"BLUE" Bullies?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver and Sebastian's breeder is always advertising puppies that are blue carriers and asking higher prices for them. She also asks higher prices if they happen to be born with one or both eyes blue!! She is really not very knowledgable I've since found out and thinks that cherry eye is the worst inherited disease her dogs could have. Or at least she did until Sebastian got diagnosed with pulmonic stenosis and she figured out that his dad carried it. Let's just say that rescues have taken a number of dogs from her and they've all been sick but she always claims that they aren't her dogs, they belong to a friend of hers. That's also where Goldie came from. I'm so glad that Remy came from one of the best breeders and even though he was also diagnosed with pulmonic stenosis it wasn't through any wrong doing of his breeder. In fact, the next puppy I adopt I am planning on adopting from the same breeder. I just :luv: [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm a relatively new Bulldog owner. My three Bullies came to me through . I made no effort to get a special color or particularly small pup. Mine are just regular Bulldogs insofar as I can tell. I bought Lily and Abby, litter mate sisters, at the same time. As you might know from my previous posts, Abby died suddenly at 10 months from an apparent (but not proven) genetic abnormality. Probably an aneurism. The breeder immediately, and without any coaxing, offered us full credit toward another puppy. That's when we got Daisy. Now it looks like Daisy came to us with Blasto. We are waiting for clinical conformation, but she's already taking the drug for it. We don't have Blasto contaminated soil here in Nevada, but they do in Ohio where the breeder is. In defense of the breeder, from what I've read, there's no way an Ohio resident can test the soil, or identify potential Blasto infected areas. It's just an unfortunate and unavoidable risk in that part of the country. My Bullies have all been of normal size. At 19 months, Lily weighs in at a healthy 65 pounds. Abby was slightly bigger and heavier than Lily when she died. Daisy looks as if she will mature to be at least as big as Lily. I'm waiting for clinical conformation before bringing Daisy's problem to the breeder's attention. FYI, I paid ordinary prices for my pups, nothing exorbitant. I'll let you know how it all develops.

What in the world is BLASTO? Moreover, why would someone breed dogs if there was a danger of whatever it is affecting the unborn pups? My heart breaks for you for what happened with Abby....and if there's something up with this new pup, I'd have to say "Three strikes and you're out" to that breeder.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
UGHHHH!! Blue (or black) Bulldogs DO NOT come from reputable, ethical breeders. Period.

Sure, the color is rare, but that doesn't mean they're more valuable. It's like people charging crazy prices for "designer dogs" ~ like Labradoodles or Cockapoos or whatever they call them now ~ simply because of their name. They're still mutts. Save yourself the dough and go save a life at a shelter!

I would encourage anyone who is looking for a Bulldog to first get involved with their closest Bulldog club. Make friends with people IN the breed to learn more about THE breed. There are a ton of nut jobs out there just trying to make a buck off their dogs, which is downright disgusting.:angry:

While I agree with what you are trying to get to come across with this statement, no one should use a blanket statement that blue or blacks "DO NOT come from reputable, ethical breeders." For the reason that there may be someone on here who has say, a black bulldog and he or she may feel bad for having a black bully when we don't know how they got it or the breeder. I just think that statements like this have the potential to really hurt someone's feelings and make that person feel insecure about their bully. There are lots of unneutered/spayed on here or live in very hot climates and no one would like to be told they are not responsible pet owners because I'm sure they are not.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
a "Blue"carrier refers to a dog that caries the dilution gene which can dilute the color black and make a "blue" which is a gray color really. Or it can also dilute any other colors. Hence, the name dilution gene.

I agree with you guys, as far as not agreeing with he practice of selling "rare color" dog for more money just so the breeder can make a buck. But some people do like the look of these colors, and these colors have been around in the bulldog breed so a lot longer than some of you may think. I really don't think you should judge a dog by it's coat! I am a firm believer of this. I own a bulldog, that carries the blue and chocolate genes, I did not pay any extra for him and so far no major health problems, in fact, he seems more health that our other standard colored bulldog.

I don't really see the problem of people breeding for a color, as long as they are also breeding for healthy dogs. Haven't people been breeding dogs, changing the ways they look for thousands of years?
[MENTION=2488]babybully[/MENTION] said it well. [MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION], [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] [MENTION=632]doblackburn[/MENTION]

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Gracie is a blue and lemon yellow brindle. We didn't pay anymore for her than the standard price of other bulldogs in our area and the breeder didn't seem to think she was anything special (color wise). She does have blue eyes. She seems to be healthy so far. Her skin is clear and her coat is soft. I hadn't heard of "designer" bulldogs until after I brought her home. I also found out she's an olde..so that might help with some of the health issues. I'll keep you posted as she grows.

I just think she's the neatest little thing. We all love our bully's no matter what shape, size or color they come in. Unless you are the judge in the show ring, it's just an opinion. :fart: You know what they say about opinions ................and everybody's got one.

M

mabel lou

I know someone who has puppies that are blue gene carriers, the dam is black and she had them tested and not all of them have it but she charges an arm an a leg for hers. They are just normal bullies and they are no different then any bully puppy I have ever seen. She had her last two that didn't sell for almost 9mths. She did end up selling them eventually but omg I just couldn't believe it.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Oh yeah...I'm not offended...just under informed lol. But I will keep y'all up to date with her. And i wouldn't trade her for anything :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm a relatively new Bulldog owner. My three Bullies came to me through . I made no effort to get a special color or particularly small pup. Mine are just regular Bulldogs insofar as I can tell. I bought Lily and Abby, litter mate sisters, at the same time. As you might know from my previous posts, Abby died suddenly at 10 months from an apparent (but not proven) genetic abnormality. Probably an aneurism. The breeder immediately, and without any coaxing, offered us full credit toward another puppy. That's when we got Daisy. Now it looks like Daisy came to us with Blasto. We are waiting for clinical conformation, but she's already taking the drug for it. We don't have Blasto contaminated soil here in Nevada, but they do in Ohio where the breeder is. In defense of the breeder, from what I've read, there's no way an Ohio resident can test the soil, or identify potential Blasto infected areas. It's just an unfortunate and unavoidable risk in that part of the country. My Bullies have all been of normal size. At 19 months, Lily weighs in at a healthy 65 pounds. Abby was slightly bigger and heavier than Lily when she died. Daisy looks as if she will mature to be at least as big as Lily. I'm waiting for clinical conformation before bringing Daisy's problem to the breeder's attention. FYI, I paid ordinary prices for my pups, nothing exorbitant. I'll let you know how it all develops.

My sincere condolences for losing Abby in such a tragic way (and so young too) and now
​these possible problems with Lily. I sure will keep you & your bullies in my prayers.

VegasGeorge

Jan 13, 2013
Sin City in the Great Mojave Desert
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Daisy
What in the world is BLASTO? Moreover, why would someone breed dogs if there was a danger of whatever it is affecting the unborn pups? My heart breaks for you for what happened with Abby....and if there's something up with this new pup, I'd have to say "Three strikes and you're out" to that breeder.

Blasto is a common name for Blastomytosis, a fungal infection dogs get from breathing in spores from infected soil. It only appears in certain areas of the country, including the Ohio river valley. It turned out that my Daisy DID NOT have Blasto after all. She was simply suffering from a bacterial infection and is doing fine. I can't say what part, if any, breeding played in Abby's death. Sometimes those things just happen. The breeder acted very responsibly and promptly in her case, and showed great concern. My Lily, who is Abby's litter mate, is a fine, healthy dog with no apparent problems. I have no reason to question the breeder's practices or integrity.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Blasto is a common name for Blastomytosis, a fungal infection dogs get from breathing in spores from infected soil. It only appears in certain areas of the country, including the Ohio river valley. It turned out that my Daisy DID NOT have Blasto after all. She was simply suffering from a bacterial infection and is doing fine. I can't say what part, if any, breeding played in Abby's death. Sometimes those things just happen. The breeder acted very responsibly and promptly in her case, and showed great concern. My Lily, who is Abby's litter mate, is a fine, healthy dog with no apparent problems. I have no reason to question the breeder's practices or integrity.

