Bulldog puppy feeding suggestions

Donflaminco

Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Tugger
Hello,
I have two 14 week old, English bulldog pups Tugger and Jackson. My questions are:
1. What is the best brand food to feed them?
2. What level should they eat? For example large breed adult, large breed puppy, adult , or regular puppy? My breeder recommends to take them off of puppy and put them on large breed adult at 12 weeks because of the amounts of protein found in puppy food.
3 is there a good brand that isn't really expensive.
Thanks any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
We feed Silva Fromm and we kept her on puppy food until she was about 9-10 months. I am sure you will get some more advice from other members!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Welcome to the site Donflaminco, I can't answer the question, we got Vegas when he was 4 months old. But their are MANY qualified people on this site that will most certainly give you the answer you are searching for and any other questions you may have.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Welcome to our group!! You, Tugger and Jackson will have lots of fun and get so much great info. here. I have two Bully girls, Gertie and Ida, they are both almost 8 months old. I have them on Nature's Variety Prairie. It's an all-stages food, so you don't have to switch from puppy to adult. It's a very good quality food, but it's not super expensive. The praire food is NOT grain free, so is less expensive than the Nature's Variety Instict, which is grain free. What are Tugger and Jackson eating now? Whatever you switch them to, be sure to switch over slowly so you don't upset their tummies. And we MUST see pics of your new Bully babies!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I switched my kiddos to Fromm at around 4 months, it does have 30% protein however. It is not as high as some, but still pretty high. I have never really gotten an answer as to WHY high protein is bad for bulldog puppies. I hear it time and time again, but noone ever says why. Maybe [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] knows? Or anyone else? I would really love to know the answer to this, after over a year of wondering :confused:

The other thing to look at is even though a dog food is more expensive, you will need to give less at each feeding because it is not filled with fillers. We have a page of what we consider to be the best dog food by success stories, ingredients and trying them personally. :)

And we wanna see your pups!!! Please post a photo when you get time!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
we put Chester on Avoderm puppy.. but took him off it about 9 months and put him on regular Avoderm. I agree..switch slowly - I switched over too fast and I ended up with a bully who had a upset tummy (and ended up with boiled hamburger and rice for about a week). And welcome to EBN!!!

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I have been breeding and raising English Bulldogs for more then 6 years, I feed Eagle Pack's Budget line called Prism. Its made with the same quality ingredients as the Eagle Pack line, but has a plainer bag and is minus some of the vitamins and minerals. It has more meat then all the other ingredients together. Dogs and puppies love it. I keep the puppies on the puppy "growth" formula until they are 12 months of age. They need the extra protein to grow. Prism also gives them great glossy coats and a lot of people have switched to Prism after their bulldogs had skin issues, & food allergies, and had it clear up within weeks. There are a lot of good dog foods out there, I have fed quite a few of them. But since we have found Prism, we just love it, and the price is right.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
in answer to your question of high protein dog food, some bullies do OK wiut a higher protien than others, and it depends on many things, age , hyper or not hyper, some bulldogs actually run on jogs, (although I have not seen this and still do NOT believe it to be so ) most must be packed back if waked over a block!
but any way it is all about burning the proteins up much like a working horse or dog. or like us older women. and calories that go straight to the hips. dogs will get hot spots if they can 't tolerate the high protein, BUT YOU WILL know it when they do .
you know what I do ----???? I feed reduced senior Fromm food. the only difference is that the protein content is down to 23% and even the 4star is only 24 % most dog foods are up to 32 % and most bullies don't do so well all the time . and every 2% you can lower the protein is great. for Bulldogs.
the hot spots can be misdiagnosed by many a vet that do not know bulldogs

OP
D

Donflaminco

Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson and Tugger
Jackson
IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg

Tugger.
IMAG0433.jpg

7826e759.png

Both.
IMAG0549.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

kcdaisy

Jan 3, 2011
Kansas City
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Great question!! Our Daisy is about 14 weeks old (got her at 10 wks), and she was being fed Science Diet Puppy. We have had many dogs and are well experienced with fur kids, so I knew the Science Diet was short lived.

Daisy had a respiratory infection, yeast infections in her ears, and was itching all over her skin. After some research we switched her over to Nature's Variety Instinct (grain AND potato free), and we are about 2 1/2 weeks into it. We already see BIG improvements: much less itching, infections went away (w/some help from antibiotics I might add), and her stools have already reduced.

We feed her 2 cups a day, 1 in the am, 1 in the pm. Have to watch her through, because she GULPS her food as if it were her very last meal forever, and she'll vomit it all back up if we don't *help* her slow down.

Good luck!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Oh my gosh [MENTION=1675]Donflaminco[/MENTION] those are some ADORABLE puppies! The last one with the spiked collars is my favorite! I wanted to bring home Annabella's sister also, but hubby said that would be too much with two little ones .

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
thank goodness for the past food,
then the vet could charge you for all the visits that their food caused.
I truly think that grain free is a leap that you may regret. because it is not the grain that they are allergic/reacting to . it is the ingredients other than grain, and the quality of all the ingredients including the grain.
if you switch over to a formula that has grain , you will have a lower protein content and prevent her getting the hot spots that I am afraid she will liklely get , the protien content should be down around the 32 or lower percentage. for Bulldogs!! I know that many Bulldogs have done well on Natures variety for many years, but these days there are much better products, that ALSO GUARANTEE*** in WRITING what and how much of the pre and pro bitotics,(lactobacsislis,) yogurt like LIVE cultures ))that are in the foods!!! sadly Natures variety has not kept up-- nor are they as open about the cooking temps that the food is cooked at! Fromm has AND IS OPEN TO OWNERS QUESTIONS AT ANY TIME. they have a nutritionist on duty all day. the protein is 32 % and the sodium is @ .04 also. the best of grains are used. Bulldogs are not working dogs and will get hot spots from to high of a protein, I even reduce another 1% be feeding senior food that is the same but lower protein.
and the pups food quantity is way to much. til about 7 moths feed puppy food then switch to adult , and in the mean time 3/4 cup a feeding morning then night is plenty, at the 8 month mark , or close to it , back off to 1/2 cup twice a day, for a ample sized but trim Bulldog(unless they are very active/running or jogging daily)even full sized Shepard/setters who are active) do fine on this amount of good dog food, there is no waste/filler, and it becomes cheaper in the long run. by feeding a lower protien you rule out the hot spots and skin issues, and this food or one or two others will keep your Bulldog from going to the vets in 4 to 6 years with life long organ problems. that go unnoticed for that time period, then are there for life! the wrong will over time effect those organs that way. we never get bulldogs into rescue till that age unless they are obviously at an early age reacting very badly to food. liver/kidney/heart/pancreas. are a few that are effected.
mix apple cider vinegar/with water, 50 /50 percent. and twice a week flush the ears. after her antibiotics are done. and she will never get a yeast infection again. twice weekly wipe a cloth soaked in the mix on her paws,face wrinkles/and private areas, to keep them free of yeast also. if she gets this on her body.from this instants infection. you can rinse her for a couple weeks with the mix to clear her body up also. and it is an organic use that is safe.
here is the link to the best slow em down dog dish I have ever used. < ImprovementsCatalog.com>

### 380477 I dont normally recommend plastic, but for a few months, this will fix her gulping.

Slow Feed Dog Bowl - Large

$12.99

Specifications
What’s Included: 1 Slow Feed Dog Bowl
Slow Feed Dog Bowl Dimensions: Medium: 7-1/2"L x 6-1/2"D x 2-1/2"H
Large: 10"L x 8-1/2"D x 2-1/2"H
Materials: Plastic
Available Colors: Red

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What adorable fur kids you have!!! Love them they are so sweet together!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.