How do I cool Lou Lou down safely?

nw536

Aug 30, 2014
It's not very warm outside only 86 degrees but when we take Lou Lou out to potty, it doesn't take her long to start panting... I've read that bullies can't get too hot or they could have heat stroke even in not so hot weather. I'm all new to this and I certainly don't want to lose my baby..

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
86 is really warm for a bully. You can wet her down while she is outside. Do you have AC on in the house? If not fans all over to try and create a breeze. She should only be outside to potty and right back in. I just started letti g my boys lounge on the deck and our temps are now ranging around the low 70's. If she continues to pant inside take a cool wash cloth and put it in het arm pits and groin and give her ice cubes to munch on.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Correction: 86 is really hot for bulldogs, like mentioned above take her out to potty spray her with the water hose if needed and bring her in right away hopefully you have AC or fans.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, great advice as always from above members. I agree 86 is way to hot for bullies. Even temps over 68 degrees can be too hot if it is humid outside. Every bully is different and some are more sensitive than others. When it's hot outside, we don't go on long walks during the day, only out for their potty breaks, and back inside to the AC. We do a longe walk in the early mornings, and in the evenings after dinner and when it cools down, we usually will walk around the block or to the corner store at this time. They love their evening walks, and then they are all tuckered out and will sleep. EB's don't tolerate heat, and dogs don't sweat, so they can become overheated really quickly. Signs of overheating are rapid breathing, excessive panting, high body temperature and blue coloured tongue. If you think your bully is overheated, take his temperature rectally, normal temperature is 101 to 102 degrees F, a temperature above this and at 104 degrees is a sign of heat exhaustion.

I've never had any experience with Dozer and Blossom overheating, but I know that if your dog does overheat, you need to take her to a cool place like in an air conditioned area, or place a fan in front of him. Place a cool wet towel on their body, do not place your dog in a cold bathtub or immerse them in any cold water, as this may cause them to cool to quickly and cause them to go into shock. Also offer them cool water to drink or ice cubes, be careful not to give too much water, especially to a bulldog, as this can cause bloat, or can cause them to vomit and choke. You can also use a garden hose and spray her down, wet her belly and legs. On a hot day you can drive around in an air conditioned car, but never leave a dog in a car under any circumstances, not even for a few minutes. Only take them with you if you can take them into the store with you in an AC environment, otherwise it's best and safest to leave them at home. They have cooling mats, and cooling coats you can buy to keep your dog cool. You can find them on line, or at a Dog/Pet Supply store, and I also saw them at Woofstock, which is a twice yearly event where vendors sell all kinds of dog products. Maybe you have something similar in your area?

OP
nw536

nw536

Aug 30, 2014
Yes the ac is on in the house, and we only take her out to potty but in just that little bit of time she pants ... We usually try to wait for our walk early in the morning or late at night depending on temperatures. Thank you so much for the advice, I will try those and see how it helps her!!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
YOu Can also try spraying water On her with spray bottle.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If she is just going out to potty and right back in, then you don't need to wet her down. Just let her in and she will cool down, if she is really hot, then put a fan on her. I would only wet her down if she got really hot, like on a walk or was playing outside too long. When you wet them down, keep the head dry, they cool off fast that way.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
just a warning I have read on here that the cooIing beds and Jackets have actuaIIy kiIIed dogs when they bit into them and got into the cooIant

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I've read that too, but you would only wear the cooling coat when you were on a walk with them, and like everything else you have to supervise them when they are using this product, especially if you have a bully that chews or bites things.
My guys sleep on the plastic tray in their crate, because they can't be trusted with any textiles or anything that is soft. They can't have pillows, blankets, towels, soft toys, or stuffed animals, as they eat everything. Dozer even eats clothes, especially socks, and paper towels, toilet paper, anything really if he has a chance. Lol. I have two oversized dog pillows that I bought at HomeSense, but they only get to lay on them if they are with us in the living room, and only when we can supervise them. They use them on the floor when we are watching TV. They will usually sleep and lay on the floor, or they will snuggle on the couch with us.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 125

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you bring her right back in after she finishes her business's he will be fine. If you are looking to keep her out for. Period of time... you can see if she will play with the water sprinkler or get a baby pool for her to stand/sit in

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.