Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Last Sunday I was giving Khloe a bath and found a little cactus thorn in her upper hind leg. She wasn't bothered, and it was real soft so I didn't think anything of it.

Next day, she woke up with an interdigital cyst on the same leg! It was enormous! She has never had one- but I remembered the cactus thorn and thought :hmm: wonder if that had something to do with it?

I soaked her paw in clorahexidine and it immediately lanced itself, and pink thick puss came out of it. I continued doing the soaks each day and it closed up and started looking better.

Yesterday during her soak I noticed it was almost gone, but her leg looked really swollen! I felt her gland in her upper leg and it was certainly swollen too. Infection. :(

She went to the vet today and was given cephalexin 3 (a stronger ceph?) and rimadyl. Hopefully she gets better soon. Crazy thing is she hasn't been bothered at all this whole week.... she is acting like nothing is wrong. All while I'm freaking out. She's like "What is your problem ma? Why you keep fussing over my leg???"

Here's some pics of my cutie patootie in her soak last night of epsom salts- totally not bothered!

IMG_0724.JPG

Rear view of her swollen leg.

IMG_0751.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Khloe, I'm so sorry you're going through this with her leg. It sounds like she may have got some bacteria in the wound from the cactus thorn and it caused a Cellulitis or an infection of the skin. You're doing the right thing soaking it in Epsom Salts, this will help soothe the wound, and help heal it, and the medication should help clear it up. Did the vet prescribe an antibiotic? I hope it clears up soon, and the swelling goes down, and she feels better.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
ugh, cephalxin.. 375mg? Blue gets diarrhea on it.

wonder if something bit her? kinda weird it would get so infected from a cactus thorn. then again, they are bullies..lol.

glad to hear it's not bothering her. get well soon sweetie!

Amber Borchert

Sep 18, 2014
Just like with human antibiotics can kill off natural bacteria in the digestive tract. Greek yogurt with probiotics will help counter diarrhea & yeast infections.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Cephalexin comes 250 and 500 unless it's liquid. What is the description on the capsules? The markings?

I would have freaked out too. Actually....I freak out usually for much less.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Cephalexin comes 250 and 500 unless it's liquid. What is the description on the capsules? The markings?

I would have freaked out too. Actually....I freak out usually for much less.

Sorry, I was thinking Clavamox.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The weird thing is that I could never find a wound, except for the interdigital cyst- but that came after. The thorn was in there pretty good, maybe it was dirty, it's just so weird. The thorn was also somewhat soft, yellow in color, likely from a cholla cactus. We removed all of those from our yard but they find their way in. :(

The pills are lemon yellow colored. He said he wanted to use this one because it's more powerful. I am under the impression it's a new form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Sorry, I was thinking Clavamox.

Amoxicillin is one of the drugs in clavamox. I'm still not understanding the Cephalexin 3. We sell pet meds and human meds and I've never heard of it. It doesn't even come up in google.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Amoxicillin is one of the drugs in clavamox. I'm still not understanding the Cephalexin 3. We sell pet meds and human meds and I've never heard of it. It doesn't even come up in google.

Ok it is called Cefpodoxime (simplicef) 200mg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby girl, hope she gets better soon.

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Ok it is called Cefpodoxime (simplicef) 200mg

Ok. I get it. It's a 3rd generation cephalosporin. That's where the 3 comes in. It's brand name is Vantin I think.

I believe it's a powerful drug...It should do the job fairly quickly. Keep us up to date!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The Thorn could have been dirty, my son got stung by a wasp on his forearm a few years back, and since he's not allergic, he didn't think anything of it, he had been stung by a wasp before, and never had a problem. The next morning when he woke up, his arm had swelled like a balloon, and he couldn't move his fingers very well. He went to Emergency, and the Doctor said he had Cellulitus or an infection of the skin from the wasp sting. He said its like getting poked by a dirty hypodermic needle because wasps tend to get into garbage cans, and food, and meat at barbecues, and picnics, etc. he got antibiotics and it cleared up.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok. I get it. It's a 3rd generation cephalosporin. That's where the 3 comes in. It's brand name is Vantin I think.

I believe it's a powerful drug...It should do the job fairly quickly. Keep us up to date!

Yep that's what he said. 3rd gen.

Oh and they are orange. It looked yellow when she tried to spit it out.

Yeah I think it could have been dirty, birds and rabbits being them into the yard all the time. We used to have loads of cholla cactus but I've removed it because it is dangerous. It's also called jumping cactus because it seems like it jumps on you, but actually once one little thorn gets you or your shoe it goes deeper when you move.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Update: Khloes leg is almost back to normal this morning. Only a little swelling left, the cyst is nearly gone too. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be back to normal.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.