teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Thanks all.....
Do we need to boil the liver or should i just dried it raw in freezer? [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] - why do people avoid chicken liver?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If you're feeding kibble, I would boil the liver.
If you're feeding raw, I would keep it raw.

It's not chicken liver per say, but many bullies have chicken allergies so people just avoid all things chicken.
I'm not sure if it applies liver as well though.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks a zillion.

Stupid of me to bought my 1st - 5 pieces of chicken liver, chopped it and dried it in freezer. Thinking how good this will be for my pup.

Will have to boil it tomorrow..... [emoji1][emoji1]

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=11867]teddokun[/MENTION] ..lol.. there aren't any real rules (unless there's allergies involved) I just prefer to keep raw treats with raw feedings, cooked treats with kibble.
But you don't have to.

The commercial freeze dried liver I use to buy for Blue was raw and he didn't have any problems. But when buying raw liver from the supermarket, I just preferred to cook it.
But that could be because I'm just crazy.. lol..

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Thanks a zillion.

Stupid of me to bought my 1st - 5 pieces of chicken liver, chopped it and dried it in freezer. Thinking how good this will be for my pup.

Will have to boil it tomorrow..... [emoji1][emoji1]

It's ok but try to give it to him a morsel at a time to get him and his system used to raw liver first. Raw liver is very rich and if you give too much may result to cannon butt.

@Blueberrys Mom how long do you freeze dry your treats? I did it with tripe one time and it took longer than fridge drying and were spoilt after a week. So didn't do it again after that. I do fridge drying. Once dried it can be kept indefinitely.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] I didn't do my own. I would buy Stewart's freeze dried liver treats. When I would buy normal liver, I would boil it.
[MENTION=11867]teddokun[/MENTION] mentioned drying it in a freezer.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
@dieMuttivonBifi I didn't do my own. I would buy Stewart's freeze dried liver treats. When I would buy normal liver, I would boil it.
@teddokun mentioned drying it in a freezer.

Thought maybe i was doing something wrong. would like to try freeze drying because i can't keep tripe in the fridge, well you know because of the stench (though Bifi loves the smell lol). Were the freeze dried liver look like really dried? i mean like sun dried or does it look different?

JakeP

May 6, 2014
Burbank CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
When I got Jake at 9 weeks, I started training him right away. I used Bil Jac's Little Jack Chicken Liver. He would go crazy over this treat + it is the perfect size; small enough for puppies.

As for cleaning his face and other cleaning routine, start with touching your puppy everywhere! What I meant by that, even if you aren't cleaning him, establish with him that it is okay with you touching his face, opening his mouth, touching his butt, touching his tail, touching is paws, squeezing his paws, touching his nose, just everywhere. I did this with my Jakey. At 6 1/2 months, I can do anything with his face like pinch his nose when he wouldn't let go of something he isn't supposed to play with. I can open his mouth when he is eating something I cannot see and then take it out. When he eats his meal, I can touch his face, hold is paw, grab his bowl and moving it around... just about anything while he is eating. I can do this because I have established early on that it is okay to be touched.

One piece of advice, start training as soon as you get your puppy. 2 minutes max per session 3x a day. Your puppy will look forward to this routine and will be so unhappy when you forget lol. My Jakey gets grumpy when he doesn't get trained. Also, it doesn't have to be food as treats. Jake loves plastic bottles. I use that as his treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] - thank you for the advice. [MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] - i was assuming that we put in the liver into freezer and it will be automatically be dried up. Cos it will be frozen up. Is there specific process one need to do in freeze "drying"?
@ JakeP - Thanks will try to play more with him and touch him more. =) What do you do with the plastic bottle. Do you just gave it to him?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=11867]teddokun[/MENTION] i actually don't know. I'm doing fridge dried and not freezer dried. And assume the Prínciple Is the same. But when i tried freeze drying, it wasnt as good as when i dry the Meat in the fridge. Thats why i'm Asking Too, maybe i did mine Too short Or did something wrong.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
@teddokun and @dieMuttivonBifi

Putting it in the freezer only freezes it. It doesn't dry it. There's still another step.

According to google:

• preserve (something) by rapidly freezing it and then subjecting it to a high vacuum that removes ice by sublimation."

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] thank you for the info! So it's really not something i can put in my pocket.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] - thank you. Guess i cant do it myself then. Not sure how to high vacuum it [emoji1]

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
From what I've read (and science was never my strong point), that it takes the water from the frozen to gas stage without first making it liquid. Or something like that..lol..

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.