Joe update, a thank you and a question

Holly33

Aug 23, 2013
New Hampshire
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Joe
So I just got back from the vet with Joe. He had a great appointment and a clean bill of health. I wanted to thank everyone here because I felt knowledgeable and able to ask the right questions from learning so much here on EBN. The vet said that she can tell that Joe has a great life and that made me proud [emoji1]. My question is that now that Joe seems to be slowing down that he is approaching 8. He seems a little achy at times and I can just tell that he is getting older. The vet suggested that I put him on rimadyl or another pain management med sooner rather than later. She said usually starting meds when you really start noticing is too late. Wanted to know your thoughts on this? and what med you would suggest to make sure Joe stays comfortable as he gets older? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411305905.540424.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411305933.044752.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi joe! You don't look a day over 3 you handsome boy!

Holly33, that's a great question. I'm just not too keen on giving meds unless they are needed, but I will ask my vet on Tuesday.

Do you have him on a joint supplement yet? That is something you could do as a preventative rather than pain meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd be hesitant until there is signs of prolonged pain. I do give Banks Dermaxx daily, but she has a lot of arthritis and has since she was 2... She just turned 9 yesterday. The Deramaxx, she has been on/off most of her life based on signs of pain and time of year

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't have an older bully, but my boxer is 9 years old. I give her NuJoint supplement, and she started having issues walking/getting up and we also discovered she has a bone spur in her neck. I give her Adequan injections twice a month, and it has made a big difference. I agree w/everyone else… I wouldn't start giving him pain management until he needs it.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I wouldn't put her on the drugs just yet unless she truly needs them. Give her a joint supplement like glucosamine. There are also some natural supplements you can try too. Look up Dogs Naturally magazine, they have some good advice for natural remedies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.