Cherry eye concern!

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Our 9 month old EBD Bentley started showing signs of a cherry eye in his right eye! The vet gave us drops to use once a day and said it should keep the inflammation down...it pops up and sometimes goes away on its own and other times we have to gently push it back in! This started about three weeks ago and it was happening every day to two days now it's all the time! What would be y'all's recommendations for my next step for this, or is it time for surgery?

Thanks in advance for any help! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410626222.669430.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Seems like the surgery is gonna have to be done. @vikingirl, [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] @dolpin [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] [MENTION=9105]Pati Robins[/MENTION]. All have experience and could give you so e advice

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
Our younger bully, Trigger, had cherry eye in both eyes. We did get them done. He was about 6 months old at the time. One popped one day, then the other one two days later. They would not go back in, or down, after a few vet visits and eye meds it was decided to have surgery. They did both eyes at same time. If you do surgery. .. Watch the cone!! I had bruises all over the back of my legs where he would ram me with the cone to try to knock it off. ;) he did go through 2 cones. Eyes are bloody and weepy and I cringed when I put meds on in fear of hurting him. The pain meds worked well and he slept a lot. There were a few times during healing period I questioned the decision, but I really am so glad we did it. He is now 1 yr and eyes look great. uploadfromtaptalk1410655807139.jpg! !

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Blue first got it at 4-5 months. We got them tacked once the second one came out a few months later. No issues, and his eyes look great.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Our younger bully, Trigger, had cherry eye in both eyes. We did get them done. He was about 6 months old at the time. One popped one day, then the other one two days later. They would not go back in, or down, after a few vet visits and eye meds it was decided to have surgery. They did both eyes at same time. If you do surgery. .. Watch the cone!! I had bruises all over the back of my legs where he would ram me with the cone to try to knock it off. ;) he did go through 2 cones. Eyes are bloody and weepy and I cringed when I put meds on in fear of hurting him. The pain meds worked well and he slept a lot. There were a few times during healing period I questioned the decision, but I really am so glad we did it. He is now 1 yr and eyes look great. View attachment 76854! !
That face is precious! I was just trying to figure out a way around surgery...he's already had two surgeries on his leg and then his tail...I just didn't want to have to put him under again and then have to put another e collar and confine him...not to mention I heard that sometimes it can do more harm than good! It's great to know that y'all have had great success with this surgery!

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Blue first got it at 4-5 months. We got them tacked once the second one came out a few months later. No issues, and his eyes look great.

Oh wow! So you had to have it removed again?[emoji30] I ask when will the issues ever stop, and I was sadly informed that they never do...lol

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh wow! So you had to have it removed again?[emoji30] I ask when will the issues ever stop, and I was sadly informed that they never do...lol

No, no... sorry I wasn't clear.

First he got it in one eye when he was about 4 or 5 months old, and we would just massage it back in.
Then a few months later, he got it in his second eye.
That was when we decided to have the procedure. They tacked both eyes at the same time. We haven't had any issues since.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
No, no... sorry I wasn't clear.

First he got it in one eye when he was about 4 or 5 months old, and we would just massage it back in.
Then a few months later, he got it in his second eye.
That was when we decided to have the procedure. They tacked both eyes at the same time. We haven't had any issues since.

Yesss! That sounds much better! I'm glad to hear you haven't had anymore issues! So should I wait till the other one pops out and have them both done at the same time? I'm just worried this will start to affect his eyesight...

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am sorry, but i don't have experience with this. However, from what I have learned from the wonderful people here who have dealt with it is that if is is coming out all the time then you are pretty much to the point to where surgery is necessary.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It should not effect his eyesight, it is more of a cosmetic issue than a health issue. Some people decide not to have them repaired as long as they don't get infected or cause any health issues.

I would wait, at least a little while, to see if the other eye also does it, to avoid having two surgeries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I do believe that's what I'm going to do! Just so he won't have to go under two different times. It actually pops in and out and it's only in one eye. I put drops in them everyday to keep it moist and from drying out! Thank you so much for the help!

lynngosox

Aug 20, 2014
I waited for Gracie and the other eye did also get cherry eye. She will now have both done when she gets fixed. She is 8 months old now. Was supposed to be fixed about a month ago but went into heat. Fingers crossed she does well with surgery. Im a little scared.

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Aweeee she will be just fine! I'll say a prayer for her and you!!! Bentley has had 2 surgeries on his leg and a tail removal, and I can honestly say I was completely broken hearted for all 3 of them! Now knowing I'll have to have the cherry eyes removed is just killing me...Definitely keep us posted on how she does!

OP
mrsjamieforrest

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I waited for Gracie and the other eye did also get cherry eye. She will now have both done when she gets fixed. She is 8 months old now. Was supposed to be fixed about a month ago but went into heat. Fingers crossed she does well with surgery. Im a little scared.

Aweeee she will be just fine! I'll say a prayer for her and you!!! Bentley has had 2 surgeries on his leg and a tail removal, and I can honestly say I was completely broken hearted for all 3 of them! Now knowing I'll have to have the cherry eyes removed is just killing me...Definitely keep us posted on how she does!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse had cherry eye when he was four months old and to start with we could massage it back but it eventually stayed out and we had to have it tacked back in at 5 months Ftse has been good ever since.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online