Question about neutering. Sorry

caryg

Feb 2, 2014
Leander Tx.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buford
This is only my second post but here goes . Sorry if this has been brought up before but couldn't find the right answer. Buford is 5 years old and the Wife and myself has been discussing the prospect of having him neutered. I am scared like everyone else about having this done. He is a home body not around any other dogs. What makes me scared is finding a good bulldog vet for him. When he was 2 months old He almost died from Pneumonia. His lungs are not the same anymore. He also has allergies that makes his lungs sound worse than most dogs. He is very good with our teen age grand kids and anyone else that tries to pet him or show affection. I am just scared of a vet not knowing how to put him under with right kind of medicine. When I was a kid I had a cocker spaniel bleed to death after a neuter operation. If it wasn't for his breathing problem I wouldn't worry as much. He has been ok for the first 5 years of his life. Am I being to protective.? Just dont want nothing to happen to him. He has had a rough time .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No you are not being over protective, you are spot on. We have many members in Texas and maybe some live near you and can give a good bully vet that you can have evaluate Buford and determine if it is necessary to nuter and what the risks are with surgery based on the lung issues.

best of luck --- I tagged three members I could think of that are in Texas

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't be sorry for any questions. If you and your wife are ok with him not being neutered then don't do it. Our Buster had pneumonia around the same age we had him neutered when he turned one and all went well but I and my wife felt the exact same way as you about his lungs. As long as you can find a good doctor it will go well but like I've said if you don't have a problem with him not being fixed don't worry about it.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I live down in Houston, but that is a long way for you to drive. I took a quick look at our vet recommendation post and there is one on MOPAC in your area. It may still be a drive but it is a vet that was recommended by one of our members.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...ews-Recommended-English-Bulldog-Veterinarians

Dr. Scot Sunbury
Sunbury Vet Clinic
12407 North Mopac Expressway , Ste. 400
Austin, TX 78758
512-255-8387

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Any reason you're deciding to have him neutered now? If there's no health or behavioral issues, I'd leave him alone.

OP
C

caryg

Feb 2, 2014
Leander Tx.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buford
Any reason you're deciding to have him neutered now? If there's no health or behavioral issues, I'd leave him alone.
Not really, We just thought it might be a good idea.After thinking about Bufford I came to the conclusion that I should just let Him be. Just trying to do the best thing for Him. He had a rough time as a little one.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Not really, We just thought it might be a good idea.After thinking about Bufford I came to the conclusion that I should just let Him be. Just trying to do the best thing for Him. He had a rough time as a little one.

Agree, I'd leave him intact <3

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have an excellent bully vet in Houston that we use, but that is a long way from you. There is another one in Navasota too, but also a long drive, Call the vet that Todd [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] had suggested and see if they are still in business and see what they say. I would definitely let a good bully vet check him over and get their opinion on it. I am always in favor of neutering and spaying dogs that are not used for breeding, simply for the long term health benefits, but in your case, it may be better to leave well enough alone. Please keep us informed on what the vet says, and how he is doing.

Members online

No members online now.