cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is what my friend shrieked to me as she stepped into the passenger seat of my car the other day. Well, she's right. It does smell like dog but what do you expect when I have two dogs to lug around?
I think I've gotten used to the smell b/c until she exclaimed this, I really hadn't noticed much! :no: And it's not that it bothers me but then I started noticing that my whole house smells the same as my car.

I think what i'm getting at here is, my dogs mean more to me than what my house smells like or what other people think my house/car smells like BUT...what do you guys use to make your abode smell fresh and clean? please don't tell me that i'm the only one who has eau de pooch as my house "freshener"!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
This is what my friend shrieked to me as she stepped into the passenger seat of my car the other day. Well, she's right. It does smell like dog but what do you expect when I have two dogs to lug around?
I think I've gotten used to the smell b/c until she exclaimed this, I really hadn't noticed much! :no: And it's not that it bothers me but then I started noticing that my whole house smells the same as my car.

I think what i'm getting at here is, my dogs mean more to me than what my house smells like or what other people think my house/car smells like BUT...what do you guys use to make your abode smell fresh and clean? please don't tell me that i'm the only one who has eau de pooch as my house "freshener"!

Careful....My car resembles that remark. And whatever you do....don't leave one of those lamb bones in a hot car. My lord, I could not use enough Febreeze to mask the odor. Even Bentley's farts or Jewel's "fluffs" (for @Vikinggirl) are not that bad. In that regard, I sent a letter to the makers of Febreeze. The responded that I should try one of their other brand extensions and I got a $2.00 "coupin." :w00t:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Lol.. our car does too. But I can smell it when I go in.
I'm very sensitive to smell, and honestly don't like it at all in my car. I use scented candles that I keep in a cup holder. I don't light them, but they seem to help anyway.
I also use baking soda on the rugs and vacuum the car weekly.

For our apartment, I don't use anything on the rugs. I just always keep the windows open to air the place out. But my pups can't reach the window, so it's easy for me..lol..

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Lol. I agree with you Henny, if you're a dog lover, you don't mind the slight door of dog or the shedding hair that were constantly sweeping and rubbing off our clothes. How bad can the smell be? I would never say that to somebody, but I know people who do. My mom thinks my house is hairy, and she gets upset because she gets dog hair on her clothes. It's it that many, but too much for her, she thinks dogs don't belong in the house and should be outside, she doesn't understand that I treat my dogs as my family. She will never understand, and she's missing out on the love and happiness a dog brings. I don't notice a dog door in my house, and the only time I can smell when the dogs have been in the car is if it's been raining, and they're a little wet, or if they've running around the park. It's like smelling wet boy when they have running around outside. Lol. My hubby uses Febreeze, and he will use arm and hammer powder once in a while when he vacuums the car. As for de shedding my house, I vacuum, sweep and Swiffer the floors every Wednesday, and on Sunday I vacuum, sweep, and damp mop the floors. The dryer takes care of the hair on our clothes as well as we have many sticky rollers around. Lol.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Oh i totally understand what you are going though...but I have been told you can't tell i have cats or dogs in my house. I have a very keen sense of smell so for me what i do is i use plug ins, candles and wax burners. I clean my house about 3/4 days a week too, just because of all the hair/smell...that's a bit much to me but it helps keep atleast the hair under control.
I really dislike yankee candles but their wall plug ins are great. Also in the room where the dogs sleep, that stinks the most, i use those damp rids, with the container that traps odors/wetness. I got one for $1.50 at big lots and it works great for their room.
The wax burners are good cause you can leave them on all the time and just replace the wax.

I don't use anything for the car. I get car sick, so having a scent in there would bother me. And nothing covers bully farts...hahahaha.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
great ideas, gang! i'm taking notes here...plug ins, "damp rids"?? i never heard of this but will look out for them. [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION], i don't think i've ever vacuumed my car in the almost-10years i've owned it! :w00t: Do you use one of those hand-held vacs?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
great ideas, gang! i'm taking notes here...plug ins, "damp rids"?? i never heard of this but will look out for them. @Blueberrys Mom, i don't think i've ever vacuumed my car in the almost-10years i've owned it! :w00t: Do you use one of those hand-held vacs?

Yep- I used to use my Black & Decker Dustbuster. But it's only 14.4 volts and I didn't vacuum as well as I would have liked.
I now use my cordless Dyson Animal. I LOVE IT! Best vacuum ever. For the home and car.
If you decide to get a hand held vacuum, make sure the voltage is higher than my Dust buster.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
great ideas, gang! i'm taking notes here...plug ins, "damp rids"?? i never heard of this but will look out for them. @Blueberrys Mom, i don't think i've ever vacuumed my car in the almost-10years i've owned it! :w00t: Do you use one of those hand-held vacs?

Here's a link to those damp rid i use....http://www.damprid.com/products

I clean the carpet in that room often cause brutus gets mad and likes to pee in there, and it's a thick carpet so it gets a nasty musty odor. ...these are great for that and just scenting the room.

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
Ever seen the frebreeze commercial where the woman has the intervention with her sister and they fill her living room with cats? The sister goes "Yeah this is what your house smells like" I am in constant fear of that, but love George more than any fragrance he produces :tongue:. We use Arm & Hammer pet odor eliminating carpet powder. You sprinkle it into the carpet & vacuum it up! It is awesome. We also use frebreeze and I have "Wallflowers" with different scents from Bath and Body Works all over the house. Although, someone in my house loves to knock them out of the wall haha. Must be the cat.:laugh:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
See, I'm scared to use anything on my rugs or furniture.
Blue has such terrible skin allergies, that all I do (but I do this daily), is wipe everything down with a damp cloth and vacuum.

Once a week, I will use Pledge Dust & Allergen though and Swiffer Sweeper with the wet cloths. But I make sure Chris is out with Blue (and now Wellie) so the floors can dry and the Pledge smell evaporates.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I admit I smell dog In my car when it has been raining and Ftse has got wet but my house I have ceramic tiles apart from the bedroom which is a bonus when having animals and I vacuum everyday and empty the vacuum cleaner each day too as this harbours smells and I have a Dyson with no bag as in the past I have noticed if you have a bag that you need to empty it holds the smell and next time you vacuum you are putting the doggy smell back in, I also wash my floors at least every second day and I use a steam mop and put a capful of white vinegar in the water chamber and my house smells fresh but I do have my windows and doors open all the time unless its raining or freezing. I do have a rug in the lounge room that Ftse lays on and I use the turbo foot to clean that and I never put anything like carpet fresh down as from past experience its sticky and the dirt and smell cling to it just clean it if I think I can smell anything. My daughter is very critical and she says she can not smell that Ftse lives inside.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I SOOO want a steam mop [MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] but I have wood floors and was told I can't use one :(

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I wish i could leave my windows and doors open most of the time but i have to get screen doors/windows put in first.

Okay, based on these posts and the amount of time you guys spend cleaning your homes, i've concluded that the lot of you are a bunch of clean freaks(!!):sarcastic: (or i'm just a messy slob) . No wonder my house smells like a kennel. :ashamed:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I wish i could leave my windows and doors open most of the time but i have to get screen doors/windows put in first.

Okay, based on these posts and the amount of time you guys spend cleaning your homes, i've concluded that the lot of you are a bunch of clean freaks(!!):sarcastic: (or i'm just a messy slob) . No wonder my house smells like a kennel. :ashamed:

lol.. oh man, my mom would so disagree with the clean freak comment.

But I will admit becoming a bit anal about it since getting Blue. I try to keep the place as dust free, and clean as I can 'cause of his allergies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.