OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Ftse had cherry eye when he was four months old and to start with we could massage it back but it eventually stayed out and we had to have it tacked back in at 5 months Ftse has been good ever since.

Bentleys just started coming out around 8 months old, and like you said at first we could push it in but now it stays out! Every now and then he will go to sleep with it out and wake up with it in lol! We have drops to put in there so now I guess we will wait till the other side comes out and have them fixed! Glad to hear he's doing good!

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
This is so crazy!! Saturday night as we were getting ready for bed I let Frankie out to potty and when he came back in I noticed an awful red bulge in the bottom corner of his left eye.... I googled it, unfortunately I don't have EBN on my phone so I couldn't get help from you pros out there, but it was cherry eye.. I could tell immediately... because it was so late we decided to go to bed, I gently massaged the eye.. it didn't seem to phase my lil' guy, because he started snoring half way through the massage!! LOL Anyway, I woke up a few hours later and to my astonishment, it was gone!! YAY!! It hasn't come back yet but I am so worried.. it looks like it hurts but according to the research I've done, it doesn't hurt unless it gets infected or irritated.. either way, I felt so bad for my poor Bully Baby! I am crossing EVERYTHING in hopes it doesn't return...

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
This is so crazy!! Saturday night as we were getting ready for bed I let Frankie out to potty and when he came back in I noticed an awful red bulge in the bottom corner of his left eye.... I googled it, unfortunately I don't have EBN on my phone so I couldn't get help from you pros out there, but it was cherry eye.. I could tell immediately... because it was so late we decided to go to bed, I gently massaged the eye.. it didn't seem to phase my lil' guy, because he started snoring half way through the massage!! LOL Anyway, I woke up a few hours later and to my astonishment, it was gone!! YAY!! It hasn't come back yet but I am so worried.. it looks like it hurts but according to the research I've done, it doesn't hurt unless it gets infected or irritated.. either way, I felt so bad for my poor Bully Baby! I am crossing EVERYTHING in hopes it doesn't return...

I know it is crazy! It literally pops up out of nowhere! But from what I've been told it will return and eventually will need to be removed...the vet can give you some drops to help with irritation.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I know it is crazy! It literally pops up out of nowhere! But from what I've been told it will return and eventually will need to be removed...the vet can give you some drops to help with irritation.

sazagygy.jpg

Hi.
Diesel ( white ) side eye kept coming out daily, we had the operation and the vet have us 2 options
- cut a small pocket in diesels face, tuck the cherry under and restitch keeping the tear gland.
- just cut it out.
We took the cut and tuck option. If you cut it out you may risk dry eye in later years.

Now the other eye comes out once or twice a year ( usually when the wife has the heating set to high) I 5 second massage and it goes straight back in

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
sazagygy.jpg

Hi.
Diesel ( white ) side eye kept coming out daily, we had the operation and the vet have us 2 options
- cut a small pocket in diesels face, tuck the cherry under and restitch keeping the tear gland.
- just cut it out.
We took the cut and tuck option. If you cut it out you may risk dry eye in later years.

Now the other eye comes out once or twice a year ( usually when the wife has the heating set to high) I 5 second massage and it goes straight back in

That's great to know thank you! Btw, that face is precious!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Bentleys just started coming out around 8 months old, and like you said at first we could push it in but now it stays out! Every now and then he will go to sleep with it out and wake up with it in lol! We have drops to put in there so now I guess we will wait till the other side comes out and have them fixed! Glad to hear he's doing good!

Ftse only had one side the other side never came out, so maybe Bentleys wont either

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hopefully his other one won't...it's looks really bad though when it does come out, but doesn't seem to be bothering him especially with the drops

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, My female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old in the left eye. At first, I was able to massage it back in, but over time it would pop back out, especially after playing or running. We had her at the vets for her puppy needles, and we discussed options with her. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, she tucks it back in, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, she has her own technique that she said has a very high success rate. We opted to wait until we spayed her, and do both surgeries at the same time to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. She had the surgeries at 7 months old, and did very well, and the vet did a beautiful job on her eye. She didn't even have swelling after the surgery. Unfortunately a week after her eye repair the other eye also developed cherry eye, which often happens, that the other eye will also develop cherry eye. We had the second operation to repair her right eye a month later, so ended up having to put her under a second time. She did well, and both her eyes are perfect today. No complications, or relapses. They were done 2 years ago now, and you would never know she had surgery on her eyes.
We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the Drugstore, to keep her eye moisturizer until we did the surgery. The eye and the gland can become dry when it is exposed to the air for long periods of time, the drops keep the eye moist, and free of getting irritated. After her treatment, we had an antibiotic eye ointment that we put in her eye twice a day for two weeks.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hi, My female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old in the left eye. At first, I was able to massage it back in, but over time it would pop back out, especially after playing or running. We had her at the vets for her puppy needles, and we discussed options with her. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, she tucks it back in, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, she has her own technique that she said has a very high success rate. We opted to wait until we spayed her, and do both surgeries at the same time to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. She had the surgeries at 7 months old, and did very well, and the vet did a beautiful job on her eye. She didn't even have swelling after the surgery. Unfortunately a week after her eye repair the other eye also developed cherry eye, which often happens, that the other eye will also develop cherry eye. We had the second operation to repair her right eye a month later, so ended up having to put her under a second time. She did well, and both her eyes are perfect today. No complications, or relapses. They were done 2 years ago now, and you would never know she had surgery on her eyes.
We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the Drugstore, to keep her eye moisturizer until we did the surgery. The eye and the gland can become dry when it is exposed to the air for long periods of time, the drops keep the eye moist, and free of getting irritated. After her treatment, we had an antibiotic eye ointment that we put in her eye twice a day for two weeks.

