Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cherry eye concern!

The eye drops will help to keep the eye from drying out, and protect it from irritation. You can also wash the eye with a saline solution from the drugstore. ( the same kind you would buy for your own eyes. ). Buying most products like eye wash, some supplements, creams, and Benadryl is safe to use on dogs, and is much cheaper than buying them from your vet. You can also ask your vet to write you a prescription for medications and fill them at the pharmacy, rather than buying them from your vet, it is usually cheaper to do this. It is best to wait to do both eyes at the same time, to avoid having to,put him under anesthetic twice, plus it was more expensive to do the second surgery by itself, than it was to do the spay surgery and eye surgery together, due to the fact that the eye surgery is considered a secondary surgery with spaying, having a second surgery costs more because you have to pay for the anesthetic, the pain medications, the IV fluids, and the after surgery care again.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Alisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Shakespeare
    Likes (Received)

Shakespeare had one cherry eye pop at 4 months, and the next one 3 weeks after we got the first one fixed! After lots of research and consults, we opted to have them both removed. Everyone I know that had it tucked, had it pop out and ultimately had to have it removed. The vet explained that they only get 2% of their tears from this area so even in the remote chance that it is damaged and they develop dry eye, they would have most likely had dry eye anyways.

He did not put him under, simply gave him (something) to calm and relax him. He was done and ready to leave in less than 15 minutes (we opted to stay longer to observe him since we live 45 minutes from the vet). All they do is clamp the cherry eye and cut it off. We had no bleeding, crusting, any issues at all with either eye. He wore a cone for a few days just to protect it but it didn't bother him at all.

Shakespeare-- 10 weeks old

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    The eye drops will help to keep the eye from drying out, and protect it from irritation. You can also wash the eye with a saline solution from the drugstore. ( the same kind you would buy for your own eyes. ). Buying most products like eye wash, some supplements, creams, and Benadryl is safe to use on dogs, and is much cheaper than buying them from your vet. You can also ask your vet to write you a prescription for medications and fill them at the pharmacy, rather than buying them from your vet, it is usually cheaper to do this. It is best to wait to do both eyes at the same time, to avoid having to,put him under anesthetic twice, plus it was more expensive to do the second surgery by itself, than it was to do the spay surgery and eye surgery together, due to the fact that the eye surgery is considered a secondary surgery with spaying, having a second surgery costs more because you have to pay for the anesthetic, the pain medications, the IV fluids, and the after surgery care again.
    Great information! Thank you so much! I'm going to trying and wait as long as I can to see if the other one will pop out and guess I'll just take it grime there!

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsmom View Post
    Shakespeare had one cherry eye pop at 4 months, and the next one 3 weeks after we got the first one fixed! After lots of research and consults, we opted to have them both removed. Everyone I know that had it tucked, had it pop out and ultimately had to have it removed. The vet explained that they only get 2% of their tears from this area so even in the remote chance that it is damaged and they develop dry eye, they would have most likely had dry eye anyways.

He did not put him under, simply gave him (something) to calm and relax him. He was done and ready to leave in less than 15 minutes (we opted to stay longer to observe him since we live 45 minutes from the vet). All they do is clamp the cherry eye and cut it off. We had no bleeding, crusting, any issues at all with either eye. He wore a cone for a few days just to protect it but it didn't bother him at all.
    That's crazy! I have heard bad things about having it removed, so this is good to know! I just really hate having to do another surgery on him period, he's just been through so much...then again from what I hear they all do!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads