Thread: French vs. English

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Default French vs. English

Hello everyone!
    I am new to the forum and I am so glad I have found y'all.
    Our family is planning on adding a puppy to it. We have literally researched for years and have finally narrowed it down...
    French or English bulldog???
    I realize I am an English board so you may be a bit biased...but I also have noticed several of you have both. I thought maybe you could give me your opinions, pros/cons of each breed.
    We are a family with three children. (ages 7, 4 and 2) So good with kids is a must...which everything I read says both breeds are fabulous with children.
    Anyway, any info or insight would be much appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: French vs. English

Both. Everyone should have two!! No seriously, I have two english bullies. I don't have experience with a frenchie but would love to add one. The only thing I am going to add is that bullies are very good with children but please keep in mind that baby bullies bite. They have sharp shark teeth and it is a hard stage they go through. They also like to jump. Bulldogs need a strong owner and consistent training to get through both of these stages. Many many bulldogs are brought home and as soon as the kids get nipped or knocked over out they go. The lucky ones end up in rescue, the not so lucky ones to places like craigs list and shelters. I just want you to be aware of this before you decide on this breed so you can make informed decisions. Good luck with your decision.
    My smooshy face boy!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for the info and sharing your thoughts.
    Great thing to keep in mind.
    My husband and I keep saying the same thing..."Let's just get one of each...." HA! Of course, we are kidding. Three kids and a dog will be plenty.
    Thanks again!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@2BullyMama @Davidh @schimpfy @dolphin @Alice Kable are a few members who I think can help you with your question

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I have lived with both and have to say that there's no comparison with an English anywhere in any breed. The French are wonderful dogs and hyper as all get out but the personality of an English is beyond explaining, they are so human it's unexplainable. IMHO the English Bulldog is all about

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I also answered over on FBN..... but wanted to add, I really can not think of any reason not to have one or the other. i LOVE both breeds for different reasons. English are more human than any other breed I have had experience with and the French is just a total clown with personality plus
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well I agree with everyone else, both are awesome family members. Both have their own personalities. The Frenchie is more of a clown and the English more of a lover, but can also be a clown also. Frenchies can be pretty hyper if you don't go with a good bloodline, and even then some are pretty crazy. We have 4 Frnchies and two 4 month old pups, and 3 English. They all get along great and all love to sit in your lap. My only concern is the 2 year old. I have seen too many times when the pups wants to play and they bite everything, once the young child gets nipped, by playing or knocked down, then out they go. Please keep that in mind, because sometimes an older dog may be a better choice.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Hi this is where it gets weird i have a half French half English Bulldog, was not sure on which one to get The English was my first choice and French a very close second
    English more human Iike and comes with a Iot of responsibility such as daily cleaning of folds, tail pockets etc
    French generaIIy healthier, smaIIer, more energy through out their Life
    Both have breathing problems and could get cherry eye
    Found a cross between the two and Lucked out he has a great nasal passage and good joints but a handful
    With a 2 yr oId wouId Iook at an OIder dog that has Iearned not to bite, potty trained etc, you aIso get to see how they turned out
    There are so many pure EngIish and French BuIIdogs for adoption
    Here is a pic of Chance-040-jpg 7 months OId

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by schimpfy View Post
    Hi this is where it gets weird i have a half French half English Bulldog, was not sure on which one to get The English was my first choice and French a very close second
    English more human Iike and comes with a Iot of responsibility such as daily cleaning of folds, tail pockets etc
    French generaIIy healthier, smaIIer, more energy through out their Life
    Both have breathing problems and could get cherry eye
    Found a cross between the two and Lucked out he has a great nasal passage and good joints but a handful
    With a 2 yr oId wouId Iook at an OIder dog that has Iearned not to bite, potty trained etc, you aIso get to see how they turned out
    There are so many pure EngIish and French BuIIdogs for adoption
    Here is a pic of Chance-040-jpg 7 months OId
    The best of both worlds!!!! ♡♡♡

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 78528Attachment 78529Attachment 78530

We have had French, Olde English and now two English. I have some Great Advice for you. Before you decide remember this. Any "Bulldog" is the same as adopting another child. You get what you make. We had one child. The Olde English loved her so much BUT Hated other kids. Why we don't know. The Frenchie was a wild child. Smartest dog ever but they all require more work. Nose rope clean, wiping the butt, cleaning the ears, to the vet, to the vet, to the vet. I'm not trying to scare you. Our daughter has moved off. When we are home which is often we spend 90% of our time with the boys. We don't have soccer, basketball dancing anymore. We have three different friends that bought English Bulldogs. All three have sold them. DavidH has given you some good advice on an older dog. If you get a puppy or two like we did you need to be prepared because it's not fair to the pup to be bounced around to different homes. Hope this helps. PS we love our boys.

Kennel Cleaner
    Country
    Uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beau
    Likes (Received)

hello, I have never had a French but a month ago I bought a 4 month old english bulldog, I have a 2 year old son, she does get a bit mouthy ( she has never nipped ) bit a firm no corrects this, ( maybe because she is an older pup) maybe that is something u could consider, it's actually quite amazing that she she seems to know her limitations with smaller people, she is 5 months old now, she is very laid back and only occasionally will play with toys, she has been the best addition breed for our family ( I have to boys, one that I mentioned and an 8 yr old) x

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

Wow! Thank you so much for all the great advice everyone. I really appreciate it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads