Exercise ? Maybe a dumb question don't know

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hello. For the past 6 months I have been taking my 2 1/2 year old male ebd to a local dog park. He can run there. play with other dogs ect. The same group of us are there each morning waiting on the maintenece worker to open the gate for us ( still dark about 6 20 am ) I along with another gentleman only spend about 30 mins there. By that time Buddy is tired and winded so I load him up and head home. It is the highlight of his day. He Loves going and plays with the same 3 or 4 dogs each morning. I originally started doing this because of the heat down here in S FL and was putting one of those Kool collars. filled with ice to keep his temp down It is always too hot here after say 10am so I figured go early. Also I live in a condo where all the dogs are supposed to be leashed. At home here he can't run free so I take him to the park. My question is Buddy runs a lot there dives into the grass at times. Jumps on many dogs there ( he is very dominant ) but in good, fun mannered way and a sweet dog. Every time I come to this website I read stories regarding people whose bulldogs have hip problems or tendon problems ect. Sometimes it is heartbreaking to even read but I am wondering if me taking him to the park is good for him or not. I would think he is young this would be healthy for him and prepare him for when he is a bit older and calmer he would have developed well and it couldn't hurt. If I knew this was at all bad or had the potential to be bad I would limit it to a few days a week. Anyone know if taking him. letting him run around. jump around ( he is always on his hind legs on another dog trying to take him down. Playing) could be hazardous or anything like that? Thanks

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as with anything, there is always a risk, but your boy is getting the right type of exersie and the right amount. I would continue to go and always limit as you have been. What gets the issues can be anything... going up stairs, jumping on/off furniture... let him be a dog and have the fun you been giving him. Just continue as you do with the monitoring and time limits... you can't keep him in a 'bubble', but you can place it safe.

Also, if not doing so, give a joint supplement to help keep them healthy and strong

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with @2BullyMama totally, let him run and have fun. His muscles and ligaments are getting stonger and protecting his joints. If you stop they will get weaker and there is more of a chance of injury then. It is also good have just regular boring walks on a leash to strenghen the muscles and joints.

We just had a boring one hour walk on the fields and after the boys rough housed together for awhile, no they're snoring away happy and tired.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx you guys. Yes the first few times. not every time but he would limp a bit. Not as we were leaving the park but after he had got home. slept then woke up I would notice a slight limp which scared me. I then started only going every 2 or 3 days. I mentioned it to a man there that has a great parisian ( something like that a big white dog Buddy plays with a lot) and the man told me to buy glucosamine so I did. I give him one every day ( Pro-sense) Walmart brand of chewables. He once got kennel cough there as well but so did most of our dogs because a man had brought his dog there and the dog had a deep deep cough and sure enough that night Buddy started doing the same. I mentioned it to my neighbor and she said " That's why I don't go to dog parks" but to be honest Buddy absolutely LOVES going to the park. He follows me around every morning until I get him ready. The expression on his face in the passenger side seat as we drive there. It is priceless. He is in dog heaven ! Thx everyone

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=12957]Bulldoginsfl[/MENTION] I see you are mindful of the heat. I hope you carry some water with you or that there is a water source at the park. I do envy you and Buddy. My Jewel is on injured reserve for a while and hopefully she will get to run and carry on again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thx you guys. Yes the first few times. not every time but he would limp a bit. Not as we were leaving the park but after he had got home. slept then woke up I would notice a slight limp which scared me. I then started only going every 2 or 3 days. I mentioned it to a man there that has a great parisian ( something like that a big white dog Buddy plays with a lot) and the man told me to buy glucosamine so I did. I give him one every day ( Pro-sense) Walmart brand of chewables. He once got kennel cough there as well but so did most of our dogs because a man had brought his dog there and the dog had a deep deep cough and sure enough that night Buddy started doing the same. I mentioned it to my neighbor and she said " That's why I don't go to dog parks" but to be honest Buddy absolutely LOVES going to the park. He follows me around every morning until I get him ready. The expression on his face in the passenger side seat as we drive there. It is priceless. He is in dog heaven ! Thx everyone

Great Pyrenees.... beautiful dogs, but WAY too big and furry for me Google Image Result for http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images10/Great_Py_Majesta_Great_Pyrenees.jpg

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I think the exercise and platime with friends is great! We take Stella to the dog park frequently and she loves it! We let her run around like crazy, and she lets us know when she's worn out.

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
I think it's great you have a park to bring Buddy! We also live in a condo, 3rd floor, with no local dog parks. The closest thing we have is my in-laws (they have 2 golden retrievers.) After spending a few hours with Chubbs' uncles, he passes out for the night.

OP
B

Bulldoginsfl

Oct 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thx everyone. Yes rjisaterp, I am actually the one who usually fills the bowls there at the park because I am a bit younger than some of the guys that first show up there and I am the new guy as well. Some of these people have been going there for like 10 years or more. Very clicky. They bring coffee and bagels and alternate days on whose turn it is. I guess its a social thing for some of them and they seem like nice people as well, Rijsatep. Buddy always has water. the only time he does NOT drink Disani bottled water is at the park I read quite a bit up on ebd's before purchasing Buddy. I wasn't even going to get one due to the health issues but I called a vet who said " Get health insurance" Best advice anyone could have given me. Its not cheap but pays for itself. When he gets older thou and my rate goes up I will probably be clue less. Thx again

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.