Tear Stains

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to remove tear stains from Lola's eye? I've read something about Hydrogen Peroxide...is that right? Won't that hurt her eyes? How does it work? I'd appreciate any help as the internet is so confusing!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
To use peroxide you use equal parts peroxide and white milk of magnesia and then thicken to a paste with corn starch. This will be applied to tear stained area and won't run into her eyes because it's too thick. After this dries you brush it off. I tried this a couple times and didn't notice much difference. I'm currently using a powdered supplement you add to their food once a day. It's like "Angel Eyes". This also takes a long time to work. My daughter used it for 6 weeks on her dog before the stains were gone. I'm also using Tums. Another member told me she got rid of tear stains by giving her Bully 1/2 a Tums in the am and 1/2 in the pm. I think any method takes a while. So just be patient and keep treating the stains and they'll eventually go away.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION], thank you for the info. I like the 1/2 a Tum idea...should I do that every night once a day and would I use that alone or along with the supplement in the food?

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Cornstarch works for us but Bear is also on a high quality food so it could be the combination.

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
@Gertie's mom- I didn't think about 1/2 a tums being too much for her. I think I'll ask her vet. :) [MENTION=676]mammyglicks[/MENTION] are you applying the cornstarch directly on the stain then brushing off? cornstarch alone or with peroxide?

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
[MENTION=1700]LolaLove[/MENTION] I take cornstarch and brush it on his face, i do not wipe off. I do not make a paste with hydrogen peroxide. I've heard tums has worked well, i haven't needed to try that yet because the combination of cornstarch and his food is working at the moment.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie used to have tear stains, but since switching to a better food (Fromm) and only giving her fruits and veggies as treats, the tear stains have disappeared!! :up:

OP
LolaLove

LolaLove

Jan 11, 2011
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
[MENTION=676]mammyglicks[/MENTION], intresting! Thank you for the tip. I am going to start the food switch soon and am a little nervous but I just learned that Iams is not good for my baby so it's got to be done. :) [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]~ I am going to start the switch over to Fromm (as I've learned is amazing dog food) and I just recently started giving Lola frozen fruit and veggi treats and she LOVES it! I am pretty sure that is what has helped with all aspects of training, so am so excited that will poss help with the tear stains as well! YAY! Thanks for the tips!

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Maybe we should give Daisy Tums... She has the most incredible belches sometimes, and occassionally her gas is outrageous!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am writing an article on this right now. Will be published soon!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I need a picture of a bully with REAL bad tear stains. It must be a good picture that really shows tear stains and in focus for my article. Any volunteers?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.