Thread: "BLUE" Bullies?

Bike riding, bully loving soldier Become a 4 Paw Member PapaSmurf2's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rob McKinnell
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "BLUE" Bullies?

Oh yeah...I'm not offended...just under informed lol. But I will keep y'all up to date with her. And i wouldn't trade her for anything
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men that have died (in battle). Rather we should thank God that such men have lived.

George S. Patton

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    I'm a relatively new Bulldog owner. My three Bullies came to me through . I made no effort to get a special color or particularly small pup. Mine are just regular Bulldogs insofar as I can tell. I bought Lily and Abby, litter mate sisters, at the same time. As you might know from my previous posts, Abby died suddenly at 10 months from an apparent (but not proven) genetic abnormality. Probably an aneurism. The breeder immediately, and without any coaxing, offered us full credit toward another puppy. That's when we got Daisy. Now it looks like Daisy came to us with Blasto. We are waiting for clinical conformation, but she's already taking the drug for it. We don't have Blasto contaminated soil here in Nevada, but they do in Ohio where the breeder is. In defense of the breeder, from what I've read, there's no way an Ohio resident can test the soil, or identify potential Blasto infected areas. It's just an unfortunate and unavoidable risk in that part of the country. My Bullies have all been of normal size. At 19 months, Lily weighs in at a healthy 65 pounds. Abby was slightly bigger and heavier than Lily when she died. Daisy looks as if she will mature to be at least as big as Lily. I'm waiting for clinical conformation before bringing Daisy's problem to the breeder's attention. FYI, I paid ordinary prices for my pups, nothing exorbitant. I'll let you know how it all develops.
    My sincere condolences for losing Abby in such a tragic way (and so young too) and now
    ​these possible problems with Lily. I sure will keep you & your bullies in my prayers.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily and Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    What in the world is BLASTO? Moreover, why would someone breed dogs if there was a danger of whatever it is affecting the unborn pups? My heart breaks for you for what happened with Abby....and if there's something up with this new pup, I'd have to say "Three strikes and you're out" to that breeder.
    Blasto is a common name for Blastomytosis, a fungal infection dogs get from breathing in spores from infected soil. It only appears in certain areas of the country, including the Ohio river valley. It turned out that my Daisy DID NOT have Blasto after all. She was simply suffering from a bacterial infection and is doing fine. I can't say what part, if any, breeding played in Abby's death. Sometimes those things just happen. The breeder acted very responsibly and promptly in her case, and showed great concern. My Lily, who is Abby's litter mate, is a fine, healthy dog with no apparent problems. I have no reason to question the breeder's practices or integrity.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    Blasto is a common name for Blastomytosis, a fungal infection dogs get from breathing in spores from infected soil. It only appears in certain areas of the country, including the Ohio river valley. It turned out that my Daisy DID NOT have Blasto after all. She was simply suffering from a bacterial infection and is doing fine. I can't say what part, if any, breeding played in Abby's death. Sometimes those things just happen. The breeder acted very responsibly and promptly in her case, and showed great concern. My Lily, who is Abby's litter mate, is a fine, healthy dog with no apparent problems. I have no reason to question the breeder's practices or integrity.

Great news! I'm so happy for you that you have two beautiful, healthy bullies!!

And yes, things happen that are NO ONE'S fault...I just lost my bully, Brutus in the
    process of cleaning his teeth...badly infected. He had several owners and no prior
    dental care, I suspected he also had a broken or cracked tooth from it's appearance.
    Experienced bully vets, bloodwork was normal, Brutus had come up from anesthesia
    fine. 15 minutes later he was gone, they think from an arrythmia suddenly developed.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

@mendomama Thank you, I was very worried about upsetting anyone and I very rarely stick up for myself or anyone else for that matter I just wanted everyone to feel that no matter what their bully's color he or she is the best bully ever to them. I just couldn't help myself from thinking of that one newbie who has a black or blue one and is now feeling like they would be judged about how or where they got their precious baby at. I know that black is undesirable in the show ring though but is blue considered the same show-wise? I personally never like brindles until we got our Cleo and now I guess I look at them more and love it. She's a red and white brindle and make is a red-fawn color with the dark stripe going down his back. I think Aldo Chocolate's a very beautiful cocoa color with green eyes though!! Woo-wee, Mac better watch out or I'll be giving Cleo a dowry for Aldo's family.

