Spay question?

meganmarie

Sep 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ella Grace
I'm still new to all this bullie health risk stuff and I haven't found any posts regarding my question.

Ella is 2.5 years old. I don't know her history regarding medical care as she's a puppy mill rescue and they weren't very forth coming with info to begin with. She isn't fixed, but at this age what are the pros and cons with getting her spayed? I just got her, I don't want to lose her. When we take her out she is strictly on a leash and supervised at all times and we have no intact males in my household. I'm just not sure, all I've read are how eb go into surgery and don't come out :(

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!!

I would say the first thing you need to do is find a GOOD bully vet. I will post a link of recommendations on here…
It's not so much the surgery that causes issues, but since EBD's have compromise breathing and that makes anesthesia very tricky for this breed. I will tag some members who have dealt w/spaying their females so that you can get their opinions… I know that spaying decreases the risks of cancer and tumors.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...ews-Recommended-English-Bulldog-Veterinarians

ahnotty

Sep 12, 2014
Arizone
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Also reduce the risk of pyometria, which is basicly an infection of the uterus and can be fatal

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had dogs spayed all my life-never had any problems. I have had four EBD's spayed-but my vet is very experienced with Bulldogs-so he understands their needs when it comes to anaesthesia Find a veterinarian who is experienced with English bullies. Life is much easier when you don't have to deal with their heat cycles,and healthier for them, also-but wait until you find a GOOD vet. She is still plenty young enough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you gotten great advice/info from the gang.... I had Banks spayed at 7 months old, without any issue

OP
M

meganmarie

Sep 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Ella Grace
Thanks guys!! I looked on the PA section of recommended vets. All over 4 hours from me but I hope since I live in Pittsburgh there has to be someone familiar with EB in the big city :) I just have to look

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As others have said, find a good bully vet and have her spayed, to prevent the chance of her getting Pyometria.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online