Crating, potty training, and bed time.

Jennifer Slack

Oct 8, 2014
Northern VA/MD/DC Metro area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cora & Regan
Hey all, so I know this is probably just basic stuff, but I love to hear first hand stories from others who have been and/or are going through some of the same thing with your bullies.
My first question is: Do you crate you bully at bedtime? If not, how old are they and at what age did you stop crating. Right new we crate them during bed time since they're only 4 months old, but its breaks my heart and I cannot wait until we can trust them to have the run of the house at night while we sleep.
My second question is: At what age did your bullie become reliably housetrained? Also, how long did it take you to potty train? We're doing really well and because of a super strict schedule I can count on one hand the total number of accidents that we've had since bringing the pups home. I'm just wondering when I can stop worrying and have a little trust/faith that they really get the concept.
Sorry for the crazy questions, we're just new to this and want to do the best possible for our girls!!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
We never crate trained lilly , i did Crate trained Shy - but what i done -is make their night time sleep in the kitchen that was puppy proofed , )day time they sleep in they living room ) once fully pitty trained lilly had a full run on the house , we put ruls and training into action as soon as we brought them home -we had no chewing accidents -but this doesnt mean you can fully trust them -few months ago (lilly is 1,5 yo , shy 2,5) they chewed my remote & my camera lens ;-)
Potty training a bulldog for us seem to take forever -while Shy (deaf american bulldog cross) was fully house trained at 10 weeks , lilly was at 4,5 months and at times she still does accidents -thankfully she goes by the back door

I never stop worrying what damage they might do when i open the door , or if they chew and swallow something -we all worry constantly xx

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Currently, we crate Bentley (10 days shy of a year old) and Jewel (18 mos) at night due to Jewel having surgery. Prior to the surgery, J and B would sleep with us in bed and could have the run of the house if they wanted to but did not. I am with you about the crating. However, they are crated when we are work as we did try to see if they were ready for "prime time." We came home to over-turned chairs and beds ripped apart or similar to shamblings at a Toga party at Delta House in the movie "Animal House." It's funny but we learned they are not ready for "prime time." [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] recently had a similar issue with Tate and Finn and has special tape for upolstery remodeling. When Jewel is cleared by the ortho vet, they will be out of their crates at night. When they are older, we will again try for prime time.

We too have a potty schedule too. They go out first thing in the morning. They eat and drink and then I take them out 20-30 minutes after they eat (same in the evening) . Since J and B are older, they can hold on until my wife gets home from work (about 8.5 hours). Since Cora is 4 months, figure she can hold on for about 4 hours (or an hour per month old). Jewel was doing well at 6 months for us. We got Bentley when he was 8 months old and was pretty much ok but he was not properly trained before we got him. He still has in-frequent accidents in his crate but we are working on this issue with him.

This is a little bit of what we do for J and B and hope this helps.

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
My first question is: Do you crate you bully at bedtime? If not, how old are they and at what age did you stop crating. Right new we crate them during bed time since they're only 4 months old, but its breaks my heart and I cannot wait until we can trust them to have the run of the house at night while we sleep.
My second question is: At what age did your bullie become reliably housetrained? Also, how long did it take you to potty train? We're doing really well and because of a super strict schedule I can count on one hand the total number of accidents that we've had since bringing the pups home. I'm just wondering when I can stop worrying and have a little trust/faith that they really get the concept.
Sorry for the crazy questions, we're just new to this and want to do the best possible for our girls!!

Ruby is going on 10 months. We crated her at night until 3 weeks ago. She basically told us she was ready. She does not have accidents, but I don't think that is because she is fully potty trained....I think it is because we too have a very strict schedule. She told us she was ready by hunkering down at bedtime(on her doggy bed) and refusing to get up and go in her crate, which is 8 feet away. We were nervous, but so far it has been awesome. We sometimes hear her up stomping around in the night....when we check, she is just getting a drink or chewing on her bone. If we hear her for too long, one of us gets up and lets her outside.

I do not trust her yet. I am very nervous, more about losing furniture than having rugs soiled.

We still crate her if we leave the house.....even if it is just for an hour.

BTW - your pups look awesome. Congrats!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Harlea is just shy of a 1.5 years old and she still sleeps in her crate at night because she likes to find and eat things we didn't know were out during the night. Being that I work from home she has free roam of the house during the day but usually just lounges in my office with me.

As for potty training we got lucky and she was pretty much trained by about 15 weeks. We kept to a strict schedule at first but when she would just plop back down and sleep during the late night outings we stopped them and only had one or two accidents after that.

When we got out for short periods we let her roam the lifing room and kitchen and haven't had any issues so far, but when we go out for longer than

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think our guys were around 2 yrs old when we gave them freedom to raom when we were not at home, but it only last about 2 yrs as we moved and the house is bigger so they are now kept in the master bedroom when we are not at home, this way we know they can not get into anything. Their crates are in the room... Banks crate the door is open and she comes /goes as pleases, but Cheli is alwasy in his crate with door closed when we are not at home... still at age of 3 not to be trusted.

Sleeping... I think they were a year old when we let them start sleeping with us.

Members online

No members online now.