teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
All,
Am getting excited by days. He will arrive next week. And i am not sure if i have learnt enough to train him [emoji1][emoji1]

Quick question:
1. A friend of mine recommended frozen carrot or sliced sausages as treat for training. Which one do you think is best?

2. How do you train your dog to behave while you are cleaning his face and ear? I used to have pug and it was a struggle.

Btw, just got this latest pic from the handler:
647f54dfee4e75f00f666e1b4ad9b67c.jpg
cadaec491e9dd3eb8a0b8a9787474bdc.jpg
869113774ba639646858f5cd029c9a84.jpg
595f7967adc512e73af7650d968c5456.jpg
d049558de1df101fe4eeed0f3d30b5e7.jpg
599d57d07e2363c25dd229a8731152cc.jpg

Cant wait and thank you all

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Omg! What a cutie! Can't wait for more pictures of him. Do you have a name picked out yet?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We used kibble and frozen green beans for training. As for cleaning lots of love and praise wbile you are doing it with a special treat afterwards.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I used green beans and freeze dried liver. Would break up the liver into tiny pieces. He went crazy for it. Was easy cleaning him while I had the liver out.
Get his ears, face and paws used to being handled now. Give him treats while you touch his ears and paws. It'll make cleaning and doing his nails much easier when he's fully grown.

Your boy is beautiful. You must be sooo excited!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ted, your baby is beautiful. I wouldn't be able to wait. You're really doing your homework, you're going to be a great Bully Dad. I wouldn't give him frozen carrots or be very careful with them at such a young age, I know my guys don't chew their food, and when I have them to them, they swallowed them whole, and pooped out whole pieces of carrot. I was afraid they would choke on them so stopped. As for the sausages, they may be to rich for a little tummy, plus a lot of store bought treats and sausages have added preservatives, chemicals and are also high in salt which isn't good for dogs or puppies either. I don't give my guys any store bought treats other than Fruitables, or Wellness soft chews for puppies. I give these only once in a while, they usually get natural treats like bananas, cut up apples, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cooked green beans, cooked broccoli, cooked carrots, cooked cauliflower, cheese strings, hard boiled eggs, and plain unsweetened yogurt or frozen yogurt. I would wait until he's older though before giving him any of these added treats, and when you do add them one at a time, for a week, so that if he has a reaction to something, you will know exactly what he doesn't tolerate. When I was training or praising my guys when they were puppies, I just used a couple of pieces of their own kibble as a treat. They are small and it is their food so they are used to it, so won't get an upset tummy.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
What a little cutie. I would not give a pup raw carrots as they can choke on them. I wouldn't give the sausage either, as the spices in it could upset the tummy. Hamburger or the frozen liver works great. We give ours "Fruitables" for treats, but for the pups, we sill break them in small pieces. Also an other treat that is good for the summer is plain yogurt mixed with peanut butter, about half and half, and then freeze small spoonful size pieces on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. As others have said about the face cleaning, just plenty of praise and treats usually gets the job done. Just remember, he is still a baby and it takes time to learn.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Trainers at Petsmart suggest their own kibble and train when they are a bit hungry, this way they do not get upset stomachs and you are not over feeding and with the same instructor near the end of classes says they caII it a treat so make it something different that they Love ie; chewabIes -Liver - go figure

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What an adorable little baby!!

We also used kibble, green beans and freeze dried beef liver for training along with a lot of praise

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all, thank you so much for the input.

May i ask:
1. Liver - presume this is chicken liver? Or any animal will do?
2. Is there limit to treat? Any chance or risk of overfeeding treats?

Thanks

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Ted, your baby bully is so CUTE!!

When you are giving treats for training just remember that you don't need to give them a lot; in fact, just give the size of the very tip of your index finger or even smaller. I have learned that YES, one can go overboard with the treats which may result in an overweight bulldog. Also, remember that you don't always have to give a food treat as a reward; praise and affection are also wonderful "rewards" for training well-done.

I have given my boys both chicken and beef liver, btw. Again, use sparingly b/c of the high vitamin A content.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh My he is adorable you are going to have so much fun with him.

I used kibble for treats and I speak to Ftse when cleaning him and make a fuss of him he is really good and always has been.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi all, thank you so much for the input.

May i ask:
1. Liver - presume this is chicken liver? Or any animal will do?
2. Is there limit to treat? Any chance or risk of overfeeding treats?

Thanks

I used freeze dried beef liver and would sometimes cook it as well.

I don't think it mattes. Many here don't like chicken, but I never had a problem when I boiled him chicken liver. You can also use beef liver.
But if you're cooking it yourself, make sure to cut off all the sinew and give him very, very small pieces.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.