Treats for English bulldog who had 9 teeth removed???

codee

Sep 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Martini (he's a male and he came with the name :) )
Hi there, i recently adopted a 7 year old english bulldog, he had to have 9 teeth removed and because of that there are only certain treats that i have found to work for him. we tried giving him a trachea and he loved it, he ate about half then couldn't get his paw and mouth around it in order to eat it. instead he just ended up gumming it. so far the only thing that works is treats like dried liver or lung and they don't last long. i would love to get him a treat (like a bone) that he could actually eat over a longer period of time. suggestions are very much appreciated!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Welcome to the site, [MENTION=12876]codee[/MENTION]! and bless you for adopting your 7yo bully! A couple things come to mind: you can fill a Kong toy with some peanut butter and have Martini lick the pb off. You can get some cream cheese and shape into balls or logs and give these as a treat. What i've mentioned are rather "messy" treats so when i give these to my boys, i usually do so in their crate. Soft meats can also be used as treats...like boiled chicken cut up into small pieces. Hopefully others will be able to give you some suggestions!

OP
C

codee

Sep 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
ok thanks, he also still needs to gain some weight ( i hate feeling his spine :( ) so that would be a great idea! how would his digestive system react to peanut butter or cream cheese? just because i know they have more sensitive stomachs. and I'm assuming if i fed him peanut butter it would need to be organic and not processed right? ive also noticed that he will eat almost anything ( i.e dropped a raspberry yesterday) so would maybe frozen green beans work well?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Get frozen marrow bones from the meat dept or frozen section of your grocery store. He can just lick the marrow out of the center and gum any meat on the bone

:welcome3:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
ok thanks, he also still needs to gain some weight ( i hate feeling his spine :( ) so that would be a great idea! how would his digestive system react to peanut butter or cream cheese? just because i know they have more sensitive stomachs. and I'm assuming if i fed him peanut butter it would need to be organic and not processed right? ive also noticed that he will eat almost anything ( i.e dropped a raspberry yesterday) so would maybe frozen green beans work well?

the PB should be the kind w/out the added sugar; i usually buy one that is only peanuts w/no salt but i don't always go with "organic". As far as how his tummy will react to these heavy foods...just give a little bit at first and see how he does. The cream cheese is dairy so he may get some GI effects; my bullies are okay on dairy for the most part--crm cheese, ice cream in small amts, yogurt, and cottage cheese they do fine on. I think frozen green beans are a very good and healthy treat as well :)

OP
C

codee

Sep 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
ok thanks so much!!

OP
C

codee

Sep 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
update… peanut butter does not agree with martini, he ended up vomiting twice

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
update… peanut butter does not agree with martini, he ended up vomiting twice

Ugh... That is not good... PB is always a great go to. Have your tried cream cheese yet

OP
C

codee

Sep 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
no not yet, just because its not something we keep in the house, but i will soon. I figure ill just give his stomach a break for now though. i did find some salmon skin treats at bosleys and he seems to like those, and they last a little longer. also he does not like celery or greenbeans

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
no not yet, just because its not something we keep in the house, but i will soon. I figure ill just give his stomach a break for now though. i did find some salmon skin treats at bosleys and he seems to like those, and they last a little longer. also he does not like celery or greenbeans

And you used frozen green beans?

OP
C

codee

Sep 24, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
yup frozen green beans, one of the few things he won't eat :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yup frozen green beans, one of the few things he won't eat :(

dang it.... Fruitables make a small soft chew... look for them at Petco or online. They come in many flavors, you might find on that works

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online