Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "BLUE" Bullies?

Potty Trainer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily and Daisy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "BLUE" Bullies?

I'm a relatively new Bulldog owner. My three Bullies came to me through . I made no effort to get a special color or particularly small pup. Mine are just regular Bulldogs insofar as I can tell. I bought Lily and Abby, litter mate sisters, at the same time. As you might know from my previous posts, Abby died suddenly at 10 months from an apparent (but not proven) genetic abnormality. Probably an aneurism. The breeder immediately, and without any coaxing, offered us full credit toward another puppy. That's when we got Daisy. Now it looks like Daisy came to us with Blasto. We are waiting for clinical conformation, but she's already taking the drug for it. We don't have Blasto contaminated soil here in Nevada, but they do in Ohio where the breeder is. In defense of the breeder, from what I've read, there's no way an Ohio resident can test the soil, or identify potential Blasto infected areas. It's just an unfortunate and unavoidable risk in that part of the country. My Bullies have all been of normal size. At 19 months, Lily weighs in at a healthy 65 pounds. Abby was slightly bigger and heavier than Lily when she died. Daisy looks as if she will mature to be at least as big as Lily. I'm waiting for clinical conformation before bringing Daisy's problem to the breeder's attention. FYI, I paid ordinary prices for my pups, nothing exorbitant. I'll let you know how it all develops.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 01-16-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Breeder name removed

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

I have been on that website that is in this post and seen the blue bulldogs but also they feed them this mush that they show in one of the pictures and it makes me wonder what they are feeding them to make them that wrinkled and so different? Anything that messes with this breed I feel will be bringing in more health issues! Also I dont believe mini bulldogs are healthy either. If you naturally have a small bulldog that was a runt or something that is different but when you try to breed down just to make a smaller bulldog that is when problems happen.

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BruceP View Post
    I checked out their website.... that puppy now belongs to Joe Jonas of the Jonas Brothers..... Can't imagine what he paid to that puppy... yikes!One thing I noticed was that most of their puppies are VERY wrinkled.... I wonder when it becomes too much in the case of wrinkles.?
    To me they look like they have Chinese Shar Pei in them.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Baconator; 01-16-2013 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Link removal
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

I've seen that website and their blue colored blue eyed bulldogs and chocolate colored green eyed bulldogs cost anywhere from $15k-$25k. Totally disagree with breeding these colors just to price gouge! Does anyone know for a fact that these colored bulldogs are unhealthier?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I have been told by a couple of breeders that the blues tend to have more health issues, mainly skin.

Bike riding, bully loving soldier Become a 4 Paw Member PapaSmurf2's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rob McKinnell
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie
    Likes (Received)

Gracie is a blue and lemon yellow brindle. We didn't pay anymore for her than the standard price of other bulldogs in our area and the breeder didn't seem to think she was anything special (color wise). She does have blue eyes. She seems to be healthy so far. Her skin is clear and her coat is soft. I hadn't heard of "designer" bulldogs until after I brought her home. I also found out she's an olde..so that might help with some of the health issues. I'll keep you posted as she grows.
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men that have died (in battle). Rather we should thank God that such men have lived.