Great news! I'm so happy for you that you have two beautiful, healthy bullies!!

And yes, things happen that are NO ONE'S fault...I just lost my bully, Brutus in the
process of cleaning his teeth...badly infected. He had several owners and no prior
dental care, I suspected he also had a broken or cracked tooth from it's appearance.
Experienced bully vets, bloodwork was normal, Brutus had come up from anesthesia
fine. 15 minutes later he was gone, they think from an arrythmia suddenly developed.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
[MENTION=3104]mendomama[/MENTION] Thank you, I was very worried about upsetting anyone and I very rarely stick up for myself or anyone else for that matter I just wanted everyone to feel that no matter what their bully's color he or she is the best bully ever to them. I just couldn't help myself from thinking of that one newbie who has a black or blue one and is now feeling like they would be judged about how or where they got their precious baby at. I know that black is undesirable in the show ring though but is blue considered the same show-wise? I personally never like brindles until we got our Cleo and now I guess I look at them more and love it. She's a red and white brindle and make is a red-fawn color with the dark stripe going down his back. I think Aldo Chocolate's a very beautiful cocoa color with green eyes though!! Woo-wee, Mac better watch out or I'll be giving Cleo a dowry for Aldo's family.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
There's a reason for AKC Breed Standards. It's not just a bunch of old fogeys saying - eh, let's take that, let's ditch that. Breed standards are chosen for the stability of the characteristic. That is, dogs with those standard characteristics have a high likelihood of genetic defects being eliminated from the gene pool. To establish a breed standard takes tons of breeding and genetic testing.

So, when a breeder says... blue bullys here - very rare - cost tons of money... always be careful. There are two types of breeders that do this: 1.) Breeders that are still in the process of "proving out" a characteristic, 2.) Breeders that are out for the money. The first one, of course, are the good guys. The second one are the bad guys. Of course, if you're the good guy and wants to cash out on your investment by selling the puppies for mega-bucks, that's fine in my own opinion.

What I know about mini bulldogs and big bulldogs... the Amitola breeding program is trying to establish a line of bulldogs that correct most of the known problems of the breed (knocking their dogs out of AKC breed standard qualification). They have 3 different lines - small, regular, large. The 3 lines are intended to find the best bully size that would support their biological systems. Or so the breeder says.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Yeah..I've had one before. Vegas got into some blue paint...tracked it all over the floor. It wasn't very nice OR pretty. Little paw prints all over the place. (he no longer is aloud to help me paint in the craft room) Luckily...I was able to bathe the blue off him and restore him to his beautiful red color. :whew:

ROFLMAO, Tyler(RIP) left his paw prints on our freshly re-finished redwood deck.

AmyEbert

Sep 16, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
ehu8e4un.jpg

My Gus is black and white but I didn't set out looking for a black bulldog. His litter mates were all different colors. He was the sweetest of them all and the runt. His sister was a brindle but very bossy and bullied all the other puppies. So based on personality and not color is how I ended up with my Gus. I never really thought about color when I started looking for a puppy. He just seemed to be the sweetest of the bunch and I have a soft spot for runts and the not so perfect dogs. But he quickly grew and is a healthy 50lbs at 10 months.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I know that black is undesirable in the show ring though but is blue considered the same show-wise?

I am no expert, but I do do my fare share of research , mostly right here on EBN. I believe they also do not allow blue to be judged. I believe black dogs are not allowed into the akc because black in a dominant color and if you breed for black than eventually the entire breed will be black. I think I read that some where here once, and that's the way I understood it. I not sure if blue is the same, or not.

The thing that confuses me about all of this rare color stuff and the AKC, is if blues are not AKC acceptable, why did I get a AKC regestraion form with my dog who is a blue carrier?:confused:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.