Dog door

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
We just fenced in our yard and want to put in a dog door for him but I can't find one that is wide enough for his shoulders.
has anybody else had luck with one and if so could you point me in the right direction.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He would fit through a door for a large dog-but he should not have too much freedom, as an English Bulldog can not take much heat, and they do not have the sense to
stay out of the sun. Mine would lay out in the sun until they cooked! I have a doggy door but never installed it for that reason. I would not recommend a doggy door for an EBD. [MENTION=5106]Walter323[/MENTION] I think most "owners" would agree.............

OP
Walter323

Walter323

Jun 11, 2012
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Walter actually isn't a big fan of the sun and seeks out the shade whenever possible. We have 3 large shade trees in our back yard as well as a kiddy pool for him.
He also wouldn't have free access to go outside at all times, just when we are home.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
In that case a door for a large dog should work for him. Measure his shoulder width and the door. It should work fine. @Walter323
some people do not realize about giving them freedom, and the sun.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We had an extra-large door installed in our wall when we built our house… it was for a boxer and a bulldog. BUT my boxer got a neck spur from it because she would run thru like gang-busters… and the bulldogs never seemed to care for it. I want to know WHEN they go outside so honestly I didn't think it was worth the trouble.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Doggie doors and bullies, don't go together. It always makes me nervous when people want to use them. It only takes one time to forget they are outside and 1) they get stolen, or 2) they die of heat stroke. So if you put in one, be very careful and keep an eye on them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We have a large from Lowes. It is on our slider to our deck and the can only go out when we are home. Banks is not good with regulating herself so we have to keep close watch... Our Frenchie, Cheli does a real good job of regulating... Comes in when he gets hot or eats ice from a bowl.

mackbob

Sep 1, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bob (Bobman)
Got one from homedepot that works for sliding glass doors in a size large but even the puppy can make it through. Our area is enclosed so it's safe, and i love it so do the dogs!

Most Reactions