Neutering Jake

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Been contemplating if neutering Jake now or later. My husband wanted me to make that decision and so I finally called the vet to know about the details.

I guess Jake can feel my apprehension, he actually stayed with me like this to kinda rest assure me [emoji22] that is it fine. He is going for his hernia as well.

87e4f69ca957f1a1685c9e46bb11ba56.jpg

His face is in between my legs. He just love to squeeze his fat face in [emoji173] [emoji173] [emoji173]

Jake is so sweet and I couldn't ask for a perfect puppy. But to be honest, I'm still not 100% sure I'm going to do it. I'm on the fence not because I won't have him altered but because it might be too soon?

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
Before you do Anything PM Diemuttivonbifi and talk to her. And Riisi. Ralphie

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I can understand your concern… I don't plan on neutering Wally unless we absolutely have to. I don't think it's necessary these days especially if you are a responsible pet owner, but everyone on here has a different opinion on the subject. I would advise that if you are planning to do the hernia surgery anyway one surgery is better than two. Bullies can have issues w/anesthesia…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is a tough decioson for many as there are always risk with surgery. If you want it done and he is going to be under for the hernia, then do it at the same time to avoid a second procedure, but if you know that you do not want to do it, then leave it be and deal with it only if you have to later in his life.

OP
JakeP

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So I went ahead and decided to get him neutered today. Just dropped him off at the vet and hope everything will turn out fine.

Prayers are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thinking of you, Jake! All will be well.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sending hugs and prayers... Keep us posted!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Sending love hugs and prayers that Jakes surgery goes well, and he has a quick and easy recovery. I know you'll worry, but he will be fine, and back to himself before you know it.

OP
JakeP

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you for the prayers. He is doing fine. The vet said he is very very sweet. So don't know what happened for her to say that.

He is very calm and wouldn't leave my side. Been working overtime at work for the past days and so I fell asleep on the couch right after I picked him up. I didn't know he was just sitting by my side as I was gone fast. Then I woke up by the smell of pee. I felt really really bad!!! I'm such a bad Mom leaving him right after surgery. He was just there beside me, waiting. I'm so horrible!

He is wearing his cone right now and would continue to do so for the next 7 days. I hate watching him bump into cabinets or not being able to drink water with it. Had to give him a little food with my hands as he can't eat with it.

I feel so bad for letting him go through this. Tomorrow I would see if there is anything I can get that's softer than this plastic cone.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the prayers. He is doing fine. The vet said he is very very sweet. So don't know what happened for her to say that.

He is very calm and wouldn't leave my side. Been working overtime at work for the past days and so I fell asleep on the couch right after I picked him up. I didn't know he was just sitting by my side as I was gone fast. Then I woke up by the smell of pee. I felt really really bad!!! I'm such a bad Mom leaving him right after surgery. He was just there beside me, waiting. I'm so horrible!

He is wearing his cone right now and would continue to do so for the next 7 days. I hate watching him bump into cabinets or not being able to drink water with it. Had to give him a little food with my hands as he can't eat with it.

I feel so bad for letting him go through this. Tomorrow I would see if there is anything I can get that's softer than this plastic cone.

There are soft cone... Sort of look like a donut that go around the neck,but if you are home with home try leaving the cone off and watch him. Most bulldogs can not reach the pee-pee area to lick the incision so the cone isn't always necessary. All three of mine never used a cone

OP
JakeP

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. I went ahead and got the donut. At first he was afraid of it until I finally caught him to install it around his neck. Funny thing was he wasn't moving at all. Like he was scared to move coz he might die or something lol

269ff36dd3165432dc76eb0131bf8991.jpg

3e5367c524a9bc2db452d9987ad1bc2c.jpg

He is slowly getting around the house and almost back to his old self. Appetite is definitely back to normal and I'm back to his training routine this afternoon. This morning, he was still too sleepy to do anything else.

The incision is not bad and not that big. He is not allowed to jump or be too active. Have to keep him calm. So far he is doing really great for his 2nd day.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks @2BullyMama. I went ahead and got the donut. At first he was afraid of it until I finally caught him to install it around his neck. Funny thing was he wasn't moving at all. Like he was scared to move coz he might die or something lol

269ff36dd3165432dc76eb0131bf8991.jpg

3e5367c524a9bc2db452d9987ad1bc2c.jpg

He is slowly getting around the house and almost back to his old self. Appetite is definitely back to normal and I'm back to his training routine this afternoon. This morning, he was still too sleepy to do anything else.

The incision is not bad and not that big. He is not allowed to jump or be too active. Have to keep him calm. So far he is doing really great for his 2nd day.

He is so dang adorable!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online