Acorns-It's That Time Of The Year

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Here in Central Maryland, the acorns are starting to fall to the ground. Acorns from Oak trees are non-condusive to a health bully or any dog for that matter. Please see http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/dog-vet-geller-dvm/acorns-and-dogs-dont-mix.aspx .

Well despite our due dilligence and watchful eye when Jewel and Bentley are outside, Bentley decided to eat an acorn. Needless to say, we woke up to a stench Monday morning only to find our Bentley wanting to escape his poop and puke ridden crate for some fresh air. I can't say that I blame him. He had had diarrhea and puked his previous evenings dinner. In the puke, it appeared that there was part of an acorn in the mess and a piece of Kleenex. After letting him outside, he made a dash to his spot and got into his stance and he let out some gas that rendered the neighbors lights coming on (it was 4:45 AM and maybe just coincidence) and then more diarrhea. Poor guy.

I stayed home yesterday and glad that i did because he had two more episodes of diarrhea but mostly gas and luckily no more episodes of the pukes. I kept him on water only until last evening and gave him a bland diet (Hill's that we had leftover from a similar escapade with Jewel) but only half as much as what he usually receives. I am glad to say that he had a relatively normal stool this morning. Amen.

So pet owners, please be aware of the acorns and your precious loved ones. [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] did provide a list of poisons plants, shrubs, and trees in an earlier post...but I can't seem to find it that provides keen insight of the nastys that maybe lurking in and around your homes/property that can be harmful to your pets.

Bentley has his follow-up with the vet for his hernia repair...I will mention this to her to see if wee need to be aware of anything.

At this point...We were lucky. :whew:

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Great story!:w00t: I am glad he is getting better. It's too bad they don't just realize they ate something bad and avoid doing it again.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww Roger, poor guy, both of you. So sorry this happened to Bentley, these silly guys will eat just about anything, and they never learn their lesson. I've had many sock eating incidences with Dozer and the diarrhea and vomiting that go with it. I'm glad that he's okay and feeling better.

roger if you want to find an old post or are looking for information on a topic, go up to the top of the page, on the right hand side, you will find a box that say advanced search, just type in poisonous plants, or any other subject you want to find and it will take you to all the posts on that subject.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Aww Roger, poor guy, both of you. So sorry this happened to Bentley, these silly guys will eat just about anything, and they never learn their lesson. I've had many sock eating incidences with Dozer and the diarrhea and vomiting that go with it. I'm glad that he's okay and feeling better.

roger if you want to find an old post or are looking for information on a topic, go up to the top of the page, on the right hand side, you will find a box that say advanced search, just type in poisonous plants, or any other subject you want to find and it will take you to all the posts on that subject.
Thanx!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great info, you can never realize all the dangerous things these kiddos can swallow and eat! So glad Bentley is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Great reminder. It is that time of year for us as well and wouldn't you know it the neighbors behind me have a huge oak tree that is already starting to drop acorns. At least they trimmed a lot of the tree this summer so it shouldn't be as bad as last year.

OP
rjisaterp

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great info, you can never realize all the dangerous things these kiddos can swallow and eat! So glad Bentley is okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you and you are absolutley correct. These bullies are little vacuum cleaners and will pick-up just about anything with their mouth.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for sharing what happened. It's an important reminder on the dangers of plants/trees.

These little guys eat everything!! Glad to hear Bentley's doing better.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Excellent information! Thank you! brutus loves to eat leaves and other such droppings he finds in the yard, i'll have to keep an eye out.

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
Here in Central Maryland, the acorns are starting to fall to the ground. Acorns from Oak trees are non-condusive to a health bully or any dog for that matter. Please see http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-information/dog-vet-geller-dvm/acorns-and-dogs-dont-mix.aspx .

Well despite our due dilligence and watchful eye when Jewel and Bentley are outside, Bentley decided to eat an acorn. Needless to say, we woke up to a stench Monday morning only to find our Bentley wanting to escape his poop and puke ridden crate for some fresh air. I can't say that I blame him. He had had diarrhea and puked his previous evenings dinner. In the puke, it appeared that there was part of an acorn in the mess and a piece of Kleenex. After letting him outside, he made a dash to his spot and got into his stance and he let out some gas that rendered the neighbors lights coming on (it was 4:45 AM and maybe just coincidence) and then more diarrhea. Poor guy.

I stayed home yesterday and glad that i did because he had two more episodes of diarrhea but mostly gas and luckily no more episodes of the pukes. I kept him on water only until last evening and gave him a bland diet (Hill's that we had leftover from a similar escapade with Jewel) but only half as much as what he usually receives. I am glad to say that he had a relatively normal stool this morning. Amen.

So pet owners, please be aware of the acorns and your precious loved ones. @Vikinggirl did provide a list of poisons plants, shrubs, and trees in an earlier post...but I can't seem to find it that provides keen insight of the nastys that maybe lurking in and around your homes/property that can be harmful to your pets.

Bentley has his follow-up with the vet for his hernia repair...I will mention this to her to see if wee need to be aware of anything.

At this point...We were lucky. :whew:

We have an Australian Shepherd that is 10 years old.. she eats these ALL the time and has never had issues. We just got our Bully Baby on 7/4/14 and since then I've done more and more research and have read that acorns are definitely toxic to pets... I wonder why Sheba has never had any issues?? Could she be immune?? Since I learned about this, I have gone out and raked up ALL the acorns.. even got the hubby to help by telling him he could use the acorns as bait for his upcoming hunting trip!! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow... What a mess for both of you. Happy to hear he is all better and it was nothing more than an upset system. Never knew about the acorns, thankfully we do not have any in our yard.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
What an Acorn Story! I'm really glad Bentley is better now; poor little guy had some ordeal there. Coincidentally, during our cabin trip, I noticed lots of acorns scattered in the yard. I didn't think much about them tho and the bullies didn't seem interested, thankfully. Thanku for sharing this info w/us!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.