Bedtime Issues

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
About a week ago our oldest EB, Utley, who is 2 1/2 years, started acting goofy like it was play time. He calmed down until the morning. He didn't want to eat and it turned out he had a huge hive on his back leg, it was almost the size of a golf ball. I took him to the vet right away. It turned out he was bit or stung by something. At this point he had hives all over, even one on the corner of his eye[emoji15][emoji21]. They gave him a steroid shot and kept him for the day. He came home that night[emoji16]. Since then at bed time he cries, a bulldog cry, not a cry cry. He won't go to sleep. He normally sleeps in bed with us. The little one is still in the crate. He just does the bulldog cry constant. We try ignoring him but that doesn't work. Giving him water, taking him outside to go potty, belly rubs. He only seems to calm down after we try everything. The past two nights the last attempt was to put the fan on. It is not hot at all. He is still on steroids. Not sure if the medicine is making him act different. But it is only at bedtime that he is acting different. Has anyone experienced anything like this before or have any ideas what it could be causing him to act like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
My experience with my puppy has been that when he is uncomfortable - he will cry. It could be from being too hot, or being itchy or just not feeling like himself. Try maybe rubbing him behind his ears - that usually works to get them into a calm state. Also, sometimes medications just make them feel super weird and vulnerable and they cry or this particular medication isn't agreeing with him. Do you know what kind of steroid they gave him? Prednisone? Look into the side effects of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If it is prednisone... It will cause nervous energy. I refuse to use the. Unless it is the only option ... My vet agrees with me and we have not used it in many years. It will pass on e the pred is out of his system

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
The steroid is Temaril P Tablets. I looked up the side effects and didn't find anything that would be causing him to act this way. Last night as soon as he cried we put the fan on and he was fine for the rest of the night. I'm thinking maybe the medicine is making him hot. Here is a picture of him[emoji4].
b9cc1b25213bc73bd42db3fb539a17d1.jpg

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Wondering if he was bitten during the night that he might be worried that it is going to happen again - just a thought - hope he settles back into his regular routine and you all can get a decent sleep

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
I wad wondering that too[emoji53]

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
The steroid is Temaril P Tablets. I looked up the side effects and didn't find anything that would be causing him to act this way. Last night as soon as he cried we put the fan on and he was fine for the rest of the night. I'm thinking maybe the medicine is making him hot. Here is a picture of him[emoji4].
b9cc1b25213bc73bd42db3fb539a17d1.jpg

So cute!! I know the TP causes excessive thirst and therefore urination. Bob my bobby would cry when he was too hot and he wouldn't stop until he cooled down. I bought him one of those freezer pad thingies and he would fall asleep asap!

OP
Utley

Utley

Jul 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Utley and Bella
I think we will have to try that. It is warm today so wondering if just the fan will work. Might have to out the AC on tonight.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Kevin is a finicky sleeper.. The hardest part for me was to figure out where he wanted to sleep (someplace breezy and cool), not where i wanted him to sleep (his crate). He likes to rotate from cold tile, to a fuzzy rug, to a padded bed.

We recently got him a Coolaroo bed and he loves it... no more Mr fussy at night. He's got a blanket to snuggle up into yet he's off the floor so he doesn't get hot.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online