The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am doing the happy dance this morning. We hit another milestone with Harlea and her food saga. She has been on her new food fully for a few days now and this morning was the first time in months that she didn't stop and scratch before going out after breakfast and her belly looks amazing. She even has fur starting to grow back between her back legs which has been gone for the last 4 months, and even when she does give herself a scratch you can tell it is just the normal ok I have an itch type instead of the OMG make it stop type of scratching. :happydance:

Right now she is strictly on a vegetable protein diet for at least another 3 weeks and then we will start to introduce animal proteins back in to her diet slowly.

I am extremely happy with the progress so far in such a short time and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Her fur is softer, less shedding, belly isn't red and bumpy, no stinky tears and all in all she is more active now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yay for Harlea!!!! That's just wonderful news Todd!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Todd...thank you for giving us this positive and needed news on Harlea.
Group hug!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That is great news Todd. You are a great Bully Dad, and so dedicated to finding the right foods for Harlea that she can tolerate. It can be such a frustrating and time consuming process to find the right foods and proteins, but so worth it is when you finally find something that works. Great job. I hope she continues to improve on her current food.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
If anything else come out of this I have found another thing to use as a treats. She goes bonkers when she sees the Garbanzo beans come out now like she does with bananas.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Great news! Happy to see her doing better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
fantastic news.... paws and fingers crossed it continues to be positive results for your girl!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I am doing the happy dance this morning. We hit another milestone with Harlea and her food saga. She has been on her new food fully for a few days now and this morning was the first time in months that she didn't stop and scratch before going out after breakfast and her belly looks amazing. She even has fur starting to grow back between her back legs which has been gone for the last 4 months, and even when she does give herself a scratch you can tell it is just the normal ok I have an itch type instead of the OMG make it stop type of scratching. :happydance:

Right now she is strictly on a vegetable protein diet for at least another 3 weeks and then we will start to introduce animal proteins back in to her diet slowly.

I am extremely happy with the progress so far in such a short time and I am keeping my fingers crossed. Her fur is softer, less shedding, belly isn't red and bumpy, no stinky tears and all in all she is more active now.
What is she on?

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
@brutus77 We switched Harlea to The Honest Kitchen Preference base mix. It has no animal protein so we can control what she gets. Right now we are detoxing her with the mix and vegetable proteins only and she is doing great. The stuff looks and smells horrible when you mix it up but Harlea loves it. One thing that is awesome about this mix is that you can do raw or cooked animal proteins with it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This just shows what an awesome job you've beeing doing with her diet, [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] :)

how did u decide to switch her off from animal protein to just the vegetable protein diet? was that recommended by your vet? Finn gets so itchy sometimes still and i've tried lots of different things but maybe he can benefit from this Honest Kitchen food too. At times I'm wondering if it's psychological with thim tho!

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
This just shows what an awesome job you've beeing doing with her diet, @Marine91 :)

how did u decide to switch her off from animal protein to just the vegetable protein diet? was that recommended by your vet? Finn gets so itchy sometimes still and i've tried lots of different things but maybe he can benefit from this Honest Kitchen food too. At times I'm wondering if it's psychological with thim tho!

What mainly made the decision for us was that her vet wanted to put her on that Science Diet prescription food that had all of those grains and other crap in it that we have never given her. Another factor was the horrible reaction she had when we switch her food to Lamb and Lentil. We aren't out of the woods yet as she still has Pork and Peas in her system, but so far so good.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION], a follow up question as i was just looking at the HK website; which one is Harlea on? the "Kindly" one? i may get a starter pack or a 2lb box to check it out.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
@Marine91, a follow up question as i was just looking at the HK website; which one is Harlea on? the "Kindly" one? i may get a starter pack or a 2lb box to check it out.
We are using the Preference Base Mix. The Kindly and Hale base mixes are new and just came out a few weeks ago. Here is a picture of the box. Also, give them a call before you go out and buy a box. They will send you some samples like they did for us.

preference.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online