kat76

Jun 25, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona Harley
Hi everyone,
Can u tell us when and what to expect when Harley goes into heat her first time? She is 5 months old today. I have never even had a female dog so I am really green!
Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members for you... I have no experience with this as I had Banks spay done before her first heat

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I don't know either, we had Lola spayed before her first heat thankfully. Folks will chime in.

sent from my droid mini

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kat, every dog is different and it is also different for different breeds. Smaller breeds usually go Into heat earlier than a large dog. The average age for a dog to go Into heat is 5 to 6 months of age, a female will have a heat every 6 to 8 months, and it usually lasts about a week.

OP
K

kat76

Jun 25, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona Harley
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully one day I will be able to answer a question instead of just ask them lol!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it. Hopefully one day I will be able to answer a question instead of just ask them lol!!

Check out the new FAQ forum, your input would be great!

First heats can vary drastically from dog to dog. Some are very messy while others barely bleed at all. Some have a "silent heat" where they don't even bleed.

Heat cycles typically last a full month from start to finish. First the vulva will start to swell. Then the heavy bleeding will start, and that usually lasts about 1-2 weeks. When the heavy bleeding starts to go away, you will have residual bleeding for another 1-2 weeks, and during that transition is when they usually ovulate.

It is important to keep her highly protected as makes can smell her heat cycles for miles.

Pet stores have "panties" you can buy. They also sell liners. I however just use human maxi pads.

Depending on the severity of the swelling of the Vulva she may be pretty uncomfortable and sore. To give her a break from wearing panties get a few old towels or sheets to put in her crate so she can rest comfortably.

Just as with humans, they can also get moody. Hormones (estrogen) will start so don't be surprised if she starts acting out and testing her boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guidoi

Apr 17, 2013
Coconut Grove, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Clementine
Good luck! Clementine had her first heat last three weeks... We placed a dipper on her and she was ok with that... Make sure you keep an eye on her when she's around male dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

kat76

Jun 25, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Fiona Harley
another thank you for the added posts. It is so nice that with how busy life has gotten there are people willing to take the time to help someone else. That is what I like the most about finding this site. Everyone is so kind and willing to help and never make me feel like my questions are dumb or that I'm dumb for asking them.
Thanks again

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online