How could they look so different?

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Hey y'all. I am just wondering something.

We got Lily about 7 months ago, and promptly registered her. About a month and a half ago, we had the opportunity to get her litter mate, and jumped on it.

The question I have is this - why do they look so different? They are from the exact same litter, according to the AKC puppy papers, and according to the breeder.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but since she was a puppy, she has been fed a very high quality dog food, and he has been fed just basic dog food. Would that make that much of a difference in how lean she is, compared to how fat he is?

I'm so confused. :(

She is the mostly fawn bulldog, and he is the fawn and white bulldog.

Attachments

• elvis13.jpg
    elvis13.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 122
  • lily13.jpg
    lily13.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 133

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I keep in touch with the owners of 4 of Blues litter mates.

Blue has one sister with the same coloring and face. They're almost twins and they look like the dam.
The other 3 look nothing like them, but they do look like each other, and the sire.
It's very common.

Also, female bulldogs are usually "softer" than the males. Their heads can be smaller, and their bodies "curvier".

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
011.JPGHere is a photo of my two full sisters from same AKC parents. The one in the back is totally different than the front one. Her legs are longer, and straighter her ears are not as nice-and she was extremely hyper as a pup-the opposite of her sister. Ya' know-I am 5' 8" and my sister is 5' 1". We both had the same parents. I took after my dad(even his disposition) and she took after my mom (sweet). It's all in the gene pool!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Congrats on the new addition! What a handsome boy!

As stated above, litter mates can look completely different from each other. They can take after both parents, or more like the mom than dad, or even look more like the grandparent/great grandparent.

It's one of the most delightful traits about EBs, they are like humans and have so many different colors, shapes, sizes, tails, ears, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Hey y'all. I am just wondering something.

We got Lily about 7 months ago, and promptly registered her. About a month and a half ago, we had the opportunity to get her litter mate, and jumped on it.

The question I have is this - why do they look so different? They are from the exact same litter, according to the AKC puppy papers, and according to the breeder.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but since she was a puppy, she has been fed a very high quality dog food, and he has been fed just basic dog food. Would that make that much of a difference in how lean she is, compared to how fat he is?

I'm so confused. :(

She is the mostly fawn bulldog, and he is the fawn and white bulldog.

you should google the full AKC registered names of their parents and see if there are images of them (there should be if they won some shows). Then you can compare to see which of the parents your pups look like. One may take after mom and the other the dad. I did this with my babies and Lola takes after her dad and Leo his mom.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Chalk it up to nature! our bulldogs inherit a random mix of their grandparent's genes, just like we humans do. So yes, there can be lots of variation in the litter mates/siblings. Also, I understand that the more similar in appearance the pup's parents are, the more "uniform" in appearance the litter will be.

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
thanks, everyone! I talked to the vet today too, when we went by and picked up medication and they said the same thing. I said, "So it's like fraternal twins?" They said, "Yup." And she takes after Dad, and he takes after Mom.

Thanks again. Y'all are amazing as usual.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are both beautiful.... Congrats on the new addition

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
My 4 friends i got 5 female bullies from same breeder 3 are lean and white 2 are brindle short and husky. My gracie is the shortest.here is a pic of Gracie and Pheobe at 8 monthsuploadfromtaptalk1411774921805.jpg

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
The boys are the same way. Rogan looks exactly like their father and Emmitt looks exactly like their mother. But we cannot tell the difference when they bark. Rogan is the largest and he eats so slow. Emmitt just scarfs it down. Ralphie

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgHi I agree with everyone's advice above, bullies come in all different shapes, and sizes, every bully is different in size, shape, height, length of legs, size of head, colours, and weight. I also have 2 siblings, who are litter mates, and they are completely different from each other. My female Blossom looks bigger than her brother Bulldozer, although they both weigh 45 lbs each. Blossom has a more stockier body, like a barrel shape, and her chest is much bigger than Dozers. She has a bigger head, and she is mostly white with brown markings in her butt and back area. Bulldozer is leaner than his sister, some people,ask me if he's mixed with a Boxer, but he's all EB. He has a smaller head, and he is all Brown in colour.

Here are some pictures of my two guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 58
OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
I appreciate all the help, everyone and I see so much of mine in here, in yours. :lol: She's hyper, he acts like he just smoked a big fatty. She inhales her food. Then tries to eat his. And treat time? Good grief. She swallows hers whole, and then tries to take his out of his mouth. But at poop time, he goes outside like a champ. He pees, he poops, he's back in the house. Her? She's so difficult, sometimes she runs to her crate and sits there and refuses to come out. They couldn't be more different, but then -- I think about my brother, and I couldn't be more different from him, either. :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.