Tail ?

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Beau is my first bulldog and I hadn't really took much notice of her tail when we got her but, since having her I've been looking at others and they seem to have either a curly tight tail or one that sticks up, beaus is very straight but hangs down, only lifts when she is toileting, is this a normal tail for a bulldog to have ? Thank you ps if the pic comes out sideways I apologise it always does when I use I pad

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 201

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Congratulations, beau has THE perfect bulldog tail. The best is just like that, carrot shaped tail.

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
HA! We were a bit concerned when we brought Ruby home in July.
So, what I found from research is that the straight tail is still prominent in European lines. I also found out that Ruby's Grandfather is from Russia.

I found that the Straight tail is supposedly typically healthy.
With Ruby, her's is about 5-6" long. It laid flat and pointed to the ground for the first 2 weeks that we had her. She had a bulldog friend visit and it "freed" her tail. We noticed after that that she has total control over whether it is raised or flat. Sometimes it points straight out, sometimes it is slightly raised and much of the time it is wagging. It's pretty funny to see it writhing like a snake. Don't be surprised when she starts moving it around more.

Bonus- Ruby rarely soils her tail. It is like a cover that goes up when she makes a deposit. We still need to wipe on occasion.

So here is the AKC standard:
Tail - The tail may be either straight or "screwed" (but never curved or curly), and in any case must be short, hung low, with decided downward carriage, thick root and fine tip. If straight, the tail should be cylindrical and of uniform taper. If "screwed," the bends or kinks should be well defined, and they may be abrupt and even knotty, but no portion of the member should be elevated above the base or root.

20140724_141621.jpg

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Oh wow, I guess I dropped on lucky then, I had no idea there were different tail types thank you for your comments !

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Tight tails tend to have pockets and are a pain to deal with- can lead to tail amputation. My duke has a tail like your pup. These tails in my opinion are nicer- if only the American lines would breed these tails it would make for a much healthier aspect of the breed. Tight tails are a disqualification in Europe.

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
I never new that. I thought they had like a curly pig type tail and it wasn't till recently I thought. Why has she got a longer straight type, I didn't think it would be a desired type cos I have never seen one, even here and I live in England

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they come in all shapes and sizes.... you definitely lucked out with a straight one!

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
Beau is a beautiful Bully with a perfect tail!! :yes: I was worried about my Frankie's tail when I first brought him home too. He has since learned to control it fully and it is THE CUTEST thing!!

mrsjamieforrest

Sep 11, 2014
Country
en_US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Our baby had a double corkscrew tail and had to have it completely removed a few weeks ago...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410497098.042503.jpg. We absolutely adore him tail or no tail!

OP
K

Katie demes

Aug 31, 2014
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Beau
Wow that's fantastic how well that has healed in only 8 days !

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I've got to ask..... Can she full-on wag her tail??
When winslow is very excited, and you look really closely, you can see his wiggle. So thats why im so curious haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)