Need some help

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
well after months of zeus having blood in his urine and multiple vet visits, finally found out he had stones in his bladder. Little guy had surgery and just got home. Unfortunately the vet says since it happened when he's so young(1yr back in may) he may be prone to them again. I currently have zeus eating fromm but the vet is suggesting i sweet him to Royal Canin,I guess they make a type of food that prevents the stones from forming again. Im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if they are familiar with the food.Price doesnt matter if its actually going to help keep him healthy and prevent this same situation from happening but if there is another alternative( like a cheaper brand) id love to know about it. Vet said the stones were most likely Calcium Oxalate and the fodd i should switch to is Royal Canin Urinary SO a prescription food.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] can you help you with this. She had the same thing happen with one of her boys. But she feeds Raw.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
MOST LIKELY! What the...f..k, sorry for my french, but the vet should know and find out exactly what type of stones your boy is prone to develope. Oh boy this makes me mad....sorry again. You need to find out for sure the type of stones before you can decide what to feed him and there's always an better alternative to RC...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Riikka, as there are more than one type of bladder stones. I don't have any experience with foods that are bad or beneficial for kidney stones, but you can potentially reduce them or avoid them by giving him a cranberry extract supplement. I break open a cranberry supplement and put on their kibble. Cranberry can help prevent bladder infections and stones as well as apple cider vinegar.

Bladder and Urethral Stones in Dogs

Kidney stones are rare in dogs. Bladder stones are common. Stones that form in the bladder may pass into the urethra. All dogs can develop bladder stones. Breeds with an increased incidence include the Miniature Schnauzer, Dalmatian, Shih Tzu, Dachshund, and Bulldog.

Bladder and urethral stones may be large or small, single or multiple, and may pass spontaneously or obstruct the lower urinary tract. Stones in the bladder eventually cause painful urination and blood in the urine.

Most bladder stones are struvites (that is, they’re composed of magnesium ammonium phosphate). They form in an alkaline urine and are usually preceded by a bladder infection. The bacteria and urinary sediment form a nidus around which the ammonium phosphate is deposited.

Uric acid stones form in an acid urine, and are frequently associated with inherited alterations in urate metabolism. Dalmatians and Bulldogs are genetically predisposed.

Other stones are calcium oxalate and cystine stones. Cystine crystals have been found in Newfoundlands and many other breeds. There is a genetic test offered by VetGen, OptiGen, and PennGen to detect carriers and affected dogs with this problem. Silica stones are rare; they occur most often in male German Shepherd Dogs. These stones are not usually associated with a preexisting bladder infection.

Stones that are large or numerous can sometimes be palpated through the abdomen. In most cases the diagnosis is made by X-ray. A contrast dye study may be needed for definitive diagnosis. Stones not visible on an abdominal X-ray can often be seen by ultrasonography or IVP. A urinalysis is routinely obtained.

Stones that pass spontaneously and those that are removed surgically should be analyzed, if possible, since the composition of the stone influences the treatment of any remaining and future stones.

Treatment: Bladder infection, if present, is treated as described for Cystitis (page 414). In many cases the stones can be dissolved over weeks or months by feeding the dog a special diet. Struvite stones dissolve in an acid urine, requiring a diet low in magnesium and protein-accomplished by feeding Hill’s Prescription Diet s/d, or Royal Canin Urinary SO 13. Uric acid stones respond to a low-purine diet (Hill’s u/d), along with the drug allopurinol. Cystine stones also respond to Hill’s u/d, along with drugs that dissolve cystine. Feeding a vegetarian diet, such as Royal Canin Vegetarian Formula, may help prevent urate stones. There are no methods currently available for dissolving calcium oxalate and silica stones. However, diets and supplements can be used to reduce the risk of recurrence.

Surgical removal is the treatment of choice for urethral stones that cause obstruction and for bladder stones that fail to respond to a diet change and medication. Surgery is also indicated when medical treatment is contraindicated because of congestive heart failure, or when there is a need for more rapid resolution of symptoms.

The formation of new stones occurs in up to 30 percent of cases. The dog should be seen and checked at regular intervals. Your veterinarian may recommend long-term dietary changes and/or the addition of supplements such as vitamin C, raspberry seed extracts, or cranberry extracts.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you give cranberry to my boy that has hyperuricosuria and is prone to develope urate stones, you can potentially give him bladder stones, so you must and need to know what type of stones he had! Cranberry is not the cure for all stones it can create some. Cranberry is beneficial for stones that are formed in alkaline urine as it makes the urine more acidic. My boys urine is so acidic that if I would give him cranberry he would most likely develope stones in no time.....so you need to know what kind of stones he had...I can't stress you enough with this!

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Sorry I should've added that the vet I go to is smaller and has sent off the stones to find out 100% what kind they were

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My girl was on canned Royal Cabin for her UTI per my vet.After reading the ingredients I was less than thrilled. She had about a months worth of pills and now she's fine but my vet was worried about her developing stones because of her crystal level and she has a Vag lap as I call it so it doesn't breathe there well :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sorry I should've added that the vet I go to is smaller and has sent off the stones to find out 100% what kind they were

Great news, unfortunately a huge number of vets do not do this and just prescribe prescriptions and rx dog food, instead of finding out the exact type and then coming up with a diet plan. Let us know what the results are when you get them. :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you give cranberry to my boy that has hyperuricosuria and is prone to develope urate stones, you can potentially give him bladder stones, so you must and need to know what type of stones he had! Cranberry is not the cure for all stones it can create some. Cranberry is beneficial for stones that are formed in alkaline urine as it makes the urine more acidic. My boys urine is so acidic that if I would give him cranberry he would most likely develope stones in no time.....so you need to know what kind of stones he had...I can't stress you enough with this!

I didn't know this, excellent information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Just so everyone knows it was the type of stones the vet thought and zeus is dojng better but has to switch to a Royal Canin type of food to prevent this from happening again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just so everyone knows it was the type of stones the vet thought and zeus is dojng better but has to switch to a Royal Canin type of food to prevent this from happening again

what type are they? there could be alternatives to the prescription foods

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
The brand is the royal canin the type is just urinary SO. I looked at the ingredients and not to happy so if anyone has any suggestions let me know

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You can search the internet for a food that would be similar ingriedients. I had a diabetic dog who was on a canned prescription food for several years. I finally just couldn't afford it, and searched for somethiing similar in the non prescription foods. Found one. She did better on it than she ever did all the years on the p.d. Perhaps you may be able to find something.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The brand is the royal canin the type is just urinary SO. I looked at the ingredients and not to happy so if anyone has any suggestions let me know

sorry, I meant what type of stones?

OP
Owens

Owens

Jun 16, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
They were some type of bladder stones I can't remember the exact name, sorry

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts