FBI Makes Animal Cruelty a Group A Felony

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
By Sue Manning- Associated Press.

For years, the FBI has filed animal abuse under the label "other" along with a variety of lesser crimes, making cruelty hard to find, hard to count and hard to track. The bureau announced this month that it would make animal cruelty a Group A felony with its own category — the same way crimes like homicide, arson and assault are listed.
"It will help get better sentences, sway juries and make for better plea bargains," said Madeline Bernstein, president and CEO of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Los Angeles and a former New York prosecutor.

Read full article here (it's not long): http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/fbi-turns-animal-cruelty-top-tier-felony-25889135

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
GOOD… I'm glad to hear it!!! Unfortunately this is how most serial killers start out, and they need to keep an eye on these a-holes… IMO!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ellie thanks for sharing this article. it stated exactly what I was thinking before I read the article, that people who hurt, maim, abuse or kill innocent animals are usually disturbed, or sociopaths and will go on to harm or kill people. It is great that Animal Cruelty or Abuse is going to be treated as a felony as it should be, Animals need and deserve to be protected as well. It's just sad that that because they are animals the crimes against them aren't treated as seriously as crimes against people and society. We see the same thing when it comes to the laws regarding dog food regulations and what is acceptable and allowed to be put into dog food. Some ingredients, and what is passed as dog food such as euthanized and sick animals, and road kill and the glycerin that was put in dog treats from China that caused many pet illnesses and deaths in the past 2 years are some examples of this. Why are these things allowed and why are they being passed off as healthy dog food? Is it because they are animals and not treated and protected the same? These things would never be allowed in food for human consumption. I'm glad that crimes against animals are finally going to be treated as a felony, but it's sad that they are only doing this because they believe by doing this it will help them reduce crimes against people, and not because animals are vulnerable and innocent members of our society and deserve and should be protected from violence against them.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] Unfortunately, animals are still considered possessions in most (if not all) states here.

But, this is definitely a huge step, even if done for reasons we disagree with. In the end, it helps two fold. Identifying potential sociopaths and treating them early, and more/longer prison sentences for those that abuse animals.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Good!!! It's a start, and hopefully animal abusers will start getting more harsher sentences with this coming out in the open, instead of just a slap on the hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
great to see this ... huge step in the right direction, for sure

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Let's hope they do a better job than the Secret Service!!:blush:

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
It sounds great but it's anything like this country nothing will happen. Sadly under resourced and fighting the likes of drug, gun and murder crimes

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online