teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
Hi all

Been reading articles in this site. I wonder, how old before you started to give yogurt to your puppy?

Can i start giving him at 3 months old?

Thank you

Rgrds

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I started giving my Harlea small amounts of plain yogurt at 9 weeks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Ted, you can absolutely give your puppy yogurt. I started my guys on yogurt when they were 4 months old, but would have started earlier if I had known the benefits. Yogurt is a great source of Probiotics, which aids in digestion, kills parasites and other bad bacteria in the body, and boosts the immune system. I add 2 Tbsp to their morning kibble everyday. They love it.

The Benefits of Probiotics for Your Dog

Ted here is a list of the benefits of yogurt, and Probiotics. These are a list of probiotics in pill or supplement form, that you can buy from your vet, but this is both expensive and unnecessary, as plain unsweetened yogurt will give the same benefits and can be bought at the grocery store. I buy the two pack of Liberte plain yogurt from Costco for $5.49. Add 2 Tbsp's to the morning kibble.

Friendly bacteria can play a ā€œbest supportingā€ role in your dogā€™s digestive health.

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that live in the digestive tract. There are a variety of different species belonging to genera that include Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Streptococcus, and Enterococcus (often abbreviated by first initial only in names). Some species, such as Lactobacillus, live primarily in the small intestine, while others, such as Bifidobactera, reside in the large intestine (colon).

Check the expiration date on any probiotic you buy for your dog; if the product doesnā€™t have one, donā€™t buy it!

Benefits: All dogs can benefit from probiotics, which aid digestion and modulate the immune system. Probiotics produce short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which inhibit the growth and activity of harmful bacteria, such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Clostridium perfringens, as well as providing other benefits to the intestines. Human studies have documented the effectiveness of certain strains in treating diarrhea, irritable bowel, and intestinal inflammation (fewer studies have been conducted on dogs). Probiotics may help prevent urinary tract infections, and can even reduce allergic reactions by decreasing intestinal permeability and controlling inflammation.

Species with specific strains known to benefit dogs include Enterococcus faecium (strain SF68) and Bacillus coagulans. Bifidobacterium animalis (strain AHC7) has been shown to reduce the time for acute diarrhea to resolve in dogs. Certain strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus improve frequency and quality of stools in sensitive dogs. Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain GG (LGG) is effective in preventing and treating diarrhea in humans, and may benefit dogs as well. Probiotic products may contain one or several strains.

Cautions: Some probiotic species require refrigeration in order to remain viable; follow label recommendations for storage. Itā€™s questionable how many survive passage through stomach acid into the digestive tract, and whether they then colonize or must be continually replenished.

Many products, particularly those that are not refrigerated, contain fewer live organisms than their labels claim. Freeze-dried probiotics may last longer than refrigerated or other powdered products, especially if the powder is exposed to moisture (such as when the container is opened and closed). Probiotics in commercial foods may not survive processing or storage. Probiotic products should always provide an expiration date.

Dosage: Probiotics are measured by colony forming units (CFUs). Few studies have been done to determine effective dosages, but these numbers are usually in the hundreds of millions or higher. If probiotics are being used to help with digestion, they should be taken with meals, but otherwise they may survive better if given between meals, particularly if taken with liquid that helps to dilute stomach acid and move them more quickly into the digestive tract (maybe give them after your dog takes a big drink). Probiotics may be given short-term or long-term.

When using products intended for dogs, follow label suggestions for dosage. When using human products, give the full dosage to dogs weighing 40 pounds or more. Reduce the dosage for smaller dogs or if you see loose stools.

Recommended Sources:

Examples of canine probiotic formulas that include strains known to benefit dogs:

-Thorne Researchā€™s Bacillus CoagulansVet (thorne.com)

-Jarrowā€™s Pet Dophilus (jarrow.com)

-Vetri-Scienceā€™s Vetri-Probiotic (vetriscience.com)

-Nusentiaā€™s Probiotic Miracle (nusentia.com)

-Purinaā€™s Fortiflora (fortiflora.com)

Several people whose dogs have serious digestive disorders, including small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), have told us of success using Primal Defense with homeostatic soil organisms, made by Garden of Life (gardenoflife.com). Products made for humans can also be given to dogs.

Yogurt and kefir with live cultures often contain lactobacillus acidophilus, and sometimes other species as well, but dosages are usually lower than those in supplements.

OP
teddokun

teddokun

May 15, 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Country
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
Sky (aka Stardust Iron Dome)
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]
Thank you so much for this.....

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
My two love love love greek yogurt. It's helped them so much with tear stains and yeasty skin!

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
I have always fed mine yogurt. I honestly do not notice the health benefits but I am convinced there are many. I have always fed it to them because I know it is not bad for them and they absolutely love it. Besides, we always have it in the fridge....we eat a lot of it. Low Calorie, low or zero fat....great protein and calcium. The one bad thing that comes from feeding them yogurt is every time someone opens a container, they think it is for them, or at the very least, we should be sharing.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ill second what Libra926 said....all my pups and dogs just loooove plain Greek yogurt :)

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
YES!! I give it to Frankie with his AM kibble everyday and he loves it!! Also, it makes his gas smell less like------> :poo:! :yes: lol

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online