Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
ronnie
c2bf8936b0c9e11c01b0f33d0184ea20.jpg
a3a389d17a24dd5d898e4930f6a2e910.jpg
421218df18d5cd5545babdc496cf2124.jpg
f1b1d149c4751210d04cb56438f9dda2.jpg

My son vinnie suffers with tonsilitus and this specific time he was extremely bad. Ronnie stood over him for over half an hour, at first I was a bit worried thinking it could be the dominating thing but as I watched he just kept sniffing him and licking. Vin didn't seemed to mind, especially when he joined him and cheered him up. Do you think they can sense when your poorly?

OP
kirstyrebe

kirstyrebe

Sep 27, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
ronnie
Haha I definitely wouldn't have Ronnie as my doctor. I was just asking as this is unusual behaviour for him

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I believe they can, dogs just seem to know when we are sad, and when we aren't ourselves. I have read on here about many members who have been sick, or are recuperating after surgery and their bullies will sit with them and snuggle more than usual. I believe they have a sense of when we aren't feeling well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I know at least some can. I know a bully who can tell his diabetic owner when his blood sugar is low. He may have saved his owners life numerous times.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
Agreed, Bazza seems to sense emotions, like when someone is sad, sick, crazy, scared, he seems to be able to read the differences between my kids too. Dogs are just so clever, dogs can predict seizures, cancers and of course all the services doggies, wish we were as smart as them LOL!

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry can, I'm sure of it. I'm not sick exactly, but have terribly bad pain days that make me feel somewhat sick and just generally terrible. It happens a lot. If I can manage to get to the couch to rest Henry doesn't leave my side. He will lay with me and barely move all day long. He did this even when he was a playful puppy. It's very comforting. He will lay on the couch most days and have a nap on my legs but he acts different when I don't feel good. Our other dog is a lab and he can also tell, he lays his head in my lap and sits next to me and won't leave. I don't understand it, but it's so nice on my worst days. I used to suffer alone. Now I'm surrounded by doggy love.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I know that dogs have been trained to detect cancer with their powerful sense of smell and probably can sense when something is wrong.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh absolutely… I think that dogs have a second sense about them when one of their family members are sick. Sorry to hear about your son, my son had horrible tonsillitis for years and we eventually had to have his tonsils removed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hope your son is feeling better! yes, most dogs can sense illness or depression... they are amazing

OP
kirstyrebe

kirstyrebe

Sep 27, 2014
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
ronnie
I watched a documentary about dogs who can sense cancer and epileptic fits it was amazing how these animals are so clever. My son has had tonsilitus 9 times this year and the good old nhs won't take them out and even our private care won't as it's an ongoing condition he's had all his life... He's pretty got used to it now and he's only 4. At least he has Ronnie to be his own personal teddy bear

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I believe dogs can sense when we are not well, physically or emotionally. I've also heard of them "sensing" illness/disease in their owner even before it's been diagnosed.

Last spring i had a case of food poisoning and was stumbling on the floor with pain; both Tate and Finn would not leave my side the whole time i was wretching in the bathroom. Yes, they are devoted and do know what's going on.

julescoffman

Sep 26, 2014
florence sc
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasmine and Ruger
I absolutely believe they can,my daughter Kylie has had 3 sinus surgeries,and every time she got home Jazz would not leave her side,if she shut her bedroom door Jazzy would lay at her door till we let her in,so sweet..and when im upset about something she will not leave my side! I think they definitely have a sense that something is not normal.
Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

Chubby

Feb 20, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubby
[MENTION=12895]kirstyrebe[/MENTION]...Chubby always trys to cuddle the kids when they are sick...I feel like he knows...they just want to make you feel better!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.