Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seasonal Flank Alopecia??? or Some sort of Mange

I should have thought of that myself-as my Malanois had to take thyroid meds.-sorry I have dogmentia at my age!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

great post! I will have to read up on thyroid conditions

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

The vet rang today and confirmed Bazza has an inactive Thyroid which I think bascially means that the thyroid is not making enough hormone, causing weight gain, hair loss and they can be lethargic / depressed. He is prescribed tablets the vets says he will be on for the rest of his life !!!!!! Bugger Bugger I hate the thought of that. I will have to do some research, hope we did not contribute in anyway to this. The vet reckons we will see a different dog within months, that will be interesting to see !

@Manydogs I am with you I would forget my head if it wasn't attached to me LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to read into it alot more however.

@agentbunny I will be doing some reading on it now, to find out more, I had no idea.
    I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    The vet rang today and confirmed Bazza has an inactive Thyroid which I think bascially means that the thyroid is not making enough hormone, causing weight gain, hair loss and they can be lethargic / depressed. He is prescribed tablets the vets says he will be on for the rest of his life !!!!!! Bugger Bugger I hate the thought of that. I will have to do some research, hope we did not contribute in anyway to this. The vet reckons we will see a different dog within months, that will be interesting to see !

@Manydogs I am with you I would forget my head if it wasn't attached to me LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to read into it alot more however.

@agentbunny I will be doing some reading on it now, to find out more, I had no idea.
    WOW I'm just now seeing this… I'm glad that you figured out what was going on w/Bazza. I have inactive thyroid as well, and I will take thyroid meds for life. Once they get the levels corrected he should be feeling much better. I had no idea that it could affect dogs as well.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    WOW I'm just now seeing this… I'm glad that you figured out what was going on w/Bazza. I have inactive thyroid as well, and I will take thyroid meds for life. Once they get the levels corrected he should be feeling much better. I had no idea that it could affect dogs as well.
    @ddnene, I am really shocked, I was away on Holidays for 2 weeks and could see he was going bald !! I Freaked, now he has to be on meds for the rest of his life. I do wonder how long it was going on for, the vet said he would have gone Bald if we had left it. I am interested to see if he changes, the vet keeps saying he will be like a "new" dog but I like my Bazza the way he is LOL I Bet Walter is still keeping you on your toes !!!! Hope he has stopped gardening ! LOL ( I missed alot of posts as I was not away)
    I have found that when you are deeply troubled, there are things you get from the devoted companionship of a dog that you can get from no other source

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Wow... I knew thyroid caused behavior and weight changes, but never knew about the hair loss
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@ddnene, I am really shocked, I was away on Holidays for 2 weeks and could see he was going bald !! I Freaked, now he has to be on meds for the rest of his life. I do wonder how long it was going on for, the vet said he would have gone Bald if we had left it. I am interested to see if he changes, the vet keeps saying he will be like a "new" dog but I like my Bazza the way he is LOL I Bet Walter is still keeping you on your toes !!!! Hope he has stopped gardening ! LOL ( I missed alot of posts as I was not away)
    I think when he means "changes" he will start feeling better in general… sleeping, eating, and just in general getting his energy back!!! I know that's what my thyroid meds do for me anyway… Lol Wally cost me around $1,000 dollars last month between my water bill, plumber, sprinkler and yard damage. I sure HOPE he slows down, I'm not sure I can afford this kind of "fun" much longer… LMAO!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller

Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Wow... I knew thyroid caused behavior and weight changes, but never knew about the hair loss
    It normally does in humans as well… my hair is so dang thick I didn't even notice it… Lol

Real Name
    Andrea
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bazza
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I think when he means "changes" he will start feeling better in general… sleeping, eating, and just in general getting his energy back!!! I know that's what my thyroid meds do for me anyway… Lol Wally cost me around $1,000 dollars last month between my water bill, plumber, sprinkler and yard damage. I sure HOPE he slows down, I'm not sure I can afford this kind of "fun" much longer… LMAO!!!
    Oh Dear, Walter is very naughty, by very cute !! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads