The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I figured it was time for another update in the adventures of Harlea's food saga. We are still using the THK Preference Base mix with wonderful results so far and have made some interesting discoveries along the way as we have ventured back in to giving her animal proteins again. So far we have tried beef, elk and chicken with some rather interesting results.

Beef: If she has no more than 1/4 cup per meal she is fine. Anymore and she breaks out in a rash. Fat content makes no difference and neither does the type whether it is grass fed, grain fed, kobe, angus it makes no difference 1/2 cup a day is max she can have.

Chicken: Similar to beef but she can only have free range, GMO/Antibiotic free no more than 1/4 cup per meal and she is fine.

Elk: This is a no go in any amount as she breakes out in hives within 30 minutes so this will also rule out venison as they are very similar.

Known allergies so far: Peanut butter, tap water, salmon, elk, duck, lamb, various synthetic fabrics, soy products, yogurt and white potatoes.

Next up are ostrich, bison and kangaroo which we are lucky enough to be able to source it all locally year round if it works for her. So while we haven't found the magic animal protein for her we are making progress none the less. Even with all the changes we have made the vet is happy with her progress and she has maintained her 35lb girlish figure throughout all of this.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is very interesting Todd. Especially when speaking of the amount that is given. Have you tried combining the two proteins (beef & chicken) in smaller amounts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY wow... she has quite the list of allergens! i knew a pitbull that was allergic to all poultry, beef and lamb.... i think they ended up doing a white fish blend made by a holistic vet

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
This is very interesting Todd. Especially when speaking of the amount that is given. Have you tried combining the two proteins (beef & chicken) in smaller amounts?
Funny that you mention that. Her breakfast this morning was 1/8 cup chicken and 1/8 cup beef and so far so good.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Glad you found something that seems to be working! Happy for Harlea and you! Paws crossed that it continues!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.