Adoption Process

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
lord igor (aka iggy pup), bones and blue
Hello All - For some time now I have been looking to adopt a third member into my dog posse. Yesterday on petfinder I located a lil guy that seems to have the disposition that would meld well with my guys so I sent off an email through PF and also to the rescue directly. Now the waiting begins. I am wondering what to expect from the process. Do they only contact you on weekdays? Do they contact you at all if they decide based on the data you provided you are not a good fit? I keep checking my emails like a teenager waiting for my crush to send me a love note...

I know not to get my hopes up besides in the end it doesnt matter if I make the cut just that this pup gets the love he deserves.

Happy Saturday - Lisa

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Lisa!

It really depends on the rescue and how many volunteers they have- or even if they respond back at all. How long has it been since you applied?

Many rescues are strictly volunteer based, and the people who run it also have full time jobs, so it is hard to give a good time frame as to how long it takes. I always recommend you follow up.

It's (almost) like applying for a job..... You can quietly turn in your application and never get a call/email/response, even if you are qualified. But if you call or inquire on your app and be persistent, you will likely get the job over the other person who is also qualified. Although this is completely different than getting a job, it's about finding a perfect home, the application part is the same.

Mainly in both cases, this is due to not having much time to go through tons of applications. Many times will be about being the right application getting turned in at the right time for a perfect bulldog for you that is available.

Good luck, please let us know if you do adopt!

Last edited:
OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks I haven't turned in a formal app yet as the instruction were to email the address provided. I told them about our home and our fur babies and offer vet reference if desired. I will keep everyone updated.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We turned in an application, a week later had a phone interview. Next weekend we have a home visit.(2 weeks after the phone interview) I'm so excited, but trying not to get my hopes too high. Dog adoption is not easy and I take things so personal. I hope it goes well. Good luck to you

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
[MENTION=10908]Roseann[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8210]Lisa Marie Mayer[/MENTION] -good luck! Just remember things happen for a reason. We had our home visit etc and were one day from our meet and greet when we got an email that the meet and greet was cancelled and that it was overlooked on the application and home visit we had 6 kids. We were no longer desirable for a rescue dog from this rescue. I cried my eyes out for a long time as did my kids. Then, next thing we knew, we were contacted by another place about this 6-7 yr old in desperate need. We got to then rescue our beloved Winston! ! Its only been 4 weeks he has been with us, but it feels like we have always had him and our other bullie Trigger loves his older brother. He is a baby doll with all 6 of my skin kids!! They just adore him too.
If this one doesn't pan out, don't give up! Its so hard not to take it personal, but keep in mind things really do happen for a reason.
Keep us posted! Good luck to you as well! !

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
I firmly believe that if I am the right home for this guy then it will happen. If not then there is someone else out there that is a better fit or perhaps needs this more than I want it. I often think animals save us more then we save them...

Good luck Roseann. I will be finger crossing for you.

Thanks everyone.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I wasn't as eager to try to adopt because of a time I got rejected for a raggedy old mut at a shelter. I doubt he had anyone lining up to take him and it broke my heart, and my kids. The hubby wanted to try, so here we are. I want to adopt but sometimes the process is hard or impossible and I guess he's more optimistic than I am. I am afraid he will get upset if they turn us down. If anyone has any tips I would certainly appreciate it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
just wanted to wish you both best of luck... please keep us posted

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
They made contact via email yesterday afternoon and supplied an application. They stated there were many folks interested - which I expected. I filled it out and returned right away. Hurry up and wait.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Good luck hun xx

OP
Lisa Marie Mayer

Lisa Marie Mayer

Feb 20, 2013
michigan
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
After more time with the foster family it was determined that he may have male dog aggression issues after all. My posse is all boys so that rules us out as a good fit. I am thankful they found out now. I trust they will find the perfect home for him. Thanks everyone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
After more time with the foster family it was determined that he may have male dog aggression issues after all. My posse is all boys so that rules us out as a good fit. I am thankful they found out now. I trust they will find the perfect home for him. Thanks everyone.

Hope he finds the right home too... Hopefully they will have another to fit your home... Good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.