugly to the grand babies and it is getting ugly well he was trying to jump on the little one to get her milkshake and I told Sebastian firmly to go back to my room and he didn't want to hear it and got real ugly with me . I thought he was going to bite the **** out of me ! I am crying as I write this cause I am afraid he will have to have a new home . I believe this behavior is because he is not comfortable with Remy here and I can't make it better and I am angry and I am hurt but I can't have a dog that scares me even though I stood my ground I am afraid he going to really hurt someone and I don't understand cause mostly he is a sweetheart .

I'm so sorry Donna, he really needs to be seen by a professional trainer.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry Donna, that you're going through this with Sebastien, but I agree with Phil, I would look I to getting him a professional trainer (before you make a permanent decision), to see if he can figure out his triggers and what brings on his aggression or maybe it's jealousy. Maybe he can suggest some methods of correcting this behaviour. In the meantime, keep a close eye on him or keep him separated from the grandchildren just to be safe. I can only imagine how heartbreaking this is for you, and know how much you love Sebastien, but also know that if his aggression cannot be corrected you have to keep yourself and your grandchildren safe. My Dad has always had Black Labs, which are usually very gentle and loving dogs. He had one that was always a little aggressive right from a puppy, he thought it was a puppy phase, and he would grow out of it. Jake was never aggressive with my dad, but he started to show aggression to my step mother, and to the grandchildren, and great grandchildren, and also to children in the neighbourhood when they went on walks. My Dad tried some training with the breeder, and with himself, and as Jake got older, he progressively showed more aggression. One day my step mother was walking him, and he suddenly attacked her hand and ripped her skin, she needed some surgery to repair some of the tendons and the skin, and ended up with a scar. My Dad had to make the sad decision to put him down because he couldn't be trusted after that, and my dad was afraid for the kids. It broke his heart, and he hasn't got another dog, mostly because he's 78 now and doesn't have the same stamina for a big dog, but also because he was sad that he had to make that decision. He found out after from the breeder that the mother of that dog, also had aggressive tendencies, and that they had stopped breeding her. I hope you can find a way to deal with his aggression and find a way to keep him. Please keep us posted. I'm praying that this can be resolved. Is this new behaviour for him?, did your son in law tease him before?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You need a professional trainer, you need to step up, and you need to keep him away from negative crap.

If you can't do the above, then please, please please, place him with a reputable rescue. I'm sure many here can help you find one in your area.

Good luck.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Donna, Please do not give up on Sebastian, get a Professional Trainer. Pray this helps. Love and Prayers to You Donna and Sebastian.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Hi Donna, I had basically the exact same problem with a bulldog male we rescued. He was great at first but after a while he started to take over the house, he was fine with my husband but when he went away for work (mostly 3 weeks periods) it got out of hand. Frasier (the bulldog) started to be VERY dominant over me, to the point I was so scared of him I avoided him. I didn't dare to confront him as I was all alone at home. He would growl and bark me into corners and stare me out, I was seriously terrified of him.

We hired a trainer and it got much better, the reason we rehomed him was his constant fights with our other male Bennie, it got so bad they would fight with a closed door between them even:(

My point is... with a trainer it will get better and I believe it can even be completely sorted out:) Our dog trainer fell in love with Frasier and ended up adopting him from us, he is now a very well behaved balanced dog even though he's not neutered.

If Sebastian isn't neutered it can make a difference, un-neutered males needs "relief" about twice a year. Pain can also be a trigger... maybe his hips hurts or something else? Frasier had entropion, which could have been a trigger for him. There could be reasons for why he acts like that other than him just being aggressive, an experienced trainer will probably be able to see those things. Our trainer was the one that made us realize that Joey has hip dysplasia. I can really recommend hiring one, it's scary and hard to sort things like this out all by your own but with help it's much easier to know where to start and what to do and possibly if there is something going on with Sebastian. I hope it works out<3

