Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry eye concern!

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cherry eye concern!

Aweeee she will be just fine! I'll say a prayer for her and you!!! Bentley has had 2 surgeries on his leg and a tail removal, and I can honestly say I was completely broken hearted for all 3 of them! Now knowing I'll have to have the cherry eyes removed is just killing me...Definitely keep us posted on how she does!

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lynngosox View Post
    I waited for Gracie and the other eye did also get cherry eye. She will now have both done when she gets fixed. She is 8 months old now. Was supposed to be fixed about a month ago but went into heat. Fingers crossed she does well with surgery. Im a little scared.
    Aweeee she will be just fine! I'll say a prayer for her and you!!! Bentley has had 2 surgeries on his leg and a tail removal, and I can honestly say I was completely broken hearted for all 3 of them! Now knowing I'll have to have the cherry eyes removed is just killing me...Definitely keep us posted on how she does!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Ftse had cherry eye when he was four months old and to start with we could massage it back but it eventually stayed out and we had to have it tacked back in at 5 months Ftse has been good ever since.

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    Ftse had cherry eye when he was four months old and to start with we could massage it back but it eventually stayed out and we had to have it tacked back in at 5 months Ftse has been good ever since.
    Bentleys just started coming out around 8 months old, and like you said at first we could push it in but now it stays out! Every now and then he will go to sleep with it out and wake up with it in lol! We have drops to put in there so now I guess we will wait till the other side comes out and have them fixed! Glad to hear he's doing good!

Bully Bootie Duty
    Real Name
    Amanda
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
    Likes (Received)

This is so crazy!! Saturday night as we were getting ready for bed I let Frankie out to potty and when he came back in I noticed an awful red bulge in the bottom corner of his left eye.... I googled it, unfortunately I don't have EBN on my phone so I couldn't get help from you pros out there, but it was cherry eye.. I could tell immediately... because it was so late we decided to go to bed, I gently massaged the eye.. it didn't seem to phase my lil' guy, because he started snoring half way through the massage!! LOL Anyway, I woke up a few hours later and to my astonishment, it was gone!! YAY!! It hasn't come back yet but I am so worried.. it looks like it hurts but according to the research I've done, it doesn't hurt unless it gets infected or irritated.. either way, I felt so bad for my poor Bully Baby! I am crossing EVERYTHING in hopes it doesn't return...

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie's Mama View Post
    This is so crazy!! Saturday night as we were getting ready for bed I let Frankie out to potty and when he came back in I noticed an awful red bulge in the bottom corner of his left eye.... I googled it, unfortunately I don't have EBN on my phone so I couldn't get help from you pros out there, but it was cherry eye.. I could tell immediately... because it was so late we decided to go to bed, I gently massaged the eye.. it didn't seem to phase my lil' guy, because he started snoring half way through the massage!! LOL Anyway, I woke up a few hours later and to my astonishment, it was gone!! YAY!! It hasn't come back yet but I am so worried.. it looks like it hurts but according to the research I've done, it doesn't hurt unless it gets infected or irritated.. either way, I felt so bad for my poor Bully Baby! I am crossing EVERYTHING in hopes it doesn't return...
    I know it is crazy! It literally pops up out of nowhere! But from what I've been told it will return and eventually will need to be removed...the vet can give you some drops to help with irritation.

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjamieforrest View Post
    I know it is crazy! It literally pops up out of nowhere! But from what I've been told it will return and eventually will need to be removed...the vet can give you some drops to help with irritation.

Hi.
    Diesel ( white ) side eye kept coming out daily, we had the operation and the vet have us 2 options
    - cut a small pocket in diesels face, tuck the cherry under and restitch keeping the tear gland.
    - just cut it out.
    We took the cut and tuck option. If you cut it out you may risk dry eye in later years.

Now the other eye comes out once or twice a year ( usually when the wife has the heating set to high) I 5 second massage and it goes straight back in

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjj View Post

Hi.
    Diesel ( white ) side eye kept coming out daily, we had the operation and the vet have us 2 options
    - cut a small pocket in diesels face, tuck the cherry under and restitch keeping the tear gland.
    - just cut it out.
    We took the cut and tuck option. If you cut it out you may risk dry eye in later years.

Now the other eye comes out once or twice a year ( usually when the wife has the heating set to high) I 5 second massage and it goes straight back in
    That's great to know thank you! Btw, that face is precious!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjamieforrest View Post
    Bentleys just started coming out around 8 months old, and like you said at first we could push it in but now it stays out! Every now and then he will go to sleep with it out and wake up with it in lol! We have drops to put in there so now I guess we will wait till the other side comes out and have them fixed! Glad to hear he's doing good!
    Ftse only had one side the other side never came out, so maybe Bentleys wont either

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Hopefully his other one won't...it's looks really bad though when it does come out, but doesn't seem to be bothering him especially with the drops

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, My female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old in the left eye. At first, I was able to massage it back in, but over time it would pop back out, especially after playing or running. We had her at the vets for her puppy needles, and we discussed options with her. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, she tucks it back in, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, she has her own technique that she said has a very high success rate. We opted to wait until we spayed her, and do both surgeries at the same time to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. She had the surgeries at 7 months old, and did very well, and the vet did a beautiful job on her eye. She didn't even have swelling after the surgery. Unfortunately a week after her eye repair the other eye also developed cherry eye, which often happens, that the other eye will also develop cherry eye. We had the second operation to repair her right eye a month later, so ended up having to put her under a second time. She did well, and both her eyes are perfect today. No complications, or relapses. They were done 2 years ago now, and you would never know she had surgery on her eyes.
    We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the Drugstore, to keep her eye moisturizer until we did the surgery. The eye and the gland can become dry when it is exposed to the air for long periods of time, the drops keep the eye moist, and free of getting irritated. After her treatment, we had an antibiotic eye ointment that we put in her eye twice a day for two weeks.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    en_US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, My female Blossom developed Cherry eye when she was 5 months old in the left eye. At first, I was able to massage it back in, but over time it would pop back out, especially after playing or running. We had her at the vets for her puppy needles, and we discussed options with her. Our vet doesn't remove the gland, she tucks it back in, and has been doing this surgery for over 20 years, she has her own technique that she said has a very high success rate. We opted to wait until we spayed her, and do both surgeries at the same time to avoid putting her under anesthetic twice. She had the surgeries at 7 months old, and did very well, and the vet did a beautiful job on her eye. She didn't even have swelling after the surgery. Unfortunately a week after her eye repair the other eye also developed cherry eye, which often happens, that the other eye will also develop cherry eye. We had the second operation to repair her right eye a month later, so ended up having to put her under a second time. She did well, and both her eyes are perfect today. No complications, or relapses. They were done 2 years ago now, and you would never know she had surgery on her eyes.
    We used over the counter Refresh eye drops from the Drugstore, to keep her eye moisturizer until we did the surgery. The eye and the gland can become dry when it is exposed to the air for long periods of time, the drops keep the eye moist, and free of getting irritated. After her treatment, we had an antibiotic eye ointment that we put in her eye twice a day for two weeks.
    Extremely helpful! Thank you so much for sharing this with me! Today it hasn't popped out at all!!!! Yesterday and the day before it was out for two days! Some days it stays out and some days it goes right back in! It's only in his right eye so far...I've been told it's gonna eventually come out in the other so I should wait unless it starts to become more and more irritated! We do put the drops in his eye everyday which seems to be keeping it from becoming red and more irritated! Like I previously said, he's already had 3 surgeries so I was trying to avoid having to put him through another one, not to mention having to have one eye done then eventually having to have the other one fixed as well!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads