Butch

Mar 16, 2014
North East
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
It's Bellas first heat & she doesn't seem her self is this natural

She's heavily bleeding & panting, when I go near her she some times growls at me

Am worried

I would like to know how long she could be in heat for & if there's any thing we can put something on her to stop the blood getting every where

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members that might be able to give some advice.... good luck!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello [MENTION=11409]Butch[/MENTION] How long has Bella been in heat? They are usually in heat for about three weeks. But if there are any males nearby-do not let her around them until after four weeks! All of my girls have been spayed-but I had a doberman that would have very heavy bleeding when she was in heat. I put a maxi pad in a pair of woman's panties,
and put elastic suspenders to hold the panties on.Of course you have to remove them for her to go potty. If you have to walk her in public-be very careful of other dogs getting to her! Nowadays they have special panties for dogs,that you can use. She may be a little cranky, as she could have cramps, as woman get-also hormone issues! They will also get quite swollen at the vulva, and most fertile around the 7,9, and 11 day-but most any time during their heat cycle.
I would suggest that if you are not planning on breeding-wait about a month AFTER her cycle ends, ask your vet about having her spayed.

OP
Butch

Butch

Mar 16, 2014
North East
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] She's been in heat for 3 days now, it's only been today she's been acting unusual towards

We've been looking into getting her spayed as we are not looking to bread her

Douse getting her spayed come with any complications to her in the future, will she be still health after getting spayed

OP
Butch

Butch

Mar 16, 2014
North East
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] thanks

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=11409]Butch[/MENTION], they can be very uncomfortable when in heat and sometimes it is painful too. It usually takes 4 weeks to totally be over, but only a couple weeks of being uncomfortable. Spaying is always a good idea when you are not breeding. Not spaying them, you always have the chance of them getting Pyometra, and loosing your baby, if not caught in time. Once they are spayed, they will live a happy healthy life.

ThatsBull

Sep 10, 2014
Saskatchewan
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tia
Tia too has just gone into heat. She was an SPCA adoption, and they THOUGHT she was spayed, but apparently she wasn't. I have already booked an appointment to get her spayed for as soon as is safe after she is done her heat.

Spaying is super good for your dog if you don't plan on breeding her!

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I believe in Spaying and Neutering, this keeps them Healthy, and the females do not have pain associated with heat cycle.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online