Right decision?

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
Glad to know Bentley is doing well!! Prayers for a safe and quick recovery!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh, I want to apologize for my "rant". But I like to take the opposing view on this touchy subject because to be honest, no vet will ever be able to tell you what the health benefits to neutering are other than it reduces the chances for a certain cancer.

That doesn't mean I don't understand wanting to neuter because you want to avoid or decrease the chances for certain diseases. For some of us though, we disagree with what we see as a drastic preemptive procedure. One that's not done to any other species.

Oh I agree w/you on this… I think that in the states this is pushed out of control, and w/out the science to back it up. I never even realized this until I joined EBN and saw that many other countries do NOT spay/neuter half as much as we do here… I'm on the fence w/Wally, and honestly I DO NOT want to do it. I don't want to deal w/another surgery, and another reason I love my vet is that she agrees that it's not an absolute necessary procedure!!!

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Blueberrys Mom;541512[B said:
]First, I'm glad to hear that he came out of the procedures without any issues. Anytime our bullies have to go under, it's very stressful.

Regarding getting him neutered. When Blue had both his cherry eyes tacked, he was 9 months too. I chose not to neuter him as I believe that's too young to neuter and this practice seems to only be common in the U.S (maybe Canada as well but not sure). No other civilized country in the world neuters their dogs, let alone puppies.

The prostate cancer argument is incorrect.
Sorry to say this @agentbunny but it's absolutely not guarantee that they won't get prostate cancer. What it does do is keep the prostate from enlarging which "may" cause issues down the road. Generally prostate issues result in neutering anyway, but not in cancer!

The truth of the matter is, the whole neuter/spade argument is all about animal control, that's it. Using any other argument such as prostate or testicular cancer doesn't work for me since we don't neuter any other animal, nor do we neuter our human males to avoid these diseases, do we? So why is it OK to neuter our dogs?

Recently, more studies from various veterinary schools are coming out showing the values of leaving male dogs intact. In fact, I linked such a study a few months ago.

With that said, I will be neutering Blue and Wellie. But only because we live in a city where every other person has a dog, and unfortunately, snipped dogs hate intact ones. To avoid the constant fighting and to keep them socialized, we've decided we need to do it.
If we had our own property and lived in the suburbs though, I wouldn't even consider it.[/B]

I agree with this as well and at this point do not plan on having it done on Dozer.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh I agree w/you on this… I think that in the states this is pushed out of control, and w/out the science to back it up. I never even realized this until I joined EBN and saw that many other countries do NOT spay/neuter half as much as we do here… I'm on the fence w/Wally, and honestly I DO NOT want to do it. I don't want to deal w/another surgery, and another reason I love my vet is that she agrees that it's not an absolute necessary procedure!!!

Tracey, [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]
You live in Tn. You are a RESPONSIBLE dog owner. Just in my area(county) alone as far as dogs are concerned-every owner who lets their dogs run loose and terrorize the neighbors, the neighbors cows, kids, goats, horses, whatever it may be, and doesn't give a hoot-shoots the dog-and then gets another one to run loose-they should be required to get neutered themselves. THEN maybe they might start being responsible! I am guessing that it is not only in Tn.
If your dog is mannerly and the owner is responsible, and it is not a health concern-then it is the owner's decision.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Tracey, @ddnene
You live in Tn. You are a RESPONSIBLE dog owner. Just in my area(county) alone as far as dogs are concerned-every owner who lets their dogs run loose and terrorize the neighbors, the neighbors cows, kids, goats, horses, whatever it may be, and doesn't give a hoot-shoots the dog-and then gets another one to run loose-they should be required to get neutered themselves. THEN maybe they might start being responsible! I am guessing that it is not only in Tn.
If your dog is mannerly and the owner is responsible, and it is not a health concern-then it is the owner's decision.

It's a horrible problem here in Clarksville… they are constantly FULL at Animal Control. They do send all the pups 4 mos and younger on the puppy train up north so they find "good" homes.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It's funny you mention TN. Our neighbor has a dog Blue's age, they're 3 weeks apart. They drove down to Nashville to pick him up. When I asked why she went all the way to TN, she said they have a ton of puppies that need homes. Funny thing is, she named him Nash..lol.
He's the sweetest dog I've ever met, and the only dog Blue does a butt wiggle for.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.