teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
All

Apology to bore you but i am preparing the needs for my puppy to come end of next week. He will be 3 mths old when arrive.

1. I have read various discussions on harness vs leash. What would you recommend me to use? I am just worried having read that leash may choke the puppy.

2. I will crate train my puppy. Do you put water in the bowl or do uou use water bottle hang on the crate?

3. I buy Kong puppy and nylabone for puppy. Are these ok? If not any recommendation for his toy while crate training?

Thank you all

Rgrds

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
no bore, that's why we are here!!

1 I would get a harness because like you said a leash may choke
2 I've used both a bowl and a water bottle. I think a water bottle is best and not as messy but you dont want to get a crate that's to bigg for the pup as it may cause him to pee and poo in it and you dont want that.
3 kongs and nylabones are wonderful toys

:)

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
I tried a collar at first but Frankie would get so excited and start pulling and then choke.. so I got a harness last week and he is doing great with it, I wish I would have tried that first! The Kong and Nylabone are perfect. Since getting the Nylabone, my furniture, remotes and feet are being chewed a lot less frequently! :yes:

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=6717]dolphin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12333]Frankie's Mama[/MENTION]
Thank you.
Some of my friend warns me to nylabone puppy - as concerned they may choke as they grow up. When did you switch to bigger nylabone?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi [MENTION=11867]teddokun[/MENTION]! you have some great questions. I like the harness too for my bullies. They both have collars but i don't use that for their leashes, I attach the leash to the harness.

I've used both the hanging water bottle in the crate and the water bowl. I like the bowl, it's just easier I guess. Nothing wrong with the hanging bottle however, imo.

I would just be very cautious with whatever toy you leave your bulldog with in his crate; not sure if that's what u meant, but don't leave him unsupervised with a toy, especially at first b/c you have no idea how strong a chewer he is yet and he may swallow parts of the toy. Later, when you're more comfortable with knowing what kinds of toys are safe for him then perhaps you can leave the toy with him while he's crated. We have the large Nylabone toys and they've been playing w/those since they were probably a year old. They also still play w/the smaller Kong toys too.

I'm from Indonesia myself; whereabouts are you residing if you don't mind me asking?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When the toy is smaller than the lower jaw (you can lay them upside down and lay toy on top of lower jaw to measure this). Then it's time to throw it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
@calibaker [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Thanks so much for these tips. Am just too worried that he is coming nx week. I cant wait.......

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
@calibaker
Am residing in Jakarta..... [emoji1][emoji1] pls do shout if you are visiting this old country of yours [emoji1][emoji1]

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Congrats on the new pup your water bowl and feeding dish would be best if they were made from steel or porcelain try to avoid pIastic whenever possibIe and your pup should be supervised when playing with toys - good Iuck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
@calibaker [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Thanks so much for these tips. Am just too worried that he is coming nx week. I cant wait.......

Look at you- already such a good puppy parent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great questions... Never a bored! It is why we are all here... Help each other learn

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
@calibaker
Am residing in Jakarta..... [emoji1][emoji1] pls do shout if you are visiting this old country of yours [emoji1][emoji1]

I am hoping to visit in 2015 but i'm not 100% sure b/c i hate leaving my bullies :( It's a tough decision!

I'm from Surabaya and i have family in Jakarta. Selamat Pagi!! :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3::congrats2:Hi Ted Welcome to EBN and the world of bullies. You will love this site, lots of really great information, and lots of great people on here who are always willing to answer your questions, give advice, and share their experiences. You will love being a bully parent, they are the most loyal, loveable and adorable breeds ever. Have you named your new baby yet?
There are many great articles to read on the Home page where you can find information. I look forward to seeing more of you on here, and please share pictures when you get your new baby.

Here is some links you can start with

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...You-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?219-Dog-Food-Ratings

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?538-Great-Male-English-Bulldog-Names

When choosing toys for your bully, make sure you choose toys that are made of hard rubber, and not easily chewed, like the Kong toys, also make sure that they are large enough that they can't be swallowed by your puppy, or have loose parts on them, or threads like a big cotton bone. I made that mistake and my guys chewed off the cotton ends and swallowed them. My guys can't have stuffed animals, pillows, blankets, towels, or any soft squeaky toys for the same reason, they chew and swallow them. Make sure you always supervise your bully when he has toys, and check them often to see if he has bit through them, chewed off pieces, or they are getting small from chewing, and then throw them away. Never leave him in his crate with a toy when you are away.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
All, thanks so much for these advise. Am really hoping we can be good parents and brother to him. Thanks again.
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]
Am afraid of choking, is it ok to give large nylabone for puppy? Or does it has to be puppy nylabone?
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] and all
If you happen to visit jakarta, would love to catch up and talk about bullies. Pls buzz me......

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I would give the larger one, it will just take longer for him to chew it, and when it gets small then throw it away and give a new one, so you don't have to worry about him swallowing a small one or a piece of it and choking. I never get a toy or chew bone that's smaller than their mouth, and they only get them when I'm in the room and can supervise them. I a
also make sure I regularly check their toys over to make sure there aren't any loose pieces, or parts that have been chewed and about to break off, if there is a loose piece, I break it off and throw the piece away, and keep the toy if its still big enough.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.