Extremely helpful! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Today it hasn't popped out at all!!!! Yesterday and the day before it was out for two days! Some days it stays out and some days it goes right back in! It's only in his right eye so far...I've been told it's gonna eventually come out in the other so I should wait unless it starts to become more and more irritated! We do put the drops in his eye everyday which seems to be keeping it from becoming red and more irritated! Like I previously said, he's already had 3 surgeries so I was trying to avoid having to put him through another one, not to mention having to have one eye done then eventually having to have the other one fixed as well!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The eye drops will help to keep the eye from drying out, and protect it from irritation. You can also wash the eye with a saline solution from the drugstore. ( the same kind you would buy for your own eyes. ). Buying most products like eye wash, some supplements, creams, and Benadryl is safe to use on dogs, and is much cheaper than buying them from your vet. You can also ask your vet to write you a prescription for medications and fill them at the pharmacy, rather than buying them from your vet, it is usually cheaper to do this. It is best to wait to do both eyes at the same time, to avoid having to,put him under anesthetic twice, plus it was more expensive to do the second surgery by itself, than it was to do the spay surgery and eye surgery together, due to the fact that the eye surgery is considered a secondary surgery with spaying, having a second surgery costs more because you have to pay for the anesthetic, the pain medications, the IV fluids, and the after surgery care again.

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Shakespeare had one cherry eye pop at 4 months, and the next one 3 weeks after we got the first one fixed! After lots of research and consults, we opted to have them both removed. Everyone I know that had it tucked, had it pop out and ultimately had to have it removed. The vet explained that they only get 2% of their tears from this area so even in the remote chance that it is damaged and they develop dry eye, they would have most likely had dry eye anyways.

He did not put him under, simply gave him (something) to calm and relax him. He was done and ready to leave in less than 15 minutes (we opted to stay longer to observe him since we live 45 minutes from the vet). All they do is clamp the cherry eye and cut it off. We had no bleeding, crusting, any issues at all with either eye. He wore a cone for a few days just to protect it but it didn't bother him at all.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
The eye drops will help to keep the eye from drying out, and protect it from irritation. You can also wash the eye with a saline solution from the drugstore. ( the same kind you would buy for your own eyes. ). Buying most products like eye wash, some supplements, creams, and Benadryl is safe to use on dogs, and is much cheaper than buying them from your vet. You can also ask your vet to write you a prescription for medications and fill them at the pharmacy, rather than buying them from your vet, it is usually cheaper to do this. It is best to wait to do both eyes at the same time, to avoid having to,put him under anesthetic twice, plus it was more expensive to do the second surgery by itself, than it was to do the spay surgery and eye surgery together, due to the fact that the eye surgery is considered a secondary surgery with spaying, having a second surgery costs more because you have to pay for the anesthetic, the pain medications, the IV fluids, and the after surgery care again.

Great information! Thank you so much! I'm going to trying and wait as long as I can to see if the other one will pop out and guess I'll just take it grime there!

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Shakespeare had one cherry eye pop at 4 months, and the next one 3 weeks after we got the first one fixed! After lots of research and consults, we opted to have them both removed. Everyone I know that had it tucked, had it pop out and ultimately had to have it removed. The vet explained that they only get 2% of their tears from this area so even in the remote chance that it is damaged and they develop dry eye, they would have most likely had dry eye anyways.

He did not put him under, simply gave him (something) to calm and relax him. He was done and ready to leave in less than 15 minutes (we opted to stay longer to observe him since we live 45 minutes from the vet). All they do is clamp the cherry eye and cut it off. We had no bleeding, crusting, any issues at all with either eye. He wore a cone for a few days just to protect it but it didn't bother him at all.

That's crazy! I have heard bad things about having it removed, so this is good to know! I just really hate having to do another surgery on him period, he's just been through so much...then again from what I hear they all do!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.