6. Likes Hceril liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

There's a reason for AKC Breed Standards. It's not just a bunch of old fogeys saying - eh, let's take that, let's ditch that. Breed standards are chosen for the stability of the characteristic. That is, dogs with those standard characteristics have a high likelihood of genetic defects being eliminated from the gene pool. To establish a breed standard takes tons of breeding and genetic testing.

So, when a breeder says... blue bullys here - very rare - cost tons of money... always be careful. There are two types of breeders that do this: 1.) Breeders that are still in the process of "proving out" a characteristic, 2.) Breeders that are out for the money. The first one, of course, are the good guys. The second one are the bad guys. Of course, if you're the good guy and wants to cash out on your investment by selling the puppies for mega-bucks, that's fine in my own opinion.

What I know about mini bulldogs and big bulldogs... the Amitola breeding program is trying to establish a line of bulldogs that correct most of the known problems of the breed (knocking their dogs out of AKC breed standard qualification). They have 3 different lines - small, regular, large. The 3 lines are intended to find the best bully size that would support their biological systems. Or so the breeder says.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Yeah..I've had one before. Vegas got into some blue paint...tracked it all over the floor. It wasn't very nice OR pretty. Little paw prints all over the place. (he no longer is aloud to help me paint in the craft room) Luckily...I was able to bathe the blue off him and restore him to his beautiful red color.
    ROFLMAO, Tyler(RIP) left his paw prints on our freshly re-finished redwood deck.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gus
    Likes (Received)

My Gus is black and white but I didn't set out looking for a black bulldog. His litter mates were all different colors. He was the sweetest of them all and the runt. His sister was a brindle but very bossy and bullied all the other puppies. So based on personality and not color is how I ended up with my Gus. I never really thought about color when I started looking for a puppy. He just seemed to be the sweetest of the bunch and I have a soft spot for runts and the not so perfect dogs. But he quickly grew and is a healthy 50lbs at 10 months.

10. Likes karla9895 liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by babybully View Post
    I know that black is undesirable in the show ring though but is blue considered the same show-wise?
    I am no expert, but I do do my fare share of research , mostly right here on EBN. I believe they also do not allow blue to be judged. I believe black dogs are not allowed into the akc because black in a dominant color and if you breed for black than eventually the entire breed will be black. I think I read that some where here once, and that's the way I understood it. I not sure if blue is the same, or not.

The thing that confuses me about all of this rare color stuff and the AKC, is if blues are not AKC acceptable, why did I get a AKC regestraion form with my dog who is a blue carrier?
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Herschel
    Likes (Received)

Excuse my ignorance but aren't all dogs, especially show dogs bred for specific characteristics? Aren't pure white bulldogs among the most expensive, if not the most expensive because of their rare color? It's my understanding that the blue gene is a normal trait that few dogs carry and it becomes a simple matter of breeding practices to increase the likelihood of the color. No different than white or piebald, ETC. I cant see the pics of the puppies in question but based on the description, I believe I have seen them online. I agree that they look like they have sharpei in them. I dont agree with the practice of manipulating a breed through other breeds. However, if it's a natural trait/characteristic I dont see a problem with breeding to increase the desired look, as long as its healthy.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

As @Coach said, "as long as its healthy". Health and temperament are the most important in breeding!

Real Name
    Anthony
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Eleanor ('Elly')
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but aren't all dogs, especially show dogs bred for specific characteristics? Aren't pure white bulldogs among the most expensive, if not the most expensive because of their rare color? It's my understanding that the blue gene is a normal trait that few dogs carry and it becomes a simple matter of breeding practices to increase the likelihood of the color. No different than white or piebald, ETC. I cant see the pics of the puppies in question but based on the description, I believe I have seen them online. I agree that they look like they have sharpei in them. I dont agree with the practice of manipulating a breed through other breeds. However, if it's a natural trait/characteristic I dont see a problem with breeding to increase the desired look, as long as its healthy.
    Red brindle is the most desirable color for the show ring. White really isn't all that rare.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads