New to this group,

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi all I wonder if anyone can help, my little girl who is five month old has been poorly since she was ten week old having got a URI which turned into pneumonia she spent some time in the EV since then we have been fighting this horrible congestion sound which tends to come and go as you imagine we have been back and fourth to the vet that many times I've lost count feel so sorry for the little girl as we just don't seem to be able to get to the bottom off it, has anyone else had experience with this before

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so very sorry hearing this, I can imagine your grief & frustration.
Without more specifics I can't give more advice other than building
up her immune system to fight off the infections & pneumonia.

Putting Ruby in my prayers (over y'all too) and hoping others here
can share their experiences & help. I would try to find an experienced
Holistic Vet (w/great rep, ask for references) as too many regular Vets
only push antibiotics & more antibiotics, as time goes on, these kill GOOD
bacteria & weaken the immune system so it can't fight off these infections.
I'll be thinking of herbs that work. Sending you Hope, Strength, Courage &
Big Hugs of Love, don't give up, hang on, GOD bless & favor y'all & Ruby <3

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you for your reply, she is over the pneumonia and URI but we just can't seem to get to the bottom of this mucous sounding congestion, we seem to think we've got rid of it then it comes back - whenever we take her to the vets they just give antibiotics she has also chewed on of her paws I'm wondering if this could be related to allergies? The congestion doesn't seem to bother her she still plays, eats and drinks no problem think it bothers me more then her, I have searched the net holistic vets but just don't seem to be able to find any

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It could be allergies, especially now as it's prime allergy season.

It could also just be the typical bulldog breathing. As they get older, many of them start to sound more "congested". It's usually due to an elongated palate.
I know that Wellie sounds like an elephant because of his.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank-you for your reply, she is over the pneumonia and URI but we just can't seem to get to the bottom of this mucous sounding congestion, we seem to think we've got rid of it then it comes back - whenever we take her to the vets they just give antibiotics she has also chewed on of her paws I'm wondering if this could be related to allergies? The congestion doesn't seem to bother her she still plays, eats and drinks no problem think it bothers me more then her, I have searched the net holistic vets but just don't seem to be able to find any

Has she been evaluated for elongated palate?

What do you feed her?

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
No she's not been evaluated for her plate she is our first ever bully so all this is new to us, should we be asking our vet about her palate? We feed her purina puppy food this is what her breeder was feeding her

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks Blueberrys mom - we are over in the UK, she is our first ever bully so all this is new to me and may just be worrying over nothing but she is my baby and would hate see her poorly again

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No she's not been evaluated for her plate she is our first ever bully so all this is new to us, should we be asking our vet about her palate? We feed her purina puppy food this is what her breeder was feeding her

I'd put her on a GRAIN FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE diet, many bullies are allergic
to chicken so watch for this in Ruby. Not sure what is available in UK, hopefully our
UK members can advise you. Another option is to cook your own & feed her or feed
RAW diet. Under the Forums heading (at top) there are many categories to read
about bulldog diets, allergies & health issues...so much to learn and so very helpful.
We all had to start somewhere! Do your Vets think her breathing is loud or raspy?
Have you taken Ruby for a 2nd evaluation and/or opinion? It's great you've joined
EBN, so much knowledge, help & generous sharing available, Welcome!

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you I will have a look at the forums - whenever we've took her to our regular vet they would just say she sounds a little congest and give her an antibiotic injection - we took her to a different vets on Wednesday as I thought a fresh set of eyes and ears might help he listened to her chest and said she sounded raspy and to start her on a course of noroclav antibiotics - I hate having to keep giving her antibiotics as she's so young and has been on that many already

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello and :welcome3: to EBN.... Carol and Ellie gave you great advice... palate or allergies. You can give your girl Benedryl 1mg per pound up to 3x a day to help clear dome of the mucus... regular adult Benedryl tablets, not Children's.

also, look into a better food.. James Well Beloved is on i can think of in the UK. Going to tag Pati as she will have more suggestion.

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thanks 2bullymama - do I give her the benedryl preeminently or just when her congestion seems to start up?

I'l give James well beloved a try also with we kept her on the purina pro plan as that's what the breeder was feeding her - I'm will to give anything a try to try and help ruby with her congestion

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Sounding congested could be also due to elongated soft palete and everted laryngeal saccules - both can be corrected
Both needed to be check when your pup is under - vet with enough experience in brachycephalic breeds would definitely be a good idea
Without knowing whats wrong with a pup good vet would not prescribe any antibiotics
Keep us updated
Ps what part of uk you are from

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Hi Pati,

we are in blackpool.

Would this be something they would check when ruby is spayed? Or is it best I get them to check for it now rather then wait till she's spayed?

The vet we went to see on Wednesday was one I had found on the bulldog rescue recommend vets list although I wasn't that fond of him he seem a little obnoxious for my liking he didn't seem to want to listen to our concerns.

My own vets where very good with ruby when she had, the upper respiratory infection & pneumonia, they took great care of her, ruby actually gets excited when we pull up outside the vets now ( she's the only dog I know that loves going to the vets lol) but I just feel we are going round in circles with this congestion sound and just don't seem to be getting to the bottom of it and I worry that she could become really poorly with it

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi Pati,

we are in blackpool.

Would this be something they would check when ruby is spayed? Or is it best I get them to check for it now rather then wait till she's spayed?

The vet we went to see on Wednesday was one I had found on the bulldog rescue recommend vets list although I wasn't that fond of him he seem a little obnoxious for my liking he didn't seem to want to listen to our concerns.

My own vets where very good with ruby when she had, the upper respiratory infection & pneumonia, they took great care of her, ruby actually gets excited when we pull up outside the vets now ( she's the only dog I know that loves going to the vets lol) but I just feel we are going round in circles with this congestion sound and just don't seem to be getting to the bottom of it and I worry that she could become really poorly with it

Hi hun , they can check this when she get spayed , most of short faced dogs i know of had them corrected asap , the thing is -if it is one of the things i mentioned its best to do it now rather than wait -as with amount if exercise even radiator heat it might make Ruby a little but uncomfortable

Obnoxious vet? I had few like this before x
I just asked and heard that The rufford group vets in southport and are very good if this is any help for you xxx

OP
ruby

ruby

Oct 19, 2014
Blackpool, uk
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Thank-you I'm not sure how far out southport is from here but will google map it - I will defiantly ask them to check them, it doesn't seem to bother her she still eats drinks and plays fine, think it bothers me more then it does her. But if it needs doing and going to help she will be having it done,

Thank-you again for your help wish I'd of found this group when months ago when she first took poorly and I was at my wits ends with worry

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.