Right decision?

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Did I make the right decision on having Bentley neutered while having his cherry eye removed? I just feel so awful right now...

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Yes, absolutely! The recovery from the neuter is easier than from the cherry eye and he will be a happier and healthier dog in the long run. No prostate cancer and no hormones driving him crazy every time he smalls a female in heat somewhere in the air!

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Poor thing has been through so much and to have that pain coming from both ends is just upsetting to me...thank you [MENTION=10206]agentbunny[/MENTION], I'm feeling a little better about it now!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It was the right decision. Putting a bully under anesthesia only once is the best thing for them. You absolutely did the right thing for your baby.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Thanks y'all! This definitely puts my mind at ease...waiting for the call now, will update everyone after surgery!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, you absolutely did the right thing, I agree with everyone's comments. I had Blossom spayed and her cherry eye done at the same time, spay surgery is a more involved surgery with an incision, ovaries and uterus removed and more stitches than a neuter surgery. Blossom had a very quick recovery, she was running around the next day, and even jumped off our couch. She acted like she never had surgery. I had Dozer neutered a week later after she healed. He also had a great recovery. Bentley won't have any post surgical pain, he will have pain medication for 4 days post surgery, and then he will be all healed by a week. They bounce back quite quickly, and you'll be glad that you did both at the same time. It means he only has to go under anesthetic once instead of twice, he heals all at once, and it is actually cheaper to do more than one surgery at the same time. I paid more for Blossoms second cherry eye surgery than I did for her spay and her first cherry eye surgery together, because she had to be put under anesthetic again, IV fluids, medications, operating time etc.
Having your guy neutered is best if you aren't planning to use him for breeding, as it will reduce his risk of certain cancers, it will reduce his urge to hump, or mark his scent, and will eliminate his urge to run off or wander looking for females in heat, which can put him at risk of getting lost, or getting hit by a car. He has been through the surgery now, and he will be back to himself before you know it don't feel bad or guilty, you made the right decision.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Bentley just got out of surgery and is doing amazing! They were able to tack both eyes even though the left one hasn't been coming out! As far as the neutering goes, he did awesome! I'm so glad to have you guys to turn to for all of the help and information y'all have offered!

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Thank you [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION]!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
First, I'm glad to hear that he came out of the procedures without any issues. Anytime our bullies have to go under, it's very stressful.

Regarding getting him neutered. When Blue had both his cherry eyes tacked, he was 9 months too. I chose not to neuter him as I believe that's too young to neuter and this practice seems to only be common in the U.S (maybe Canada as well but not sure). No other civilized country in the world neuters their dogs, let alone puppies.

The prostate cancer argument is incorrect.
Sorry to say this @agentbunny but it's absolutely not guarantee that they won't get prostate cancer. What it does do is keep the prostate from enlarging which "may" cause issues down the road. Generally prostate issues result in neutering anyway, but not in cancer!

The truth of the matter is, the whole neuter/spade argument is all about animal control, that's it. Using any other argument such as prostate or testicular cancer doesn't work for me since we don't neuter any other animal, nor do we neuter our human males to avoid these diseases, do we? So why is it OK to neuter our dogs?

Recently, more studies from various veterinary schools are coming out showing the values of leaving male dogs intact. In fact, I linked such a study a few months ago.

With that said, I will be neutering Blue and Wellie. But only because we live in a city where every other person has a dog, and unfortunately, snipped dogs hate intact ones. To avoid the constant fighting and to keep them socialized, we've decided we need to do it.
If we had our own property and lived in the suburbs though, I wouldn't even consider it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
With a bully it is always best to have them sedated as little as possible and if you had decided you were going to neuter at some point, it is best to do it all at once.

Heal up quick little guy!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh, I want to apologize for my "rant". But I like to take the opposing view on this touchy subject because to be honest, no vet will ever be able to tell you what the health benefits to neutering are other than it reduces the chances for a certain cancer.

That doesn't mean I don't understand wanting to neuter because you want to avoid or decrease the chances for certain diseases. For some of us though, we disagree with what we see as a drastic preemptive procedure. One that's not done to any other species.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.