To use the Cone or not

SpikeS

Oct 21, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
So Spike got neutered and I opted to use the ProCollar instead of the cone (see pics). Well as I suspected Spike won that battle and now I'm debating even putting anything around his neck for the simple fact that I don't think he can reach that area. Anyone else have experience with this? I read a post where DavidH did not use one with his females.

Also spikes wetness in his eye fold seems to be from undersized/incomplete tear ducts. Got them flushed and only one eye was showing small signs of the dye in the nose. image.jpgimage.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have never used one with any of my bullies... Not only could they not reach, they didn't even try too

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If he can't reach his privates, it's just too cruel to use it....

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with others above, I didn't use a cone with Blossom when she was spayed and had her cherry eye repaired, or when Bulldozer was neutered, they were both 7 months old. My vet sent them home without a cone, and she didnt suggest i use one. They didn't try to touch, lick, or scratch their surgical areas, and most bullies are unable to reach those parts. Lol. I would leave him cone less, and see how he does, he will be more comfortable, and will sleep better without it. Watch him during the day, and if you see he is trying or is getting to his stitches, then maybe he will need it, but I don't think so. The healing for the neuter is very quick, Dozer was fully healed in a week. The hardest part of the post surgery instructions was trying to keep them from running around and jumping up and down from the couch.

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
We used a cone for Trigger when both of his eyes were done. We took his cone off once because I was the brunt of his cone ramming (he would run up on you and ram the cone into you in hopes of forcing cone off) He has long legs for a bully, and tried to use back leg to scratch at one of his eyes so we put it back on in fear of harming his eyes.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
If he can't reach his the stitches, and bullies generally can't- there's no reason to keep the cone on (if that's all it's for).

I don't understand the second half of your post about his eyes though...

Members online

No members online now.