"BLUE" Bullies?

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Excuse my ignorance but aren't all dogs, especially show dogs bred for specific characteristics? Aren't pure white bulldogs among the most expensive, if not the most expensive because of their rare color? It's my understanding that the blue gene is a normal trait that few dogs carry and it becomes a simple matter of breeding practices to increase the likelihood of the color. No different than white or piebald, ETC. I cant see the pics of the puppies in question but based on the description, I believe I have seen them online. I agree that they look like they have sharpei in them. I dont agree with the practice of manipulating a breed through other breeds. However, if it's a natural trait/characteristic I dont see a problem with breeding to increase the desired look, as long as its healthy.

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
Excuse my ignorance but aren't all dogs, especially show dogs bred for specific characteristics? Aren't pure white bulldogs among the most expensive, if not the most expensive because of their rare color? It's my understanding that the blue gene is a normal trait that few dogs carry and it becomes a simple matter of breeding practices to increase the likelihood of the color. No different than white or piebald, ETC. I cant see the pics of the puppies in question but based on the description, I believe I have seen them online. I agree that they look like they have sharpei in them. I dont agree with the practice of manipulating a breed through other breeds. However, if it's a natural trait/characteristic I dont see a problem with breeding to increase the desired look, as long as its healthy.

Red brindle is the most desirable color for the show ring. White really isn't all that rare.

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Red brindle is the most desirable color for the show ring. White really isn't all that rare.

I assumed they were. Why are they so expensive? Im talking pure white, no patches, marks, freckles...

ame16

Oct 18, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor ('Elly')
I assumed they were. Why are they so expensive? Im talking pure white, no patches, marks, freckles...

I can't answer that. I've never seen a reptuable breeder charge a premium based solely on the fact that the dog is white.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
When we got Gracie we didn't know blues were anything special. We paid the same for her as any other breeders were asking for their pups. After reading this thread I started doing research and found similar color pups with blue eyes going for upwards of eight or nine thousand dollars!!!! I don't know why she was priced so cheap but I never knew about the colors until I saw her.

KelseyandAtticus

Aug 8, 2012
Athens, West Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Atticus
[MENTION=7451]Coach[/MENTION]...Atticus is an all white bulldog. I don't know much about aka specifics so forgive me if this is ignorant. Atty is desirable bc he's very white. Aren't the genes that make him all white make him undesirable in the show ring and for breeding....he has no eye markings and his nose is pink. I love him no matter what and none of those things are why we bought him. Plus we paid what I consider a decent price $1800....just curious as to why show people and breeders get so caught up in that

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
bLUES cLUES.JPG

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
@Coach...Atticus is an all white bulldog. I don't know much about aka specifics so forgive me if this is ignorant. Atty is desirable bc he's very white. Aren't the genes that make him all white make him undesirable in the show ring and for breeding....he has no eye markings and his nose is pink. I love him no matter what and none of those things are why we bought him. Plus we paid what I consider a decent price $1800....just curious as to why show people and breeders get so caught up in that

I honestly dont know much about the show dog world, ETC. All I know about bulldogs is what I have read and from my own personal experience in shopping for them. I've been looking for years! Not that I havent found any but never found the one I was ready to pay that much money for. We got Herschel on a whim because my wifes sister had a litter when we went to visit. In my search it seemed as though pure white bulldogs were few and far between and ALWAYS more expensive than their brothers and sisters. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places but I believed I was exhausting my options. Again, I dont know much about confirmation, teeth and all the other show aspects, I just know what I was looking for. Someone in an earlier post mentioned some old guys sitting around... I believe it's just that.

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
I understand everyone's opinions on the Blues but I have a nine week old Blue female that is awesome and we are crazy about her :)
epuqetet.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon van houkje

Mar 17, 2014
Groningen, North Holland
Country
Holland
Bulldog(s) Names
Leon Van T' Houkje
The breeder when I got Leon from offered me a bulldog with blue eyes for a cheaper price but also asked if I bought it not to breed it. Why cheaper ? And why not to breed it ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The breeder when I got Leon from offered me a bulldog with blue eyes for a cheaper price but also asked if I bought it not to breed it. Why cheaper ? And why not to breed it ?

They are not considered standard and if breed can continue to pass on the non-standard genes. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is that correct?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] yes that is true.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.