OP
Enjnene

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I'm so sorry Donna, that you're going through this with Sebastien, but I agree with Phil, I would look I to getting him a professional trainer (before you make a permanent decision), to see if he can figure out his triggers and what brings on his aggression or maybe it's jealousy. Maybe he can suggest some methods of correcting this behaviour. In the meantime, keep a close eye on him or keep him separated from the grandchildren just to be safe. I can only imagine how heartbreaking this is for you, and know how much you love Sebastien, but also know that if his aggression cannot be corrected you have to keep yourself and your grandchildren safe. My Dad has always had Black Labs, which are usually very gentle and loving dogs. He had one that was always a little aggressive right from a puppy, he thought it was a puppy phase, and he would grow out of it. Jake was never aggressive with my dad, but he started to show aggression to my step mother, and to the grandchildren, and great grandchildren, and also to children in the neighbourhood when they went on walks. My Dad tried some training with the breeder, and with himself, and as Jake got older, he progressively showed more aggression. One day my step mother was walking him, and he suddenly attacked her hand and ripped her skin, she needed some surgery to repair some of the tendons and the skin, and ended up with a scar. My Dad had to make the sad decision to put him down because he couldn't be trusted after that, and my dad was afraid for the kids. It broke his heart, and he hasn't got another dog, mostly because he's 78 now and doesn't have the same stamina for a big dog, but also because he was sad that he had to make that decision. He found out after from the breeder that the mother of that dog, also had aggressive tendencies, and that they had stopped breeding her. I hope you can find a way to deal with his aggression and find a way to keep him. Please keep us posted. I'm praying that this can be resolved. Is this new behaviour for him?, did your son in law tease him before?

The son in law was angry my daghter brought him home that was a four and half hr ride with anger then yes he teased him when he was crated and I was not around , I had several witnesses to this but Sebastian was aggressive towards my daughter for awhile and they get along so he started being ugly to girls recently and it's when they come in my room so jealousy , or territorial maybe cause it's only when they walk in my room .

OP
Enjnene

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
I am going to talk with a trainer today and see if I can straighten him out before I get rid of him will keep you posted .

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
You don't need a trainer to tell you that the way your asshole son-in-law treats him plays a huge role in his aggression.

Training is only going to help if you're able to put an end to any "teasing" and "anger" he has towards your dog. I've read your posts in the past, your son-in-law has a huge issue with Sebastian.
If you can't do that, then I'm sorry, but I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say he'd be better off with someone else.

I can only imagine how hard this is for you, and the just the thought of giving my bullies up can bring me to tears.
At the same time, I also know that training will only do so much if I need to keep my boys in a home where they're constantly being harassed.

Good luck, Donna. My post may seem cold, but I do feel terrible, and my heart does go out to you and Sebastian. I absolutely do wish you both the very best.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You don't need a trainer to tell you that the way your asshole son-in-law treats him plays a huge role in his aggression.

Training is only going to help if you're able to put an end to any "teasing" and "anger" he has towards your dog. I've read your posts in the past, your son-in-law has a huge issue with Sebastian.
If you can't do that, then I'm sorry, but I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say he'd be better off with someone else.

I can only imagine how hard this is for you, and the just the thought of giving my bullies up can bring me to tears.
At the same time, I also know that training will only do so much if I need to keep my boys in a home where they're constantly being harassed.

Good luck, Donna. My post may seem cold, but I do feel terrible, and my heart does go out to you and Sebastian. I absolutely do wish you both the very best.

agreed.... if the son-in-law continues his behavior, Sebastian, regardless of training, will continue to feel the need to protect and guard

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I think it's the son-in-law that needs training! Your daughter needs to train him to respect you and your pet. Shame on her for allowing him to disrespect you this way even if you are in his home.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
agreed.... if the son-in-law continues his behavior, Sebastian, regardless of training, will continue to feel the need to protect and guard

I totally agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] The past treatment of Sebastion by the NSIL, his negativity, all this is remembered and sensed by him(Seb.). Dogs can easily feel "vibes" and are extremely sensitive to feelings in their living conditions. He is feeling the need to lash out, as he knows there is tension(which can translate to fear) in the situation. He is growing up and feeling the need to protect himself and you in this situation. I don't know if a trainer can help Sebastion in your living situation -I believe that is the root cause of his behavior. You may have to make a choice.......

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'm so sorry that you and Sebastian have to go through this. My heart breaks for you because I can't imagine living without my Ruckus.

I dont want want to seem cold either, but I don't think neutering Sebatian will have the effect you are hoping for and I don't see training working very well in this situation. It might help make him a little more comfortable with having the girls in your room, but you're not son in law sounds like he has really done a number on poor Sevastian and you can't train a dog to tolerate abuse. If he does these awful things to Sebastian that you know about, I'd hate to think what you don't know about. If Sebastian doesn't feel safe with everyone in the family he will continue to act out of fear and to protect himself and you against his perceived threat, your NSIL.

Sebastian needs love, room to exercise, and to be free from torment. Neutering and training won't help there. I wish you all the best and all the best for Sebastian. I know you love him and want him with you, but if you remain in that house, it seems like it might be in Sebastian's best interests to be elsewhere.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.