George S. Patton

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Oliver and Sebastian's breeder is always advertising puppies that are blue carriers and asking higher prices for them. She also asks higher prices if they happen to be born with one or both eyes blue!! She is really not very knowledgable I've since found out and thinks that cherry eye is the worst inherited disease her dogs could have. Or at least she did until Sebastian got diagnosed with pulmonic stenosis and she figured out that his dad carried it. Let's just say that rescues have taken a number of dogs from her and they've all been sick but she always claims that they aren't her dogs, they belong to a friend of hers. That's also where Goldie came from. I'm so glad that Remy came from one of the best breeders and even though he was also diagnosed with pulmonic stenosis it wasn't through any wrong doing of his breeder. In fact, the next puppy I adopt I am planning on adopting from the same breeder. I just @desertskybulldogs
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    I'm a relatively new Bulldog owner. My three Bullies came to me through . I made no effort to get a special color or particularly small pup. Mine are just regular Bulldogs insofar as I can tell. I bought Lily and Abby, litter mate sisters, at the same time. As you might know from my previous posts, Abby died suddenly at 10 months from an apparent (but not proven) genetic abnormality. Probably an aneurism. The breeder immediately, and without any coaxing, offered us full credit toward another puppy. That's when we got Daisy. Now it looks like Daisy came to us with Blasto. We are waiting for clinical conformation, but she's already taking the drug for it. We don't have Blasto contaminated soil here in Nevada, but they do in Ohio where the breeder is. In defense of the breeder, from what I've read, there's no way an Ohio resident can test the soil, or identify potential Blasto infected areas. It's just an unfortunate and unavoidable risk in that part of the country. My Bullies have all been of normal size. At 19 months, Lily weighs in at a healthy 65 pounds. Abby was slightly bigger and heavier than Lily when she died. Daisy looks as if she will mature to be at least as big as Lily. I'm waiting for clinical conformation before bringing Daisy's problem to the breeder's attention. FYI, I paid ordinary prices for my pups, nothing exorbitant. I'll let you know how it all develops.
    What in the world is BLASTO? Moreover, why would someone breed dogs if there was a danger of whatever it is affecting the unborn pups? My heart breaks for you for what happened with Abby....and if there's something up with this new pup, I'd have to say "Three strikes and you're out" to that breeder.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by doblackburn View Post
    UGHHHH!! Blue (or black) Bulldogs DO NOT come from reputable, ethical breeders. Period.

Sure, the color is rare, but that doesn't mean they're more valuable. It's like people charging crazy prices for "designer dogs" ~ like Labradoodles or Cockapoos or whatever they call them now ~ simply because of their name. They're still mutts. Save yourself the dough and go save a life at a shelter!

I would encourage anyone who is looking for a Bulldog to first get involved with their closest Bulldog club. Make friends with people IN the breed to learn more about THE breed. There are a ton of nut jobs out there just trying to make a buck off their dogs, which is downright disgusting.
    While I agree with what you are trying to get to come across with this statement, no one should use a blanket statement that blue or blacks "DO NOT come from reputable, ethical breeders." For the reason that there may be someone on here who has say, a black bulldog and he or she may feel bad for having a black bully when we don't know how they got it or the breeder. I just think that statements like this have the potential to really hurt someone's feelings and make that person feel insecure about their bully. There are lots of unneutered/spayed on here or live in very hot climates and no one would like to be told they are not responsible pet owners because I'm sure they are not.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

a "Blue"carrier refers to a dog that caries the dilution gene which can dilute the color black and make a "blue" which is a gray color really. Or it can also dilute any other colors. Hence, the name dilution gene.

I agree with you guys, as far as not agreeing with he practice of selling "rare color" dog for more money just so the breeder can make a buck. But some people do like the look of these colors, and these colors have been around in the bulldog breed so a lot longer than some of you may think. I really don't think you should judge a dog by it's coat! I am a firm believer of this. I own a bulldog, that carries the blue and chocolate genes, I did not pay any extra for him and so far no major health problems, in fact, he seems more health that our other standard colored bulldog.

I don't really see the problem of people breeding for a color, as long as they are also breeding for healthy dogs. Haven't people been breeding dogs, changing the ways they look for thousands of years?
    @babybully said it well. @Scueva, @Alice Kable @doblackburn
    Last edited by mendomama; 01-28-2013 at 08:44 PM.
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2 View Post
    Gracie is a blue and lemon yellow brindle. We didn't pay anymore for her than the standard price of other bulldogs in our area and the breeder didn't seem to think she was anything special (color wise). She does have blue eyes. She seems to be healthy so far. Her skin is clear and her coat is soft. I hadn't heard of "designer" bulldogs until after I brought her home. I also found out she's an olde..so that might help with some of the health issues. I'll keep you posted as she grows.

I just think she's the neatest little thing. We all love our bully's no matter what shape, size or color they come in. Unless you are the judge in the show ring, it's just an opinion. You know what they say about opinions ................and everybody's got one.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

12. Likes Hceril liked this post
    mabel lou

I know someone who has puppies that are blue gene carriers, the dam is black and she had them tested and not all of them have it but she charges an arm an a leg for hers. They are just normal bullies and they are no different then any bully puppy I have ever seen. She had her last two that didn't sell for almost 9mths. She did end up selling them eventually but omg I just couldn't believe it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads