When did you know...ONE wasn't enough?

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i have not had Bullet very long but my heart tells me i want another. now, i am not irresponsible so i will not JUMP right into getting another...YET. i just feel that longing. hard to explain...

anyone know what i mean or have you jumped right in with more than one? i'd love to hear your story. :luv:

L

Lucy-licious

I certainly do Lucy is only 6 months old and i already want her a baby brother :luv:
Just gotta convince chris that 2 will be easier than 1 :lol:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
two is easier, they keep each other occupied. I am not good at telling you when enough is enough, I still could take more!!!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Having had Bulldogs since the early 80s, two is definitely better for the dogs. They have a constant playmate so they aren't as likely to get bored, they exercise each other--be prepared for your house to turn into a doggie gym. On the negative side, they will feed off each other, if one starts chewing on a chair leg, for example, the other will join in. When company comes they will compete for attention, etc. We have found it better not to get littermates and to stagger the age, one or two years apart is perfect. We have only had boys, always neutered them at 6 mos.

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Not long after we got Winston, we knew he needed a playmate. His brother was a 12 yr (now 14) yr old Pomeranian who wanted nothing to do with a bulldog puppy. We also didnt want to jump into something without thinking it through. We decided adopting would be a better choice this time and when we met Hitch a year and a half later (who was in really bad shape) we just fell in love with him. Winston did too. I like to say Winston "picked" him. He did so much for Hitch's recovery and you could just see they loved each other from the start. Then, I fostered a little 1 yr old female. Logic went straight out the window this time. I knew she was home as soon as she walked through the door. I didnt even have to have the "coversation" with my husband....he knew she wasnt going anywhere. They really do benefit is many ways from having siblings.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I got my first bulldog Bentley at 4 months. He did well on his own but I had a nagging feeling that he was bored and lonely - and he was so lazy! Bentley tore his ACL when he was around 14 months old and he recovered but something seemed off to me. I felt he really needed a friend to interact with and to push him a little bit. I found Linus from one of my contacts on Flickr, who bred bulldogs, and had a single pup that she was not able to sell for a variety of reasons. I asked how much and she sent him to me for the cost of shipping. So now I had a 1.5 year bulldog and a 4 month old and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Bentley got SO much stronger and even gained a few pounds of muscle once Linus came into our lives. Linus was a fearless and playful pup and they were a wonderful compliment to each other. Sadly, I loss Bentley in June of last year. It was a painful and difficult time but we decided Linus needed a brother. Enter Truman, the most difficult to train, spitfire of a puppy I've ever met. Linus and Truman have an extremely close and affectionate relationship and I love watching them together. Out of all the regrets and sadness I have about losing Bentley, Truman was one of the best decisions we've made, despite him having hip issues.

So, yes, I am a big believer that bullies do better in pairs! Of course, be sure you have the time, effort and finances to give both the proper life but if you can do it, do it! You'll never be sorry!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I only have one right now and i've been wanting another one since I got him. I have a beagle already at home who is 13 years old and Bear definitely needs a playmate that he can rough house with! I get the longing, I've still got it but finances and time are all against me in getting another one at this time. Hopefully in the next few months and after we take a vacation. Bear was our vacation birthday and christmas presents all in one last year. :up:

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
We had Cassie for 10 1/2 years and she had lots of health issues over the years..lastly being cancer that took her. We always said no more bullies, but once she was gone it was so quiet and lonely in the house. 8 days after Cassie went over the rainbow bridge we got Annabella who is now a rambunctious 10 week old. Our other dog is a Boston and not too happy with us getting a baby so we're going to wait awhile to get another one for Belly to play with . But there will definitely always be bullies in our house from here on out.

Last edited:
OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
i love hearing your stories, thank you for sharing! :) i want to definately enjoy Bullet for awhile before i have to share my attention with yet another pup.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have to admit, I am impulsive! We have a 3 yr. old St. Bernard, and thought we were quite content being a one- dog household. Til last summer, my daughter and son-in-law, who live around the block, decided their little family (they have 3 little boys, a 7 yr. old and a set of 4 yr. old twins) needed a puppy. Their computer was on the fritz so they came to my house and we got on my computer to check out local puppy ads. My daughter wanted a French Bulldog, which seemed very hard to come by, there were no ads for those. My s-i-l wanted an English Mastiff, which my daughter said was insane. They weren't buying a horse! So they finally compromised and decided to go with an English Bulldog. So for several days they came and we called on ads and went and looked at puppies. By the time they got Millie, I was sooo in love with Bullies, I just couldn't stand it! So three days after they brought Millie home, I brought Gertie home. I got her from a different breeder, (GET THIS!) because when I went to get Millie's sister I decided she was too wild and crazy. I wanted a calmer, quieter puppy. Now everyone on here knows what a stinker my Gertie is! But when I went to see her litter, there were 4 girls to choose from, and boy did she lay it on thick! She was so sweet, calm and quiet, gave me kisses and I was instantly in love! Well, Gertie turned out to be an absolute little monster! She chewed, and bit at people (feet and fingers and faces), like so many Bully babies do. I didn't know much at all about the breed, but luckily, I joined here a day after I got her. So I got loads of good advise. After I'd had her about a month I knew she really needed a playmate, so when she was about 12 weeks old, we brought home Ida. She and Gertie are only a couple days apart in age, and getting Ida was the best thing we could have done! Gertie settled down and they're just like sisters. They play together all day, every day. I find myself wanting another puppy more and more lately, since my babies are getting so big and aren't really babies anymore. I love Bullies so much, I just can't get enough!

