tampaflygirl

Oct 9, 2014
Greenville, SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum and I am so glad I have found y'all.
smile.gif

Our family is planning on adding a puppy to it. We have literally researched for years and have finally narrowed it down...
French or English bulldog???
I realize I am an English board so you may be a bit biased...but I also have noticed several of you have both. I thought maybe you could give me your opinions, pros/cons of each breed.
We are a family with three children. (ages 7, 4 and 2) So good with kids is a must...which everything I read says both breeds are fabulous with children.
Anyway, any info or insight would be much appreciated. THANK YOU!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Both. Everyone should have two!! No seriously, I have two english bullies. I don't have experience with a frenchie but would love to add one. The only thing I am going to add is that bullies are very good with children but please keep in mind that baby bullies bite. They have sharp shark teeth and it is a hard stage they go through. They also like to jump. Bulldogs need a strong owner and consistent training to get through both of these stages. Many many bulldogs are brought home and as soon as the kids get nipped or knocked over out they go. The lucky ones end up in rescue, the not so lucky ones to places like craigs list and shelters. I just want you to be aware of this before you decide on this breed so you can make informed decisions. Good luck with your decision.

OP
T

tampaflygirl

Oct 9, 2014
Greenville, SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you so much for the info and sharing your thoughts.
Great thing to keep in mind.
My husband and I keep saying the same thing..."Let's just get one of each...." HA! Of course, we are kidding. Three kids and a dog will be plenty. :)
Thanks again!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=11086]schimpfy[/MENTION] [MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] are a few members who I think can help you with your question :yes:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have lived with both and have to say that there's no comparison with an English anywhere in any breed. The French are wonderful dogs and hyper as all get out but the personality of an English is beyond explaining, they are so human it's unexplainable. IMHO the English Bulldog is all about :heart::heartsign:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I also answered over on FBN..... but wanted to add, I really can not think of any reason not to have one or the other. i LOVE both breeds for different reasons. English are more human than any other breed I have had experience with and the French is just a total clown with personality plus

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I agree with everyone else, both are awesome family members. Both have their own personalities. The Frenchie is more of a clown and the English more of a lover, but can also be a clown also. Frenchies can be pretty hyper if you don't go with a good bloodline, and even then some are pretty crazy. We have 4 Frnchies and two 4 month old pups, and 3 English. They all get along great and all love to sit in your lap. My only concern is the 2 year old. I have seen too many times when the pups wants to play and they bite everything, once the young child gets nipped, by playing or knocked down, then out they go. Please keep that in mind, because sometimes an older dog may be a better choice.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Hi this is where it gets weird i have a half French half English Bulldog, was not sure on which one to get The English was my first choice and French a very close second
English more human Iike and comes with a Iot of responsibility such as daily cleaning of folds, tail pockets etc
French generaIIy healthier, smaIIer, more energy through out their Life
Both have breathing problems and could get cherry eye
Found a cross between the two and Lucked out he has a great nasal passage and good joints but a handful
With a 2 yr oId wouId Iook at an OIder dog that has Iearned not to bite, potty trained etc, you aIso get to see how they turned out
There are so many pure EngIish and French BuIIdogs for adoption
Here is a pic of Chance040.jpg 7 months OId

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi this is where it gets weird i have a half French half English Bulldog, was not sure on which one to get The English was my first choice and French a very close second
English more human Iike and comes with a Iot of responsibility such as daily cleaning of folds, tail pockets etc
French generaIIy healthier, smaIIer, more energy through out their Life
Both have breathing problems and could get cherry eye
Found a cross between the two and Lucked out he has a great nasal passage and good joints but a handful
With a 2 yr oId wouId Iook at an OIder dog that has Iearned not to bite, potty trained etc, you aIso get to see how they turned out
There are so many pure EngIish and French BuIIdogs for adoption
Here is a pic of ChanceView attachment 78527 7 months OId

The best of both worlds!!!! ā™”ā™”ā™”

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
View attachment 78528View attachment 78529View attachment 78530

We have had French, Olde English and now two English. I have some Great Advice for you. Before you decide remember this. Any "Bulldog" is the same as adopting another child. You get what you make. We had one child. The Olde English loved her so much BUT Hated other kids. Why we don't know. The Frenchie was a wild child. Smartest dog ever but they all require more work. Nose rope clean, wiping the butt, cleaning the ears, to the vet, to the vet, to the vet. I'm not trying to scare you. Our daughter has moved off. When we are home which is often we spend 90% of our time with the boys. We don't have soccer, basketball dancing anymore. We have three different friends that bought English Bulldogs. All three have sold them. DavidH has given you some good advice on an older dog. If you get a puppy or two like we did you need to be prepared because it's not fair to the pup to be bounced around to different homes. Hope this helps. PS we love our boys.

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
hello, I have never had a French but a month ago I bought a 4 month old english bulldog, I have a 2 year old son, she does get a bit mouthy ( she has never nipped ) bit a firm no corrects this, ( maybe because she is an older pup) maybe that is something u could consider, it's actually quite amazing that she she seems to know her limitations with smaller people, she is 5 months old now, she is very laid back and only occasionally will play with toys, she has been the best addition breed for our family ( I have to boys, one that I mentioned and an 8 yr old) x

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
I have an Olde English male and I have a Frenglish female as some people call them .Which is both. I wouldn't trade either of them for anything.I have found that my female has less issues health wise and more energy than her housemate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.