E Collar caused horrible wound!

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
My dog had a entropion procedure last Monday. An E collar was put on the day of the surgery and has been on since. On Saturday...which was day 5...i noticed a horrible wound around the lower half of his neck. Very wet...and started to smell. The vet told me to put neosporon on it and gauze until it has to come off. I cant find anything online with anyone ever having a problem like this. Any advice

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
go to a different vet. it sounds like a hot spot and they just spread.

you need a different collar. Something soft and cushiony, that could stay loose around his neck. You also need something to dry the wound out and keep it from getting infected. Neosporin won't dry it out.

you can try Vetericyn, they sell it in most pet stores and it's an excellent product. But from what you wrote, I'd feel safer having a vet treat the wound.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about your baby… I found an inflatable collar at Petsmart that I used for one of my bullies. Blueberrry's Mom is right, Neosporin is NOT going to dry that out. I'm gonna tag some people that might have more insight on this… Good Luck!!! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Ouch! It's likely a contact allergy to the plastic causing a hot spot. Wash it well and try using the soft e collar as the others have suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree... soft collar, shave and clean the area with peroxide and keep it dry. Vetercyn too as Ellie suggested

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Ouch! It's likely a contact allergy to the plastic causing a hot spot. Wash it well and try using the soft e collar as the others have suggested.

Yes. I was going to say the same. Sounds like an allergic reaction to the plastic. Similar to someone who has a latex allergy.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7153]flkjr2[/MENTION] When my dog, Martha had her entropion surgery on both eyes, she had to wear the collar. She got sores all around where the collar was. I used Vetericyn on her sores. If I ever have to use a collar again, I would get one of the "tube" type collars. I bought another e type that was supposed to be soft-but it was very stiff, and black-and too hot for the summer weather.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.