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
I have to admit, I am impulsive! We have a 3 yr. old St. Bernard, and thought we were quite content being a one- dog household. Til last summer, my daughter and son-in-law, who live around the block, decided their little family (they have 3 little boys, a 7 yr. old and a set of 4 yr. old twins) needed a puppy. Their computer was on the fritz so they came to my house and we got on my computer to check out local puppy ads. My daughter wanted a French Bulldog, which seemed very hard to come by, there were no ads for those. My s-i-l wanted an English Mastiff, which my daughter said was insane. They weren't buying a horse! So they finally compromised and decided to go with an English Bulldog. So for several days they came and we called on ads and went and looked at puppies. By the time they got Millie, I was sooo in love with Bullies, I just couldn't stand it! So three days after they brought Millie home, I brought Gertie home. I got her from a different breeder, (GET THIS!) because when I went to get Millie's sister I decided she was too wild and crazy. I wanted a calmer, quieter puppy. Now everyone on here knows what a stinker my Gertie is! But when I went to see her litter, there were 4 girls to choose from, and boy did she lay it on thick! She was so sweet, calm and quiet, gave me kisses and I was instantly in love! Well, Gertie turned out to be an absolute little monster! She chewed, and bit at people (feet and fingers and faces), like so many Bully babies do. I didn't know much at all about the breed, but luckily, I joined here a day after I got her. So I got loads of good advise. After I'd had her about a month I knew she really needed a playmate, so when she was about 12 weeks old, we brought home Ida. She and Gertie are only a couple days apart in age, and getting Ida was the best thing we could have done! Gertie settled down and they're just like sisters. They play together all day, every day. I find myself wanting another puppy more and more lately, since my babies are getting so big and aren't really babies anymore. I love Bullies so much, I just can't get enough!

LOVE your story, Julie! a bit of me feels like i missed out as i got Bullet just recently and missed that first born stage. but then again, i'm not longing for a new baby...just know in my heart i want another. :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Ready for a downer? It really depends on the puppy that you end up with as a second child. Vegas was diagnosed with epilepsy at 10 months old. We thought we finally had it under control..he hadn't had a seizure in 4 months. 4 MONTHS!!!! That has been the longest ever! Enter Orion. He now has one every 3 to 6 weeks. She is a PITA. She is full of personality and spunk. Piss and vinegar. Sugar and spice. She has us on our toes at all times. She is often better behaved than Vegas...if you can imagine that. She is a type of girl that wants what she wants when she wants it. Not a second later. If Orion is by herself, she plays well, she sleeps well..she even occupies herself well. She is able to comfort herself and amuse herself. She's a good eater and a good poo'er. She is good at commands and she is good for a laugh. She has a stronger personality than Vegas. Vegas continues to "not care" and continually steps in Orion's bubble. That sets her world spinning and she gets upset. No matter how you try and submit her..she will lay slack and give in. Only for the amount of time it takes for you to release her, then she is back at it again. Although I love both my babies dearly, they are not the perfect pair. But, neither were my siblings and I growing up. So, in that aspect...maybe they are the perfect sibling match. They hardly ever lay near each other. In fact, the only times I've seen Orion cuddle with her brother is when Vegas is noticeably in distress. One time, Vegas was having a bad morning after a rough night. He was wrapped in my pink blanket on the couch...shivering. He had to have been shivering for atleast 15 minutes. Orion came over, stood over him and laid down on top of him. He stopped shivering within 5 minutes. I finally lifted the blanket and put her against him. She stayed there about 1/2 hour..then got up and went elsewhere.
So, I recommend trying to fit the personalities of the pups. Don't get me wrong...Vegas and Orion get along. They are great together. They just conflict ALOT.

This photo is the morning Orion cuddled her brother.

Last edited:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I wanted to get 2 when I got Silva but didnt have the money at the time for 2 puppies! We are getting Silva a sister in the spring. We want to wait until spring cause the weather is better for training.

OP
Momma2Bullet

Momma2Bullet

Jan 15, 2011
NE Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullet {booboo}
Ready for a downer? It really depends on the puppy that you end up with as a second child...QUOTE]

Wow, Cheryl. i know there is potential for things to not go smoothly or how we dream them up to be but it sounds like you got a HUGE handful. what a perfect example that sometimes things don't turn out like we hope. i do know what it's like to have pets with constant needs though. my doby (who passed on this past spring at age 14) had many health issues and often needed constant care and supervision through most of her life. it was work but i wouldn't have EVER gotten rid of her.

thank you for sharing your story and those wonderful photos. (hug)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.