Wellie's in the Hospital.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thinking of you all and sending good thoughts. I just noticed from your avatar that you added a new cutie to your fam and, thought, wow, i've missed so much ...

It's fantastic that it's a 24/7 hospital, nothing could be better than that.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks guys.

For whatever reason, we thought the prognosis was good. Never thought to ask the vet if there's a chance he won't make it.

Just now though, I looked it up- apparently the prognosis is not good for this diagnosis.

I can't believe this is happening. He was in our care for two weeks and winded up in the hospital with a condition that results in deaths more often than not. I'm shocked right now. This bullie better pull through!!!

Ellie, I was aware it's not a great thang but truly, I believe it makes a big
difference when they don't get in as quickly as Wellie did. I'm believing all
will be well with him and a 24 hr vet hospital is about as good as it gets.
It's so difficult, Honey but try and remain strong & rest, I just feel GOD is
got this, I really do. Praying over Wellie & y'all all night long <3

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Oh my God! Im so sorry to read that x sending prayers your way xz

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks guys.

For whatever reason, we thought the prognosis was good. Never thought to ask the vet if there's a chance he won't make it.

Just now though, I looked it up- apparently the prognosis is not good for this diagnosis.

I can't believe this is happening. He was in our care for two weeks and winded up in the hospital with a condition that results in deaths more often than not. I'm shocked right now.
This bullie better pull through!!!

You our got him there early and fast.... Think positive. Continued prayers for a speedy recovery. (((Hugs)))

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He will pull through this. Like 2BullyMama said you took him in as soon as you realized how bad it had become. Be strong for him and muffin boy, he's got a bunch of angels watching over him and he has my prayers.

Thats nice to have a hospital open 24 hours a day! Give him a big kiss from all of us when you see him.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with the gang- had you waited a day or two to see if he would perk up before taking him in-- then he would be in severe danger, but you knew something was off and took him in right away. Have you gotten any progress reports on how he's doing yet?

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks everyone.

Just so you guys know how fast this became an issue- last week he was at 3 different vets.

Monday 9/22- Took him to his regular vet for a check-up because we just got him (she even did a chest x-ray because he was throwing up). Everything was fine. She did mention it was difficult to hear because his breathing is very loud.

Tuesday 9/23- The next day, we had an appointment at the hospital he's in now, with the vet that was supposed to do his neuter and palate/nare surgery. She also checked him from head to toe, listened to his heart and lungs, and had a consultation about his patella luxation (soft tissue/ortho surgery her specialties and I trust her 100%).
She said she "thinks" everything's fine but it's difficult to tell over his breathing. He's very, very loud.

Thursday 9/25- Two days later we took him to a vet a few blocks away, because I thought he had fleas (false alarm). She checked him from head to toe as well and also listened to his lungs. Again, everything was fine.

10/4 - He's being hospitalized for aspiration pneumonia. I'm baffled. How quickly does this develop??

Three vets, no one was able to hear or see anything.

Just the worst luck.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
No update yet. I did call last night and they said he was "fine". But he's in ICU so I take it "fine" means he's the "same".

Going there now.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No update yet. I did call last night and they said he was "fine". But he's in ICU so I take it "fine" means he's the "same".

Going there now.

Give him hugs and kisses from us

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
His vet just called. Said he's showing improvement. They'll x-ray again tomorrow and if it looks better, may release him tomorrow afternoon. I mentioned we have Blue and I don't think it's a good idea (since it's gonna be difficult to keep him calm), and he said good to know, they'll keep him there for at least another few days.

Either way, we're leaving now.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and good thoughts, please keep them coming. I love you guys, and can't begin to express how much I appreciate the well wishes.

:grouphug:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh Ellie, I'm just NOW reading this…
I'm so so sorry to hear about Wellie, my GOD it's a good thing that you trusted your instincts and took him in to the vets straight away. I can't believe that after seeing all those vets that nobody even hinted at having a respiratory issue… I swear I don't understand why they can't seem to diagnose this. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers right now, I know you guys are worried sick… please keep us posted!!! :pray: :hug:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Fingers crossed, and sending positive healing thoughts....

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I must saw this also.l.so sorry to hear but it sounds like good news at least that they're ready to release him soon! Get well Wellington and come home all better!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.