Thread: How could they look so different?

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily and Elvis
    Likes (Received)

Default How could they look so different?

Hey y'all. I am just wondering something.

We got Lily about 7 months ago, and promptly registered her. About a month and a half ago, we had the opportunity to get her litter mate, and jumped on it.

The question I have is this - why do they look so different? They are from the exact same litter, according to the AKC puppy papers, and according to the breeder.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but since she was a puppy, she has been fed a very high quality dog food, and he has been fed just basic dog food. Would that make that much of a difference in how lean she is, compared to how fat he is?

I'm so confused.

She is the mostly fawn bulldog, and he is the fawn and white bulldog.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -elvis13-jpg   -lily13-jpg  

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How could they look so different?

I keep in touch with the owners of 4 of Blues litter mates.

Blue has one sister with the same coloring and face. They're almost twins and they look like the dam.
    The other 3 look nothing like them, but they do look like each other, and the sire.
    It's very common.

Also, female bulldogs are usually "softer" than the males. Their heads can be smaller, and their bodies "curvier".

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

-011-jpgHere is a photo of my two full sisters from same AKC parents. The one in the back is totally different than the front one. Her legs are longer, and straighter her ears are not as nice-and she was extremely hyper as a pup-the opposite of her sister. Ya' know-I am 5' 8" and my sister is 5' 1". We both had the same parents. I took after my dad(even his disposition) and she took after my mom (sweet). It's all in the gene pool!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the new addition! What a handsome boy!

As stated above, litter mates can look completely different from each other. They can take after both parents, or more like the mom than dad, or even look more like the grandparent/great grandparent.

It's one of the most delightful traits about EBs, they are like humans and have so many different colors, shapes, sizes, tails, ears, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GAbeachBum View Post
    Hey y'all. I am just wondering something.

We got Lily about 7 months ago, and promptly registered her. About a month and a half ago, we had the opportunity to get her litter mate, and jumped on it.

The question I have is this - why do they look so different? They are from the exact same litter, according to the AKC puppy papers, and according to the breeder.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but since she was a puppy, she has been fed a very high quality dog food, and he has been fed just basic dog food. Would that make that much of a difference in how lean she is, compared to how fat he is?

I'm so confused.

She is the mostly fawn bulldog, and he is the fawn and white bulldog.
    you should google the full AKC registered names of their parents and see if there are images of them (there should be if they won some shows). Then you can compare to see which of the parents your pups look like. One may take after mom and the other the dad. I did this with my babies and Lola takes after her dad and Leo his mom.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Chalk it up to nature! our bulldogs inherit a random mix of their grandparent's genes, just like we humans do. So yes, there can be lots of variation in the litter mates/siblings. Also, I understand that the more similar in appearance the pup's parents are, the more "uniform" in appearance the litter will be.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily and Elvis
    Likes (Received)

thanks, everyone! I talked to the vet today too, when we went by and picked up medication and they said the same thing. I said, "So it's like fraternal twins?" They said, "Yup." And she takes after Dad, and he takes after Mom.

Thanks again. Y'all are amazing as usual.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

They are both beautiful.... Congrats on the new addition
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

My 4 friends i got 5 female bullies from same breeder 3 are lean and white 2 are brindle short and husky. My gracie is the shortest.here is a pic of Gracie and Pheobe at 8 months-uploadfromtaptalk1411774921805-jpg

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    X
    Likes (Received)

The boys are the same way. Rogan looks exactly like their father and Emmitt looks exactly like their mother. But we cannot tell the difference when they bark. Rogan is the largest and he eats so slow. Emmitt just scarfs it down. Ralphie

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpg-image-jpg[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]Hi I agree with everyone's advice above, bullies come in all different shapes, and sizes, every bully is different in size, shape, height, length of legs, size of head, colours, and weight. I also have 2 siblings, who are litter mates, and they are completely different from each other. My female Blossom looks bigger than her brother Bulldozer, although they both weigh 45 lbs each. Blossom has a more stockier body, like a barrel shape, and her chest is much bigger than Dozers. She has a bigger head, and she is mostly white with brown markings in her butt and back area. Bulldozer is leaner than his sister, some people,ask me if he's mixed with a Boxer, but he's all EB. He has a smaller head, and he is all Brown in colour.

Here are some pictures of my two guys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily and Elvis
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate all the help, everyone and I see so much of mine in here, in yours. She's hyper, he acts like he just smoked a big fatty. She inhales her food. Then tries to eat his. And treat time? Good grief. She swallows hers whole, and then tries to take his out of his mouth. But at poop time, he goes outside like a champ. He pees, he poops, he's back in the house. Her? She's so difficult, sometimes she runs to her crate and sits there and refuses to come out. They couldn't be more different, but then -- I think about my brother, and I couldn't be more different from him, either.

Remove Ads