Help needed!

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi everyone!!

I've been a bulldog owner for the last 8 years, my little guy passed away 2 years ago so I got a new bullie pup for xmas last year. Bailey! He is complete opposite of my previous dog! He has always been a very hyper puppy and even after long playtime sessions he would still be very excited. Now he is 11 months old and still as hyper as before!! I was hoping this was something that would go away with age as my previous dog was never this crazy. I understand each dog is different, after consulting with the vet and a trainer, I was told Bailey has an hyperactive personality.
I've never had problems with him besides him bouncing off the walls and we often lounge on the couch together but he just started getting aggressive which is sending up a red flag in my book. We would be sitting quietly in the kitchen and all of a sudden he would start biting other people! He just attacked my grandma and even after I interfered he would bite back and follow her! I've never seen him this way. It's happened again with my dad and a delivery guy! He would just pounce out of the blue! I tried figuring out what triggered him, he's generally agitated even after a long walk but has never shown dominance or aggression. I've been walking him, playing with him etc.. It's like he's transformed into a different dog! Any advice? Any clues to why he's personality changed? What can I do to help him and correct this behavior?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would take him to the vets and have him checked out. That could be a sign of some illness. If he checks out healthy then it would be wise to get a trainer to come to your house rather sooner than later. In my opinion bad behaviour hardly ever goes away by itself, it usually gets worse if nothings done.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with Riisi. Also this is the most common age for this type of behavior to present itself because the hormones are going crazy right now. Think of him as an unruly teenager to help understand where he's feeling emotionally. Just like with teens, you have to try to control their random outbursts and guide them to proper behavior.

Can you believe my angel of a son at 16 actually yelled at me for giving one of my younger toddlers a Popsicle that was in the freezer for three weeks? Once he calmed down he realized just how childish he was being-- but he had a hard time controlling his frustration with the whole thing.

Is your boy neutered? Sometimes this can help with hormones, but not always. Even neutered pets still produce testosterone/estrogen and can get unruly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Stef, I'm sorry for the loss of your baby, and Congratulations on your new baby Bailey. I agree with Riisi and Lisa, a checkup with the vet would be a good idea. One sign of a thyroid issue is sudden aggression. If there are no health issues found, then the next step would be some training. Some of it is probably a puppy phase or teenage phase as Lisa already mentioned, and hopefully he settles down soon, but if it was just hyperactivity I wouldn't be too concerned, but the fact that he's getting aggressive with family members and biting, that is not good, and should be rectified as soon as possible before it escalates and he becomes more aggressive and bites somebody or a child and really hurts them. He's still a pup, and he's going to get a little bigger and stronger, so you want to curb the biting as soon as possible. Is this a new behaviour, did someone spook him, like the delivery man? I hope you can find a solution to his aggressiveness. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree witht he others... this is teenage years phase and it will get worse if not addressed. Have you vet evaluate for any possible health issues and if he is fine, then you need to reinforce your training and make sure he knows you are the boss and not him.

this training techneque is easy and will help.... also, all humans in home must be consistent so he knows the rules

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

OP
S

Stef123

Feb 25, 2014
Country
Philippines
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the help and advice! I didn't want to get back without some solid information. Bailey seems to have a serious grudge against my grandma and attacked her last week again. She needed stitches this time. He's perfectly healthy as he goes to the vet and I did mention his behavior at the clinic. I finally got a trainer and there is some improvement with his hyperactivity. He's more settled down but his aggression towards my grandmother is still very much present! The trainer mentioned that she must have hurt him, I saw her kick the dog one day and got really mad. She would also hurt my parents dog who is tiny! The trainer simply told me to keep them apart as much as possible. Bailey isn't neutered and I did notice that a lot of times he would behave strangely, sit in a really weird position and lick his lips non stop while twisting his head. After this, he would feel ashamed and hide under a table or behind the couch... I'm trying to get his emotions under control but this is just very overwhelming, the hyperactivity! The aggressions! The weird behavior. He's just unpredictable and I'm hoping after a few months of training he will be balanced.
I'll keep everyone poster! Thank you again for the advice!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.